James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: I saw AVATAR in 3D!

haha i heard it hit the 1.0 billion mark that titanic took months to get to.

haha i heard it hit the 1.0 billion mark that titanic took months to get to.

That might be becase going to movies is so $$$$ now and for a change tons of ppl are willing to pay $$$$$$ for IMAX 3D on top of all things. Can't believe I got to the theatre on hour earlier and still ended up only finding seats in the first few rows :(
Man if HT is going to make 1/6 scale *which they kinda have to" its gonna be huge!

Man you know it, I went to see avatar on saturday the theatre was packed and we had to sit in the front row. Still awesome tho since i didnt have my glasses with me. Its really popular with everyone now.

I may just have to watch it again without the wife and skip work to watch during the day but turns out from this week on it will only play IMAX 3D on weekends :( (at least in the cold north where I am :p)

the thing I like about this film is that it's made it feel important & exciting to go back to the cinema again. For ages now I've only really gone there for things that I've considered to be 'big' releases. (dark knight etc) but as time's gone on I've been missing more and more (haven't even seen up yet) as I figured with my big telly and sound system.... I might as well wait for blu-ray.

This film however has brough back that distinction between home and theatre. You *have* to go out to see this film at its best.

....and I kinda like that :)

Yeah where the hell is Lightwave? lol

I want some quick facts about this movie! I want to know how long it took to make the movie? How long was pre production, main filming, and post production.

Over a $billion in under 3 weeks!! :clap

It has made more than the Dark Knight did in its entire run in 17 days!!!

Will Def. secure 2nd all time and has an outside chance to creep up to Titanic....

I bet you even the biggest optimist would not have predicted how successful this movie was going to end up. Kudos James, hopefully this leads to more high quality sci-fi stuff in the near future ( ala Avatar, District 9 and Star Trek)

Interesting, the appeal that this movie has. Even my wife is jonesing to see it and she is the Lifetime movie Network-type.

I never, in a million years, would have guesed this movie to be that big.

And my money has not even been added to the pool...yet.

iT'S TRULY AMAZING THIS FILM CLEARED 1 BILLION DOLLARS in 17 days...17 days :google

Here's the stats from The-Numbers.com
1. 1997 Titanic $1,848,813,795 ... 283 days in box office
2. 2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,133,027,325 ... 166 days in box office
3. 2006 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,065,659,812 ... 150 days in box office
4. 2009 Avatar $1,022,311,074 ... 17 days in box office!!!!!!
5. 2008 The Dark Knight $1,000,245,358 ... 231 days in box office

I never thought i'd say this, after examining the facts by the time this film is out of the box office it will easily eclipse the Titantic as the highest grossing film (Worldwide) of All-time. This film has shown NO SIGNS of slowing down, when all other major blockbusters have major dips in their box office sales after the 1st week.

The most important factor in why this film will dethrone the Titantic:
1st Weekend MAJOR SNOW STORM
2nd Weekend Christman/Holidays
3rd Weekend New Years.

I can't wait to see the final numbers...it's actually laughable how successful this film is.

JAMES CAMERON IS KING OF THE (Cinematic) WORLD...and i bet it makes Spielberg sick.

I posted this in the ALIENS & ROBOTS section but this is where it belongs.

iT'S TRULY AMAZING THIS FILM CLEARED 1 BILLION DOLLARS in 17 days...17 days

2. 2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,133,027,325 ... 166 days in box office
3. 2006 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,065,659,812 ... 150 days in box office

I never thought i'd say this, after examining the facts by the time this film is out of the box office it will easily eclipse the Titantic as the highest grossing film (Worldwide) of All-time. This film has shown NO SIGNS of slowing down, when all other major blockbusters have major dips in their box office sales after the 1st week.

3rd Weekend New Years.

I can't wait to see the final numbers...it's actually laughable how successful this film is.

JAMES CAMERON IS KING OF THE (Cinematic) WORLD...and i bet it makes Spielberg sick.

iT'S TRULY AMAZING THIS FILM CLEARED 1 BILLION DOLLARS in 17 days...17 days :google

3rd Weekend New Years.

JAMES CAMERON IS KING OF THE (Cinematic) WORLD...and i bet it makes Spielberg sick

Thanks for stopping by, James.

:D

I went to see this movie again Saturday morning, thinking that going into it's 3rd weekend the lines wouldn't be as long. Wrong. 30 minutes before the film started it was hard to find a seat in the theater; by showtime it was sold out. All of the folks sitting around me were seeing it for the first time, so it looks like those who were waiting for the crowds to die down are now venturing out to see it.

I live in a big city (Dallas, TX). There are tons of theaters showing this on their screens. I really couldn't believe it was still selling out the first showing of the day. When I left the theater the 2nd showing already had a huge line.

Call me crazy, but I've now seen this 6 times and will likely see it at least once more. I've not gone back for multiple viewings of a movie since LoTR came out. This was a great movie experience for me.

Last edited:

My gosh, this film is setting a new precedent! I'm truly surprised by the international intake. I mean, I expected it to be popular with overseas moviegoers, but not this popular. That's where Avatar is bringing in the most cash.

I posted this in the ALIENS & ROBOTS section but this is where it belongs.

iT'S TRULY AMAZING THIS FILM CLEARED 1 BILLION DOLLARS in 17 days...17 days

QUOTE]

Unbelievable. Thats over 60 million bucks a DAY spent on this movie!

Pretty impressive that the popularity of this film seems to continue growing... Almost seemed like it might be a "flash in the pan" kind of film, but now looks like its got some legs.

I really wasn't overly optimistic about liking the movie... but seeing is believing and the movie kicks all kinds of ass :rock On one hand I would love to see more (like a sequel, or prequel) but on the other I'm completely satisfied with how this movie played out and ended.

Pretty impressive that the popularity of this film seems to continue growing... Almost seemed like it might be a "flash in the pan" kind of film, but now looks like its got some legs.

I really wasn't overly optimistic about liking the movie... but seeing is believing and the movie kicks all kinds of ass :rock On one hand I would love to see more (like a sequel, or prequel) but on the other I'm completely satisfied with how this movie played out and ended.

LOL...understatement of the decade. The way this think is going...it has already set the bar for 1 billion dollars intake high enough that it may be a long time before even THAT is reached.

And if it keeps going like it is for only a short time longer...it could have the entire movie-industry bar raised to what may be a height that takes 20-30 years to reach again.

Back