Jabba 12" Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my Jabba and I hate to say it but I'm a little underwhelmed. While it's large, it just doesn't feel worth $120 to me. The eyes aren't even painted the correct reddish color. They're just painted a solid gold color with little black lines for the pupil and solid black circles for his iris. Considering it's the only hand painted part of the figure, there's no excuse it shouldn't have a lot more detail. The 12" figures have eye paint apps that are 100X more impressive while 100X smaller in size.

The molded colors also are very dull and look nowhere as good as if it had some glossy paint on it. Jabba is supposed to look slimy and everything from the barely visible slobber to his skin itself just looks cheap and well...vinyl-ish.

For the cost I expected a bit more. While the sculpt itself is fantastic, the overall presentation just feels barely above something Hasbro could have done. The $50 12" Hasbro Tauntaun is more impressive than this.

Hopefully when my throne gets here on Thursday it will make up for my disappointment but as Jabba stands alone, I think he is not worth the hefty pricetag. If it weren't for the throne display I would surely be selling my first SSC Star Wars figure on ebay.

I know this has been discussed a bit, but no one has posed the question.

Does anyone else believe that there are 2 different paint job variants of Jabba out there?

I know different cameras, lighting, and flash can produce different effects, but I seriously believe there may be 2 different Jabba paint jobs.

Let me find some pics to show my point.

Shropt said:
I know this has been discussed a bit, but no one has posed the question.

Does anyone else believe that there are 2 different paint job variants of Jabba out there?

I know different cameras, lighting, and flash can produce different effects, but I seriously believe there may be 2 different Jabba paint jobs.

Let me find some pics to show my point.

With all figures, I always wonder about that. Did I get a good one? I think everyone does to some degree. Pictures would be great if you can find some in similar lighting conditions. Its possible some are painted darker (heavier) than others. With Bib, some people got one with a heavy pink wash they called a "sunburn". If there is a difference on Jabba, I doubt its a huge difference. I mean, its not like there's a perfectly accurate one out there and then others that are too light. Pretty much everyone has said the paint apps are a bit light on Jabba.

The first 2 pics I will call brown Jabba. He has a very brown face and red eyes.

2146_press01-001.jpg

jabba1.jpg

The last 2 pics are light Jabba. To me it seems like there is no brown on this Jabba. Also the eyes seem to be gold instead of red.

JabbawithCrumb5.jpg

So, is it just cameras? If these 3 Jabba sat beside each other, would they look exactly the same?

Poggle the Greater said:
Just got my Jabba and I hate to say it but I'm a little underwhelmed. While it's large, it just doesn't feel worth $120 to me. The eyes aren't even painted the correct reddish color. They're just painted a solid gold color with little black lines for the pupil and solid black circles for his iris. Considering it's the only hand painted part of the figure, there's no excuse it shouldn't have a lot more detail. The 12" figures have eye paint apps that are 100X more impressive while 100X smaller in size.

The molded colors also are very dull and look nowhere as good as if it had some glossy paint on it. Jabba is supposed to look slimy and everything from the barely visible slobber to his skin itself just looks cheap and well...vinyl-ish.

For the cost I expected a bit more. While the sculpt itself is fantastic, the overall presentation just feels barely above something Hasbro could have done. The $50 12" Hasbro Tauntaun is more impressive than this.

Huh, imagine that...

Shropt said:
The first 2 pics I will call brown Jabba. He has a very brown face and red eyes.

2146_press01-001.jpg

jabba1.jpg

The last 2 pics are light Jabba. To me it seems like there is no brown on this Jabba. Also the eyes seem to be gold instead of red.

JabbawithCrumb5.jpg

So, is it just cameras? If these 3 Jabba sat beside each other, would they look exactly the same?

Well, as the last photo is mine, I can vouch that there is no additional lighting in that picture. No warm light at all. In fact, that day it was very overcast and gloomy so the lighting is very flat, minimal and dull.

The picture above mine is a lot warmer. Maybe a flash was used; it looks like it. Or an overhead light source.

Wor-Gar said:
Well, as the last photo is mine, I can vouch that there is no additional lighting in that picture. No warm light at all. In fact, that day it was very overcast and gloomy so the lighting is very flat, minimal and dull.

The picture above mine is a lot warmer. Maybe a flash was used; it looks like it. Or an overhead light source.

Wor-gar,

I know that I chose a very washed out picture of your Jabba. So here is the question, does your Jabba look like the above pictures in person?

Shropt said:
Wor-gar,

I know that I chose a very washed out picture of your Jabba. So here is the question, does your Jabba look like the above pictures in person?

No, its more vibrant than that.

From my post back on page 69, here's a few pics of JABBA just to get an idea about various lighting contexts and how it effects the paint:

JabbawithCrumb5.jpg

JabbawithCrumb2.jpg

JabbawithCrumb3.jpg

JabbawithCrumb4.jpg

You can see that my pic 2 is closer to that "brown" one you posted above. All that was added there was a warm lamp off to the side. A stronger bulb overhead would probably be a perfect match.

I hope I get a good painted Jabba then if there are infact two versions. I ended up with a sunburnt Bib so I deserve a good Jabba.

I'm still waiting to see these 2 different versions...

Maybe someone with a "better" paint job can take a picture without flash or hot lights to see if it photographs more "dull" like my unfortunate kitchen picture.

When I get back to my office this week, I am going to take multiple pictures of Jabba with different lighting and flash configurations, and then post a comparison between them all.

Thanks Tom!

That's definitely what we need, just to see.

I'm still pretty sure its just lighting/flash that makes the difference but I must admit I'm a little curious.

jabba-vi.jpg

I'm very curious, that is why I started the discussion.

When I see the picture above, I see the Jabba that I payed for. This is what I want my Jabba to look like on my shelf. But when I look at some peoples pictures I find it hard to believe that their Jabba and this Jabba are the same paint job, even with bad lighting.

Shropt said:
jabba-vi.jpg

I'm very curious, that is why I started the discussion.

When I see the picture above, I see the Jabba that I payed for. This is what I want my Jabba to look like on my shelf. But when I look at some peoples pictures I find it hard to believe that their Jabba and this Jabba are the same paint job, even with bad lighting.

Jabba is awesome, folks! Mine looks just like the one above.

Of note (imho): the painted "drool" coming out of the corners of his mouth actually looks GREEN in person and not silver as seen in most of the pics so far. I was very happy to see that.

:chew :chew :chew :chew

Honestly, the one above looks a little brown to me.

This is the best Jabba I've seen as far as paint goes... somewhere in China...

tc4949JABBAinChina.jpg

His belly looks to have a much lighter "white" wash on it. And the "brown" seems to be more yellowy-orange which I think looks better. But again, who knows what lighting he has there. Florescent bulbs cast a green hue, coupled with a flash...who knows?

Wor-Gar said:
Honestly, the one above looks a little brown to me.

This is the best Jabba I've seen as far as paint goes... somewhere in China...

tc4949JABBAinChina.jpg

His belly looks to have a much lighter "white" wash on it. And the "brown" seems to be more yellowy-orange which I think looks better. But again, who knows what lighting he has there. Florescent bulbs cast a green hue, coupled with a flash...who knows?

That does look the best. Could it possibly be a repaint?

I still think a lot of how Jabba is going to look is due to the lighting. He seems to look the best in warm or low lighting.

Buttmunch said:
That does look the best. Could it possibly be a repaint?

It could very well be. Anything is possible in China. But he is posed on his styrofoam box which leads one to believe he was just taken out. He's also in a closet so its darker; note the harsh blacks of the shadows.

tc4949JABBAinChina.jpg

Darth Waller said:
I still think a lot of how Jabba is going to look is due to the lighting. He seems to look the best in warm or low lighting.

I agree... and I hope it is true that there is not some Jabba pieces that missed a darker "spray" wash that others might have. No way to tell without comparison shots in similar lighting.

Tom said he'd take some this week, which is good for me because judging by the pics my Jabba looks just like his.

Back