Jiu An Studio x Virus Studio 1/6 scale : Samurai of the End of the Shogunate 末幕

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jiu An Studio x Virus Studio 1/6 scale : Samurai of the End of the Shogunate 末幕

Wow man that is a lot, shame I don?t have that much of funding permit. It?s a shame HT has gone downhill since all of its best artists had now gone. The recent head sculpt really scared me off to be honest, and the accessories are awfully little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a lot - but like I said, I sold some pieces off and set aside money that would have gone on other stuff. So it's fine if you're okay not getting 5 additional Hot Toys for example. It was both a way for me to streamline my collection and gain a personal grail.

Now whenever I look at the Joker I think bloody wow, that looks incredible, instead of thinking, damn, they really missed a trick here. So worth it for me.

I definitely view everything differently now. I don't think a lot of us on here are rich, but we do have enough disposable income to buy high end figures which many, many people in the world would shout how can you spend that much on a toy! So it just depends how you view it, you want 5 pieces which are really good but not really permanent in the collection, or one piece which will be there for years to come.

I was strictly Hot Toys before this. Now I'm perhaps thinking of the 1/3 Joker statue and this piece. But would mean that I'd be able to get like one or two Hot Toys within the next year, something begets sacrifice here, ultimately I'm not really changing the amount of money I'm spending on luxury items.

I'd definitely recommend looking over your collection or what's coming up and asking yourself are a lot of these must haves in your collection, or are they there or going to be there because you have/had the money and sort of like it.

Re: Jiu An Studio x Virus Studio 1/6 scale : Samurai of the End of the Shogunate 末幕

I'd definitely recommend looking over your collection or what's coming up and asking yourself are a lot of these must haves in your collection, or are they there or going to be there because you have/had the money and sort of like it.

100% agree! I have purged my collection many times over the years and keep coming back to Marie Kondo's guideline: only keep the things that spark joy in your life. We all accumulate things we may think we like over time, but a good pruning is always in order

Totally agree with both GaryPool and BACON! :clap

I have definitely gotten to the point myself where I ask if a certain item is something I *really* want or just think looks cool but will regret it later. So far I haven?t regretted selling any figures except for maybe my HT Ben Kenobi. I regret selling statues more than I do figures. I mostly prefer custom stuff like this Last Samurai figure.

100% agree! I have purged my collection many times over the years and keep coming back to Marie Kondo's guideline: only keep the things that spark joy in your life. We all accumulate things we may think we like over time, but a good pruning is always in order

It's a great way to live by, especially as a collector.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think this is from her book from what I've heard, which I go by naturally - put something away in a drawer; if you don't think about it or miss it you don't need it or appreciate it or use it. I don't put everything in drawers, but if it's boxed away or just sitting on a shelf without a look in odds are I won't really miss it that much if I let it go.

Great thing is that this hobby usually retains value near enough to what you bought something for. So a purging every now and then actually works in favour. I'm not so sure selling customs works out the same way, it is an undertaking that you really, really want it so will spend a lot on it and therefore will keep it. I can't imagine I'd ever get what I paid for the head sculpt back from anyone with this, but the fact I sold and saved a lot for it speaks volumes.

Usually as well when an updated version of the same character comes out quite a few people pass on the old version which sort of shows how replaceable a lot of things are in this hobby also.

I think a carefully curated collection is a lot better than a vast collection of 30 pieces - but then again everyone is different. Although I have to say some videos or pictures I see of peoples collection with like 5 Hot Toys on one shelf, all shelves the same, are shocking to me. I greatly feel like it takes away the presence of one piece when you surround it by everything else, but then again I suppose those people favour having huge collections over singular pieces that they'll look at intently every now and then. Doesn't help that there's a lot of cool designs and great characters out there mind, really need to boil down your absolute favourites to maintain a slimmed collection.

Yup, agree completely.
I also have some pieces that some people might think is too expensive, but I have no regrets.
My rule is, If its something I?ll regret if I didnt buy it, then I will get it.
If I cant answer that question, then that is a pass for me.

Quality over quantity.

Agreed with this. To me getting things that you have saved up to get is a lot more satisfying then buying multiple ones that would cost half or the same amount. I learned a long time ago to buy characters that hold significant and sentimental value. So if it's a character I like and have a place in my life, then I'm getting it. To me this is a better alternative then the mass production ones. My collection will never be big or a particular franchise it's a mix of everything. And to be honest the best collections are the ones of customs from various movies, rather then nothing but Hot toys Marvel or Star Wars.

Agree with the above sentiments regarding spending more to get a figure that you would regret if you missed out on. The Last Samurai is one of my all time favourite movies that has a very special place in my heart. I would be kicking myself knowing there was the best version of this figure out there that I had the chance to get and passed up because it was twice the price of a Hot Toys figure. Some things are worth the extra money if you know how special that thing will be to you. I have the Poptoys one and I love it, but this one looks superior, which is no small feat considering how amazing the Poptoys version is. I'll be buying another headsculpt to go on the Poptoys figure to represent Hirotaro, the samurai who Algren killed and later inherited the armour of, and he'll be wearing the kabuto and mempo so the Poptoys version will still be staying in my collection.

This figure along with Katsumoto will look awesome next to my Samurai Predator.
Look forward to re-watching this movie. I have a copy on Blu-Ray, been a while since i revisited it.
Still remember watching this in the theaters. That night, although this was just a normal movie, the theater i went to for some reason played in on the IMAX screen. The sound, the enlarged image, the awesome movie was a very memorable experience. Initially I wasn't even pumped up to see it brushing it off as a white savior movie, but the trailers convinced me and good thing it did.

This figure along with Katsumoto will look awesome next to my Samurai Predator.
Look forward to re-watching this movie. I have a copy on Blu-Ray, been a while since i revisited it.
Still remember watching this in the theaters. That night, although this was just a normal movie, the theater i went to for some reason played in on the IMAX screen. The sound, the enlarged image, the awesome movie was a very memorable experience. Initially I wasn't even pumped up to see it brushing it off as a white savior movie, but the trailers convinced me and good thing it did.
It wasn't even a white savior movie as he didn't save anything at the end. Lol I like how the movie is more about how a certain way of life was coming to an end and it's a part of history Nathan Algren had to experience. Plus his growth from just trying to drink himself to death to finally becoming a better person through his interactions with the samurai was important to the overall story.

It wasn't even a white savior movie as he didn't save anything at the end. Lol I like how the movie is more about how a certain way of life was coming to an end and it's a part of history Nathan Algren had to experience. Plus his growth from just trying to drink himself to death to finally becoming a better person through his interactions with the samurai was important to the overall story.

Yeah but you couldn't tell by looking at the posters. Back in the day, it still wasn't as popular nowadays to watch trailers online.
Before the 2000's you judge a movie by its poster, that 1-2 times you see the trailer at the theater, and those 15 seec commercials on tv
Anyways, went in with no expectations and came out the theater amazed. Apart from friends, i even told my mom to go see it with her friends which she did.

Yeah but you couldn't tell by looking at the posters. Back in the day, it still wasn't as popular nowadays to watch trailers online.
Before the 2000's you judge a movie by its poster, that 1-2 times you see the trailer at the theater, and those 15 seec commercials on tv
Anyways, went in with no expectations and came out the theater amazed. Apart from friends, i even told my mom to go see it with her friends which she did.
I remember those days. But usually if it looked cool then I would go in and see it. Thankfully I would get in with my dad and it definitely was a good movie though as a kid I didn't understand why the main character would lose and the movie end. But watching again as teen then now once more (on Netflix) as an adult you understand the story and what the purpose for the character was. Personally this figure alone for the quality is worth getting the other character I wish I could have gotten by Viper Studios is Musashi Miyamoto but that long sold out.

This figure is sick!!!!

last samurai haired 1.jpg
last samurai haired 2.jpg

Alternate suit bonus?
last samurai haired 3.jpg

This is a different version no? The one out for PO has sculpted hair.. or will there be 2 HS?

Those pics look great tho!

Yea sculpted hair version quoted as being $870.

This is the same figure just rooted hair version. This one will be limited and only PO through Raffle. Rooted will be $870, the sculpted Haired version costs $400 I think the price is fair for the rooted.

That alternate suit idea might be really cool if it's a second body with outfit that you can swap the sculpt on to. They said another sculpt will be included for the helmet to be used and so maybe this will work to create the scene where Nathan kills the samurai.

The rooted hair looks damn fine. I'm happy with the sculpted version already ordered. $400 for a single figure is already premium enough for my tastes.

Can't wait to have it in hands.

This is the same figure just rooted hair version. This one will be limited and only PO through Raffle. Rooted will be $870, the sculpted Haired version costs $400 I think the price is fair for the rooted.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wish I could see myself dropping that for the rooted but I just can't so will be sticking with the sculpted version. They both are looking great.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wish I could see myself dropping that for the rooted but I just can't so will be sticking with the sculpted version. They both are looking great.
Yeah once you start to get into customs it is a lot more then a Hot toys. This isn't to bad as full custom figures with rooted hair usually are around $1600 almost $2000. So at $870 it's pretty fair.

Back