JND / Kojun Works to do sixth scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also gave collectors a warning label lol..
I mean HT basically does that with pretty much all their figures in their instruction booklets with a bunch of warnings of what not to do with the figures. Only difference here being that JND put it in a video ahead of time and that's got ppl spooked. I'm pretty sure InArt has warnings in their booklets as well.

HT never put a warning out letting ppl know that some of the dye in their fabrics would forever stain the necks/heads/hands/bodies or whatever else comes in contact with them on some of their figures. Regardless of the what anyone thinks of the characters, it sort of sucks that purple coat Leto Joker would get purple stains all over the body or how most Star Wars jedi/sith robes need to be hand washed before putting them on the figures to make sure they don't stain.

Not saying JND are saints for saying it ahead of time, but we shouldn't pretend like some other companies don't do the same things like putting warning notes with their figures or sometimes not at all.

Last edited:
The warning is specifically about the so-called 30-year medical-grade silicone.

I'm not opposed to progress in materials used but you've gotta be the most faithful person to even buy into something that might end up looking like a nut-sack

The warning is specifically about the so-called 30-year medical-grade silicone.

I'm not opposed to progress in materials used but you've gotta be the most faithful person to even buy into something that might end up looking like a nut-sack
I guess I just don't see what the big deal is about there being a warning regarding the silicone? Most if not all of us have had some run in with pleather disintegrating on belts, jackets, holsters, boots and pants and we never get a warning about how long those parts are supposed to last. It just happens. And we either have to hope to find replacements that are still in good/new shape, or pay a relatively large amount to a custom tailer remake those parts out of real leather materials.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the likeness on the old cinemaquette statues, from pics I've seen of ones still in ppls collections (Indy and Jack Sparrow), they still appear to be in just as good a shape as when they were originally released over 10 years ago. Of course, who's to say how they'll look in another 10 or 20 but I image silicone technology has probably advanced since then just as most things have to be more durable.

I understand being weary about silicone given it's newness in the way it's being used by JND for 1/6 scale, price and and I guess its close relation to rubber which is known for cracking, but all my years having phicen/tbleague bodies, I've never had one crack or show signs of degrading. I do think there appears to be a bit of over reaction to this whole idea of silicone turning into something after a couple of years, most likely due to the price tag added to it. If JND products weren't so expensive, I'm more than sure there would be less complaints about the materials being used.

I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other, though, as I don't have a preference to any one company at this point. But, certain grievances ppl have with JND just don't really make sense to me

Last edited:
HT never put a warning out letting ppl know that some of the dye in their fabrics would forever stain the necks/heads/hands/bodies or whatever else comes in contact with

No warning, but they did start putting those neck wraps on every figure where there was a risk... so that should have warned the uninitiated.

No warning, but they did start putting those neck wraps on every figure where there was a risk... so that should have warned the uninitiated.
Even so, doesn't really matter to have that or any of the plastic wraps HT have put on the figure in the packaging if the purpose is to remove them for display. Then you're back to square one. Wouldn't it be better for them to apply a fixative to the fabric to make sure the dye doesn't leach and stain? Or verify wherever they're getting their textiles from that the fabrics they're using for mass production won't have the colors leach out instead of the temporary fix of the plastic wraps?

That little neck wrap is more "read between the lines" than an actual warning to those who may not be aware that the fabric could stain the neck and other parts, which I would argue is worse than JND explicitly giving an approximation on the longevity of the silicone they're using. Not to mention, that 30 year warning is a minimum not a maximum.

Last edited:
Where’s this warning at? The only warning stated in the video was solely about the articulated finger joint arms only available in Type C. That should be obvious, they’re extremely thin and delicate. But most people aren’t buying that version so it shouldn’t apply.

Where’s this warning at? The only warning stated in the video was solely about the articulated finger joint arms only available in Type C. That should be obvious, they’re extremely thin and delicate. But most people aren’t buying that version so it shouldn’t apply.
Not sure if this is what the guys in here are referring to, but the is all I remember JND mentioning about the longevity of their silicone. Would love to hear if there was something else though

488038-487965-IMG-2821.png

I mean HT basically does that with pretty much all their figures in their instruction booklets with a bunch of warnings of what not to do with the figures. Only difference here being that JND put it in a video ahead of time and that's got ppl spooked. I'm pretty sure InArt has warnings in their booklets as well.

HT never put a warning out letting ppl know that some of the dye in their fabrics would forever stain the necks/heads/hands/bodies or whatever else comes in contact with them on some of their figures. Regardless of the what anyone thinks of the characters, it sort of sucks that purple coat Leto Joker would get purple stains all over the body or how most Star Wars jedi/sith robes need to be hand washed before putting them on the figures to make sure they don't stain.

Not saying JND are saints for saying it ahead of time, but we shouldn't pretend like some other companies don't do the same things like putting warning notes with their figures or sometimes not at all.
you could always give them a white jumpsuit under as shield. for hard plastic body i wrap the areas around with plastic wrappers but doing so on rubber/silicon might cause reaction

Not sure if this is what the guys in here are referring to, but the is all I remember JND mentioning about the longevity of their silicone. Would love to hear if there was something else though

488038-487965-IMG-2821.png
that 30 years is for the base material. once reworked it probably less than 30.

I don’t see that as a legitimate concern, I highly doubt anyone here will be still collecting in 30 years. A new car is far more expensive and they’re usually only good for a few years until they reach 100k miles, then they’re junk for the most part. We buy expensive 4K tvs just to upgrade it in a few years, can’t even make any money back besides just phasing out the older ones in your home with them. In 30 years the glued hair on a sculpt will dry out and fall off. Nothing lasts forever.

you could always give them a white jumpsuit under as shield. for hard plastic body i wrap the areas around with plastic wrappers but doing so on rubber/silicon might cause reaction
That's besides the point though. The transfer of dye from the fabric onto the figure therefore staining it pretty much forever in any capacity shouldn't be happening in the first place.

However, the point was comparing how ppl seem to have an issue with whatever longevity notice JND has put out about the silicone, yet HT more than likely knows of this as an issue but has yet to do anything about it; nor have they ever once (to my knowledge) publicly acknowledged the dye or pleather deterioration as an issue and made a warning about it in the way JND has about their silicone. The only figure that I can remember (though I'm happy to be corrected) that HT sort of made an effort was The Wolverine where they gave him an additonal long sleeve undershirt to mitigate the staining of the black shirt onto the muscle body and possibly put a notice in the instructions. But, you'd still get staining on the neck from the shirt collar so it wasn't 100% preventative.

As for wrapping a silicone body in plastic, so far it doesn't seem to have had any sort of negative reaction when doing so with any Phicen/TBLeague bodies I've used as far as using something like plastic wrap like one might use with food.

that 30 years is for the base material. once reworked it probably less than 30.
That's all guessing and hypotheticals though. You could say that and then someone else could say the exact opposite which I recently saw in the FB JND Collector's group when this came up. Someone mentioned they still have a silicone doll from the 70s that looks brand new. Really, anyone can say anything and we really won't know until the time comes. At the end of the day, none of us will know until either the first person posts about their issues X amount of days/months/years later or after 30 years and some folks still have pristine statues/figures.

I don’t see that as a legitimate concern, I highly doubt anyone here will be still collecting in 30 years. A new car is far more expensive and they’re usually only good for a few years until they reach 100k miles, then they’re junk for the most part. We buy expensive 4K tvs just to upgrade it in a few years, can’t even make any money back besides just phasing out the older ones in your home with them. In 30 years the glued hair on a sculpt will dry out and fall off. Nothing lasts forever.
Agreed. I mentioned something similar in the JND Geralt thread. Glued on hair will dry out and deteriorate and you'll need to have the sculpts rehaired. Though, admittedly, it's theoretically easier to get a sculpt rehaired than getting a whole silicone sculpt replaced. But, as you mentioned, nothing lasts forever so I guess it's a choice to enjoy something for as long as it does last rather than ultimately waiting for the worst to happen.

At the end of the day, it's ultimately up to the collector to do what's right for them, their budget and their collection.

Exactly, just enjoy your collection for as long as you want, then move on. You grow appreciative when you know time changes all things, to not get wrapped up into material things having to be by your side till death. Have fun with it, nothing more.

cars a necessity for most, but resell value affects the purchase decision. dolls are not necessity, folks buy them not expecting them to go bad over the years if kept in good environment, some see them as investment just like antiques and art pieces.

and classic cars do have their values. just like HT 1.0 will drop in value when a superior 2.0 comes out, if a figure is no longer in production and theres demand the value goes up. a shame when almost every copy of blade or the crow have had their pleather suit ruined.

Exactly, just enjoy your collection for as long as you want, then move on. You grow appreciative when you know time changes all things, to not get wrapped up into material things having to be by your side till death. Have fun with it, nothing more.
it sucks pleather breaks down after 5 years and you have to deal with the mess.

That's besides the point though. The transfer of dye from the fabric onto the figure therefore staining it pretty much forever in any capacity shouldn't be happening in the first place.

However, the point was comparing how ppl seem to have an issue with whatever longevity notice JND has put out about the silicone, yet HT more than likely knows of this as an issue but has yet to do anything about it; nor have they ever once (to my knowledge) publicly acknowledged the dye or pleather deterioration as an issue and made a warning about it in the way JND has about their silicone. The only figure that I can remember (though I'm happy to be corrected) that HT sort of made an effort was The Wolverine where they gave him an additonal long sleeve undershirt to mitigate the staining of the black shirt onto the muscle body and possibly put a notice in the instructions. But, you'd still get staining on the neck from the shirt collar so it wasn't 100% preventative.

As for wrapping a silicone body in plastic, so far it doesn't seem to have had any sort of negative reaction when doing so with any Phicen/TBLeague bodies I've used as far as using something like plastic wrap like one might use with food.

That's all guessing and hypotheticals though. You could say that and then someone else could say the exact opposite which I recently saw in the FB JND Collector's group when this came up. Someone mentioned they still have a silicone doll from the 70s that looks brand new. Really, anyone can say anything and we really won't know until the time comes. At the end of the day, none of us will know until either the first person posts about their issues X amount of days/months/years later or after 30 years and some folks still have pristine statues/figures.

Agreed. I mentioned something similar in the JND Geralt thread. Glued on hair will dry out and deteriorate and you'll need to have the sculpts rehaired. Though, admittedly, it's theoretically easier to get a sculpt rehaired than getting a whole silicone sculpt replaced. But, as you mentioned, nothing lasts forever so I guess it's a choice to enjoy something for as long as it does last rather than ultimately waiting for the worst to happen.

At the end of the day, it's ultimately up to the collector to do what's right for them, their budget and their collection.
i believe most fabric dyes will stain, real clothes will stain, just we dont wear the same shirt all year.

in fact even fabric of different colors and materials stains just because they came in prolonged contact for years, most of the collar on my light colored shirt has some sort of stain around the neck and sleeves and waist where different materials meet even with the hard plastic neck. polyester may have less risk of staining.

If it’s not the pleather, it’s the joints on the bodies becoming loose causing a need for a body swap. If it’s not the sculpt then it’s the glue the hair was applied with. If it’s not the figure itself, then it’s a 2.0 that blows it out of the water zapping any resale-ability. The idea of seeing these things as an investment should have long faded when you see people with massive collections of the old Star Wars figures that can’t even give them away now. Comparing these figures to vintage cars is pointless, there’s a market for vintage cars. Vintage figures? No.

i believe most fabric dyes will stain, real clothes will stain, just we dont wear the same shirt all year.

in fact even fabric of different colors and materials stains just because they came in prolonged contact for years, most of the collar on my light colored shirt has some sort of stain around the neck and sleeves and waist where different materials meet even with the hard plastic neck. polyester may have less risk of staining.
I mean no offense by this, but what sort of clothing are you wearing that they're all staining each other? The only time I've ever had staining issues that I can recall have been blue jeans where the blue dye would stain the tops of some white shoes, but that hasn't happened since I was a kid. Can't say I've had any clothing in my adult life where they were staining each other or my skin when they come in contact with each other.

I mean no offense by this, but what sort of clothing are you wearing that they're all staining each other? The only time I've ever had staining issues that I can recall have been blue jeans where the blue dye would stain the tops of some white shoes, but that hasn't happened since I was a kid. Can't say I've had any clothing in my adult life where they were staining each other or my skin when they come in contact with each other.
i am saying most dyes stain, it doesnt stain because you dont wear them whole year like a figure.

try stack a brown cloth together with white for a year see if it stains. dyes on cotton doesnt stick as good as polyester.

If it’s not the pleather, it’s the joints on the bodies becoming loose causing a need for a body swap. If it’s not the sculpt then it’s the glue the hair was applied with. If it’s not the figure itself, then it’s a 2.0 that blows it out of the water zapping any resale-ability. The idea of seeing these things as an investment should have long faded when you see people with massive collections of the old Star Wars figures that can’t even give them away now. Comparing these figures to vintage cars is pointless, there’s a market for vintage cars. Vintage figures? No.
i did not follow sw scenes but arent the vintage sought after and high valued, in good condition?

Back