James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: AVATAR

I suppose your right.....I might as well go ahead and order the AMP right now I guess. This movie is going to be awesome I know...I know...
Ordered....see it doesnt take much for me to impuls buy...:mad:

Chris

Hey Atheris!! You ordered it? Are you shipping to Toronto? With the US dollar rising next year, customs and shipping, it will cost near to $2,000 canadian...:horror

Hey Chris, just so you know - the specs of the AMP statue have now been updated. It is 21" tall instead of 30" now.

As for the movie, I don't care as much if the effects aren't so good, as long as the story is good.

Hey Chris, just so you know - the specs of the AMP statue have now been updated. It is 21" tall instead of 30" now.

As for the movie, I don't care as much if the effects aren't so good, as long as the story is good.

You are so right... effects matter a lot, but story is ALL.

It's why I don't actually like 'Titanic', it looked good but read like a cheap Mills & Boone romance with over stereo-typed stereo-types. A Night to Remember is THE Titanic movie, but hype can sweep a lot of people along, and it appealed to such a huge swath of the populous of the planet.

From the evidence so far... which in truth isn't much to go on, I'd say the CGI does look a little 'cartooney' the lighting on the green-screen work looks pretty fake (but so did all of Lucas' so called state of the art work on the prequels). It must be hard for a director when they want to show us totally alien worlds, but you can not beat location work, it's why most of LOTR and District 9 look so good. I'll hold out that in context it'll just sweep us along visually, but I hope the story isn't too 'simple' or 'moralistic'.

I don't buy into hype. Most of the time, when something is extremely popular or hyped up, I end up disliking it. LOTR, Harry Potter, Slumdog, etc. People in my life hate me for that.

But I have a really good feeling about this film, and that feels nice.

i love the look of the na'vi , the creatures, and the environment . but i think the na'vi dont look like the aliens we are used to, they look more like some thing you would see in narnia.:lol

Re: OFFICIAL James Cameron's AVATAR MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

Saw the 15 mins not long ago, all I can say is OMG it looks awesome, after a while you forget the CGI and even the 3D was broken up into 3 scenes of around 5 mins each and you just find yourself getting sucked into the scene each time getting dissapointed when it ends and then getting sucked straight into the next one.

Went with a friend of mine who hadn't even heard of Avatar until yesterday and he thought it looked amazing too.

I really can't understand this really hostile negative reaction its getting. To condemn a movie off a 2 min trailer is ^^^^ing stupid.

Saw the 15 mins not long ago, all I can say is OMG it looks awesome, after a while you forget the CGI and even the 3D was broken up into 3 scenes of around 5 mins each and you just find yourself getting sucked into the scene each time getting dissapointed when it ends and then getting sucked straight into the next one.

Went with a friend of mine who hadn't even heard of Avatar until yesterday and he thought it looked amazing too.

I really can't understand this really hostile negative reaction its getting. To condemn a movie off a 2 min trailer is ^^^^ing stupid.

Cool man thanks for the reaction review, us brits dont get such awesomeness like a 15 min teaser :confused:

Yeah i am with you mate, how anybody can slag this is beyond me, it looks simply fantastic i can not wait until December 18th bring it on!!!

Anyway whats wrong with the CGI in this film? It looks stunning to me!!! Why is it a problem this film is largely made up of CGI? Can somebody please explain the problem behind this? I am just not getting it, and you can really sense there is this really amazing story going on even in that 2 minute trailer. Simple for me Cameron has never disappointed i very much doubt he will with Avatar!!!

Wait a minute. I thought Avatar was about some bald human kid that could control the wind or something like that. I saw a trailer where hes in a temple on an isolated island and a whole fleet of battleships are coming to get him. I thinks its called Avatar the last Airbender. It's based on an anime and IMO it looks incredibly stupid

Then I see this thread talking about mechs and alien creatures, you know, COOL stuff. Is this the same movie???

I'm in the theatre waiting to watch the preview!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!!! hopefully it kicks ass :rock

Bambi, you're a crazy girl. On the forums in a theatre. My net stays at home and well..... I use it at school. Even I need to take a break from it.

i love the look of the na'vi , the creatures, and the environment

Me too! I really hope Hot Toys will get the licence and give us the Sam Worthington Na'vi and the female Na'vi warrior! Maybe even make a Sam Worthington in wheelchair if he's interesting enough, they have a great sculpt of him for their Marcus figure already!

Wait a minute. I thought Avatar was about some bald human kid that could control the wind or something like that. I saw a trailer where hes in a temple on an isolated island and a whole fleet of battleships are coming to get him. I thinks its called Avatar the last Airbender. It's based on an anime and IMO it looks incredibly stupid

Then I see this thread talking about mechs and alien creatures, you know, COOL stuff. Is this the same movie???

You said it, Avatar: The Last Airbender. That's something different, based on a (very cool) cartoon. :D
This is just Avatar, James Cameron's first feature film since Titanic.

Love it! Seen the trailer at least 5 times. This is one of those movies that you either love or hate. I, so far, love the mixture of military and fantasy themed sci-fi. I'm really looking foward to it. I hope Hot Toys picks up the licence for this. I would like some 1:6 scale Na'vis.

Tom

Just saw the 16 minutes in IMAX. I am now a believer of the hype. I was a bit disappointed in the trailer but I feel it was really dumbed down compared to the footage I saw. I honestly believe it will easily be the biggest movie ever. Don't worry about the cg looking real or convincing. It does. . I'll post more later

I can't seem to stop watching the trailer. It's freaking amazing. I cannot wait for December!

Yeah in HD it looked good to me, I am curious about this flick. Although I can't help but get a H A L O vibe from some of the designs in the movie.

Well, HALO owes much of its aesthetic directly to James Cameron. He basically created the paradigm of what is considered a "Space Marine." Oh yeah, and Robert Heinlein.
Watch ALIENS (1986), the Drop Ships are VERY similar.:stormtrooper

I think that the main problem with this movie is the story. Why? Because is a story that many of us have saw many times in cinemas. Is like "Dance with wolves", "The Last samurai" or "The new world". I hate to know how will be the story, i wanted a fresh story not a story that i know perfectly. It kills the surprises:

dances_with_wolves.jpg

samurai_title.jpg

NewWorldPoster.jpg

Cameron i love all your movies, but with this one you have made a mistake.:banghead

Just came back from the 15 minutes thing. To that I say both 'hmmm' and 'wow'.

Truely the best CG I have ever seen, but it's still CG, and nothing is going to change that. Could you do this movie without it? No chance in hell, but I wouldn't have spent $300,000,000 to see this movie made.

I'm sure there is some Cameron goodness in the story to make it more than those previously mentioned classics, but it's not apparent yet outside of the 'hey look what we can do now' aspect.

Naked blue alien chick is a plus though, I must say. Lots of boob shots just in the brief clips. I'd totally do her if I were blue.

Yeah, I'd do her anyway.

Back