"Joker" graphic novel by Brian Azzarello

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like an "ultimate" version of the DC villains based on the way they are drawn.

I haven't had a magazine in a while, but this looks interesting. I order mine from Amazon 13.94 and free two day shipping, pretty good deal

this looks like its going to be interesting, the joker's mannerisms from the preview pages don't seem to be exactly like the tdk one but the look seems to be similar. this joker seems to be more insane but at the same time more mellowed out

looks great to me. I don't really read many graphic novels but 'm gonna pre order this next week probably. Thanks for the link mate.

Wonder if they're going to retcon in the scarred-look Joker into the comics world like they have the Donner Krypton with Superman?

Nah. I'm sure some books and artists will use it from time-to-time, but I don't think it will become the canon Joker look for the comics.

Speaking of Krypton, it's about time they go back to the whole retro sci-fi look, imho.

I had no idea this was coming out so thanks for the tip! It'll make a nice substitute for the lack of comic book novelization of the film.

Looks ok, not very original. The look is just taken from the dark knight. Don't really like it.

damn wrong. the look from the joker of tdk is based on this graphic novel. dc just missed to release this before the movie came out.

nolan has the inspiration from lee and not lee from nolan!

damn wrong. the look from the joker of tdk is based on this graphic novel. dc just missed to release this before the movie came out.

nolan has the inspiration from lee and not lee from nolan!

That's not entirely true. The story goes that Lee Bermejo did an interview with the website Batman on film shortly after begins came out. The guy that runs the site, Jet, asked Lee to talk about what he would do with the characters in a movie, and he referenced a darker version of each...like the joker with scars like the black dahlia murder that had effected him when he saw those pictures earlier in his life. This is at the start of this project with azzarello.

As far as nolan copying him...I don't think its entirely rocket science to come up with the joker having a scarred face to make him a permanent personality, instead of the permawhite skin and green hair. So maybe he or someone who works for him saw that interview on the internet, maybe not...both are very likely.

The only thing that is similar is the scarred smile, other wise its the same old joker. He didn't look at the dark knight and draw it from there, and nolan didn't look at this comic and create it from there. Ultimately, both characters will be very much the joker..thats where the gray areas begin of who copied who. it's simply aesthetic. I think Lee's joker might still have permawhite skin and green hair.

Lee bermejo has been working on this project for four years and has only really been able to dedicate his time to this and i think a monthly cover, and pretty much stopped working on anything else.

i think to assume he copied someone else after putting so much of his life into it is a bit unfair. Same goes for Nolan who made, in my eyes, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Now, when people see all the liberties both artist's took with the characters the ^^^^s really going to hit the fan.

Seems like an "ultimate" version of the DC villains based on the way they are drawn.

I think that nails it. Azzarello's writing and Bermejo's art give that feel. It's clear that Nolan et al. based their Joker's look on Bermejo's art; he drew Joker looking this way a while back too:

bermejo_joker1.jpg

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for to look of Batman in Nolan's movies:

BATMAN_HUSH_RETURNS.jpg

It would be nice to see a series of figures based on Bermejo's art. He does a nice Superman too:

LexLuthorManOfSteelCv1.jpg

(and not a bad Luthor).

Anyone go and buy this today? I did and am about 3/4 through it. It's great! Feels really tied into Nolan's universe. I would suggest you all go get it.

It's 19.99 and Two-Face is in it, though not a lot. He is awesome in it, you kind of see how Bermejo draws him a lot more realistic, and why Nolan chose to go a little less with his. Realistic looks really....ishy. However Two-Face has more of the duality to him. The Joker whenever he's speaking to Two-Face asks which one is he talking to. Finished reading this and it really is great.

The books take on Croc and the Riddler are also very original and fit the "realistic" world great.

One more thing to add, The Joker is not funny in this. In fact, I found myself quite disturbed by him and the use of a narrator along for "the ride" with the Joker really adds to this. A minor spoiler:

The scene that really stands out is towards the end and the narrator, Johnny, is with the Joker and The joker decides to just break in to an apartment. Johnny asks him "Who lives here?" The joker replies "Who Cares!". Flash to an old couple in bed awakened by the noise. Next panel, Joker lying on the bed, covered in blood, along with the walls and the bed. He's laying on body parts with his razor blade resting on his chest. Johnny is just sitting on a chair, horrified by the man he's aligned himself with. Like I said, this book is violent as hell and goes a long way to make us not laugh with or at The Joker.

Sounds great and $20 is not a bad price either. I'll have to check this out soon, probably when the next Stand issue comes out.

Back