"Joker" graphic novel by Brian Azzarello

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine shipped from Amazon, waiting in anticipation for it's arrival. Tomorrow, probably.

Batman's the best thing DC's got going for 'em.

Mine shipped from Amazon, waiting in anticipation for it's arrival. Tomorrow, probably.

Batman's the best thing DC's got going for 'em.

I was thinking of getting it on Amazon too, but it's currently listed as preorder and not available until Nov. 4th. How is yours shipping already?

I was thinking of getting it on Amazon too, but it's currently listed as preorder and not available until Nov. 4th. How is yours shipping already?

Amazon confirmed mine as shipped, so it should be here any day now. If I have to wait til Nov. 4, it would suck, but not a big deal since I got it at the pre-order price. When I ordered, it was listed as an Oct. 29 release. :confused:

Two-Face is in it and is a major character. The Joker v. Tow-Face conflict is one of the driving plots.

Mine came few hours ago, gave it a read, it was weird....pretty weird.
It was definetly not like the dark knight, it was again something quite original, it somehow felt like Joker + Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll and Batman didn´t show up until very very late but that is not really a problem.
Like the ign review I do however say it was rushed, the paintings are quite superb but the comic panels just seem rushed.

Mine came few hours ago, gave it a read, it was weird....pretty weird.
It was definetly not like the dark knight, it was again something quite original, it somehow felt like Joker + Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll and Batman didn´t show up until very very late but that is not really a problem.
Like the ign review I do however say it was rushed, the paintings are quite superb but the comic panels just seem rushed.

Would you recommend a purchase or reserve from the library?

Well BUY the killing joke and reserve it, I mean I bought it for 15$ and compared to others well... for 15$ (12 euros or something like that) it was well worth it but let´s see.
If you want to see the Joker cry (yes, he cries) get it, if you do not want to see Batman until he shows up on 3 pages later, buy it.
Buy Arkham Asylum, buy Killing Joke but RENT THIS ONE.
Unlike A.A. you won´t need to read it several times.
Here are the high points from Joker:
~He cries on the stomach of Harley
~He takes some kind of pill, X, cocaine, whatever
~Did I mention he is twisted and unlikeable
~He kills for the lulz
~All the cool sick ^^^^ like skinning a guy or others only last one panel
~The novel was definetly rushed, some panels are really painted, others just comic
~When he is seen, Batman looks awesome
~HIGH body count
~Jokers uses ANOTHER every day object to kill A BLACK GANGBANGER
~ It is pretty much Heath Ledger on drugs, only the wrong drugs
~He is definetly not as immortal in this one like in TDK, he also is not the domination of everything and did I mention he has not style, is unlikable and MAKES NO ^^^^ING SENSE
~Rent it
~Buy Arkham Asylum, Year one, dark kngiht returns, Killing Joke but this one is simply decent, not amazing, but decent.

Again to sum it up:
It´s a story about the Joker, a less likeable Joker that makes less sense than ever, sure I do not want him to make sense but what´s the point of killing 2 old people "for the lulz".
It was a weird read, try and rent it and give it your own opinion.

Got mine, a very short read actually.
Story is ok for me, lots of violent scenes (well, its a graphic novel, its meant to be graphic)
Art Style is cool, especially for Harley :p
You can tell theres actually quite alot of TDK influence to the way characters are drawn.

My main gripe is too little of batman.....yeah well, its a story titled the Joker but a little more of batman cant hurt right?

TDK influence? I thought that the artist had published some artwork with the same joker makeup as in this comic, way before TDK was even made. I could be wrong though...

TDK influence? I thought that the artist had published some artwork with the same joker makeup as in this comic, way before TDK was even made. I could be wrong though...

hmm...Im not sure bout that, it could be the other way wrong too.

Yup, the artwork for this Joker turned up a while before TDK info. Most thought it was concept art at first. He also did an artwork of a Denzel Washington look-alike as Two-Face before we knew who was playing Harvey or if TF was even in the movie.

I'd say the artwork was definitely inspired by Nolan's "realistic" Batman universe. Take a look at Killer Croc for example, he looks nothing like the mutant croc depicted in the comics and animations. Don't think this approach would've been present had it not been for Nolan.

As for the Joker's look I think it could go either way. Azzarello said so himself in an interview that the Joker's look in this comic and in the TDK may have been independent creations.

I'd say the artwork was definitely inspired by Nolan's "realistic" Batman universe. Take a look at Killer Croc for example, he looks nothing like the mutant croc depicted in the comics and animations. Don't think this approach would've been present had it not been for Nolan.

As for the Joker's look I think it could go either way. Azzarello said so himself in an interview that the Joker's look in this comic and in the TDK may have been independent creations.

absolutely. that's why i enjoyed this Joker book so much. i prefer Nolan's "realistic" take on the Batman universe. he keeps many of the ideas as grounded as possible so that we're not totally in another world like xmen or hulk.

Back