Joining or starting discussions:A supportive,neutral,or intimidating experience?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

work13

Super Freak
Reaction score
how do you feel about posting your comments or thoughts here at Sideshow freaks? Is it generally a positive experience, where your views and comments are encouraged, supported and respected when they differ from others? Is it a neutral experience, where it's neither good, nor bad but just sort of in the middle? Or is it generally an intimidating experience, where views and comments are often subjected to harsh ridicule, sarcasm and judgement? (There is a poll and all poll results are anonymous)

Last edited:
how do you feel about posting your comments or thoughts here at Sideshow freaks? Is it generally a positive experience? Where your views and comments are encouraged, supported or at least respected when they differ from others? A neutral experience, where it's neither good, nor bad but just sort of in the middle? Or is it generally an intimidating experience? Where views and comments are often subjected to harsh ridicule, sarcasm and judgement?

From my experience all these years, most collectors respect (or ignore) others' posts, quite a lot are always pretending to be funny (and are hardly ever succesful), and then there are a few that I really don't get why they haven't been banned for life yet.

:wave

From my experience all these years, most collectors respect (or ignore) others' posts, quite a lot are always pretending to be funny (and are hardly ever succesful), and then there are a few that I really don't get why they haven't been banned for life yet.

He summed it up. Thread closed.

He summed it up. Thread closed.

Don't scare me like that! You had me fooled for a second there. It's not the first time my threads have been closed, and BTW-thanks for the positive and highly supportive response.:wink1:

Last edited:

Finally, a sincere, and fair response.
(P.S: I hope that last sentence wasn't an indirect reference to me :()

Cheers josephCPR:duff

Starting new threads is just generally frowned upon unless you're an established member whose name everyone knows. Not saying thats rightfully so but its just the way it is here. While I sympathise with noobs who get jumped on I must admit I also can't help but go :slap at some threads...especially when the 'official' and established thread for the particular topic is right there!

Starting new threads is just generally frowned upon unless you're an established member whose name everyone knows. Not saying thats rightfully so but its just the way it is here. While I sympathise with noobs who get jumped on I must admit I also can't help but go :slap at some threads...especially when the 'official' and established thread for the particular topic is right there!

I hear ya. You remember how many times I got my hand slapped/threads closed by some of the mods/veteran members? I totally agree with your post though. When people first join, they don't understand the proper etiquette of searching first for other related threads before posting a new thread. So when they accidentally post something that has already been posted, they should be told and properly and respectfully redirected to the appropriate thread. It's just that "how" they are told that there is already an existing thread is where sometimes the problems come in. Often they are very harshly ridiculed, and sarcastically informed by other more experienced members. This can often taint the posting experience for new members to the point where they are too intimidated to post again.

In their defense however, the search functionality doesn't work that well-everybody knows it -except the new members, so it's hard to fault them sometimes for posting a thread that was already posted a few months back. I've often posted a new thread, after performing what I thought was a thorough search, only to be told that there was already a related thread posted a few years back because the seasoned member remembered the old thread.

I've seen other new members re-post threads, and I have to admit, it bugs me too and makes me go :slap. But I keep it in, and try and re-direct them in a nice, and respectful, non-sarcastic way. We should Just be nice about it is all I'm saying.

So wait this thread is to either complain or cheer about how an individual is treated when posting in a thread?

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

There is a set atmosphere on any discussion board that you must assimilate to if you wish to be part of that board. The posters from the last two years don't know hazing at all. You have gain a thickskin, you have to remember that on any discussion board everyone has internet testicles and says whatever the hell they want, because what is really going to happen? Caps lock? I remember when I first joined half of the newbies were given the old David Caruso ____ You gif for a majority of their posts. :lol

2.gif

Just kidding!

or am I?
thinking.gif

So wait this thread is to either complain or cheer about how an individual is treated when posting in a thread?

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
Well actually, this thread is more out of morbid curiosity more than anything else believe it or not. Just curious about how people feel about posting in this forum is all. How do you feel about it?

There is a set atmosphere on any discussion board that you must assimilate to if you wish to be part of that board. The posters from the last two years don't know hazing at all. You have [to] gain a thickskin, you have to remember that on any discussion board everyone has internet testicles and says whatever the hell they want, because what is really going to happen? Caps lock? I remember when I first joined half of the newbies were given the old David Caruso ____ You gif for a majority of their posts. :lol
So, how do you feel about the particular atmosphere here at Sideshowfreaks? Are you saying we need to have a pretty thick skin to post here? If yes, is it a good thing or bad thing? Is the thick-skin hazing environment what you prefer or would you rather have a more positive, supportive and respectful type atmosphere? Just curious.

FYI, not taking things too seriously is the best way to get along on this board. I've been a member since '03 and although some have wanted it to have a nice, supportive vibe, the only way to actually have that is to assimilate and become a full fledged Freak.

fantasy-mnster-25.gif

I actually take that back a little. Some newbies are very insightful, thoughtful and respectful with their posts. I don't see them getting hazed as much. :D
Too many seem only concerned with getting a higher post count and type random replies. Lame. :monkey4

Don't scare me like that! You had me fooled for a second there. It's not the first time my threads have been closed, and BTW-thanks for the positive and highly supportive response.:wink1:

Oh, you're welcome. Not much needed to be sad since he said it perfectly.

FYI, not taking things too seriously is the best way to get along on this board. I've been a member since '03 and although some have wanted it to have a nice, supportive vibe, the only way to actually have that is to assimilate and become a full fledged Freak.

fantasy-mnster-25.gif
Fair enough. sounds pretty simple. or is it? :monkey1

:lecture:lecture:lecture

After 3 years here with one or two exceptions I can get on fine with everyone. There has been a learning curve but its all good now for the most part.

So, how do you feel about the particular atmosphere here at [Sideshow Freaks]? Are you saying we need to have a pretty thick skin to post here? If yes, is it a good thing or bad thing? Is the thick-skin hazing environment what you prefer [?] Would you rather have a more positive, supportive and respectful type atmosphere? Just curious.

Fine, Yes, Yes, Yes, No.

tumblr_lrbvk0AbfQ1ql2xyuo1_400.gif

Back