Its time for the next Joe!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^I got my Ninja Viper from Sideshow's site. And I've seen a ton of them available second hand. How exclusive are the SDCC exclusives really?

I guess what I meant was that Grunt would be a good choice because he's a less complicated figure with less gear. They haven't done a generic Joe trooper. No offense to Grunt fans, but he's as close to a Joe "trooper" as we might see.

^^^I got my Ninja Viper from Sideshow's site. And I've seen a ton of them available second hand. How exclusive are the SDCC exclusives really?

I guess what I meant was that Grunt would be a good choice because he's a less complicated figure with less gear. They haven't done a generic Joe trooper. No offense to Grunt fans, but he's as close to a Joe "trooper" as we might see.

But see? That's just it, Ninja Viper < Grunt which is why, the Ninja Viper was a perfect candidate for an exclusive. A good option for a Joe release would be something like a re-release of Duke or Dusty for Tiger Force, or the Cobra trooper with a redone Flint head as Flint in disguise (which would serve 2 purposes, allowing us more regular troopers for Cobra and updating Flint's head like Duke's to be on par with Rock 'n Roll's). Or a generic green shirt with multiple generic heads for background soldiers.

Last edited:
But see? That's just it, Ninja Viper < Grunt which is why, the Ninja Viper was a perfect candidate for an exclusive. A good option for a Joe release would be something like a re-release of the Cobra trooper with a redone Flint head as Flint in disguise. Or a generic green shirt with multiple generic heads for background soldiers.

I agree the ninja viper was a good choice for the exclusive. They could also so do a Python partrol

I think a Kwinn figure would be awesome, twice as much since they're doing a commando SE now, but it probably wouldn't be appealing to the masses who grew up on Joe cartoons, Ninja Forces, etc...

Exclusive in two ways:

1) Only available at the Con or through Sideshow's site (which is how you procured him).

2) Best case scenario, exclusive in terms of a low edition size...which I addressed in one of my previous posts where I questioned why the edition size isn't listed, even almost a year later.

Unless, I'm mistaken, the only two Joe figures that editions sizes aren't listed are the Cobra Ninja Viper and the Cobra Desert Sniper. Sideshow usually has a set number of Con Exclusives for pick up at SDCC and a few for those lucky enough to get an order in...usually the Con exclusives sell out. This may have been a case of Sideshow over-estimating the releases' popularity or having too large of an edition size.

Seeing a ton available second hand doesn't really factor in to. Just means that the character / release wasn't important enough for the hard core collectors to keep. Or if they were, I'd bet you'd still see some available second hand, only priced higher.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Grunt. I just don't see him as an SDCC exclusive...unless, as Nam suggested, it's "grunt" in the generic term and NOT Grunt, Robert Graves, who served on the Joe team before being discharged and attending Georgia Tech.

I agree the ninja viper was a good choice for the exclusive. They could also so do a Python partrol

I would go for a Python Patrol Cobra Viper.

Last edited:
But see? That's just it, Ninja Viper < Grunt which is why, the Ninja Viper was a perfect candidate for an exclusive. A good option for a Joe release would be something like a re-release of Duke or Dusty for Tiger Force, or the Cobra trooper with a redone Flint head as Flint in disguise (which would serve 2 purposes, allowing us more regular troopers for Cobra and updating Flint's head like Duke's to be on par with Rock 'n Roll's). Or a generic green shirt with multiple generic heads for background soldiers.

I get it. I'm not blind to the fact that the Ninja Viper is a troop builder and Grunt is a core character. I'm just asking, what difference does it make? The Ninja Viper was a great choice as an exclusive because the original figure was a mail away, but a core figure would certainly get a lot of hype and peak people's interest. I made the point that the Ninja Viper wasn't so exclusive that you couldn't get it if you didn't attend SDCC. So why can't they release a new character? It'll be available to everyone on the Sideshow site and the lucky folks who attend SDCC can pick up while they're there.

That's all guys. I'm new to posting here and I'm sure you all have talked about this plenty of times. I just want to see some new stuff because I don't troop build or buy multiples. I'm thinking about myself and my collecting habits, so don't think I don't understand.

Only available at the Con or through Sideshow's site (which is how you procured him).

Seeing a ton available second hand doesn't really factor in to. Just means that the character / release wasn't important enough for the hard core collectors to keep. Or if they were, I'd bet you'd still see some available second hand, only priced higher.

This is the last thing I'll say because I'm really not trying to make an argument out of this. Yes, I got the Ninja Viper on the Sideshow site. But you could make the "exclusivity" argument for every figure. They're available direct from Sideshow only until they're sold out. After that it's second hand or nothing. The prices steadily increase in the second hand market as time goes on, but for most serious collectors; whether they're fans that follow the line and buy the figs for themselves or guys buying them to flip; they know when the figures are available (and are given plenty of heads up form Sideshow) and they get them one way or another.

I just think that it's stupid to say that a core character can't be a SDCC exclusive because all the Sideshow toys are basically exclusives. Fans that attend SDCC are just lucky in that they get to pick up, in hand, a brand new character without the wait, whereas folks that don't go get to deal with shipping and all that.

But I know, I'm wrong so I'll just shut up. LOL!

Dude, no need to shut up. You offered your opinion, I'm offering mine. Not like I'm mad at you or anything.

Yes, the EX versions are available on Sideshow's site until they're sold out. But Sideshow also makes regular editions that can be had for cheaper at other on-line retailers of your local comic shop. The SDCC exclusives aren't available there.

I agree that it won't likely be a core figure. That said, who would you guys LIKE to see? I think it would be a safe bet to say that this year will be ninja free based on the shelf warming Ninja Viper. I'm hoping/wishing for an epic release; Destro's Reg and Exclusive appears on SS the same day an announcement for the SDCC Destro as a variant. No preorders either, Pay and Play. Come get some. While I'm at it, they all include free shipping at $69 out the door.:panic::pigfly::panic::yess::pray::pray:

Thi
But I know, I'm wrong so I'll just shut up. LOL!

I don't think you're wrong, but I don't think anyone else is wrong either. Your theory is sound and yes its shown to be accurate, but I think the people that say alot of people would get ticked at the SDCC exclusive being a major character are also right, because peoples knee jerk reaction is going to be rage. So see, sometimes everyoe can be right, even if they have differing opinions. :horror

If Sideshow were to make Grunt a SDCC Exclusive (which I would gladly welcome),they would make PLENTY to go around...so I highly doubt it would tick any fans off,besides,the Ninja Viper is still HANGING around available for anybody to buy...so nobody would get angry when its not really that exclusive

If the SDCC Excl was Scarface: with a vial of Dr. Venom's plague toxin (or whatever) in his boot and a "foul stench" scent on the figure. Major Bludd said he could tell Scarface was around by smelling him (GI Joe #19).

I think I'd still rather see a Python Patrol Cobra, maybe with 2 different heads and masks so you could make him an officer or trooper, and army build.

Then in 2013: Regular release of Flash and SDCC Excl Silver Pads Grand Slam. Avg collector wouldn't be upset, because we all know, "there's no love for Grand Slam."

Exclusive in two ways

If Exclusives don't sell on Sideshow's website, they'll offer them to retailers. I've seen this with both German Indy and the Stormtrooper Commander. I'm sure there've been more.

I get it. I'm not blind to the fact that the Ninja Viper is a troop builder and Grunt is a core character. I'm just asking, what difference does it make? The Ninja Viper was a great choice as an exclusive because the original figure was a mail away, but a core figure would certainly get a lot of hype and peak people's interest. I made the point that the Ninja Viper wasn't so exclusive that you couldn't get it if you didn't attend SDCC. So why can't they release a new character? It'll be available to everyone on the Sideshow site and the lucky folks who attend SDCC can pick up while they're there.

That's all guys. I'm new to posting here and I'm sure you all have talked about this plenty of times. I just want to see some new stuff because I don't troop build or buy multiples. I'm thinking about myself and my collecting habits, so don't think I don't understand.

:lol Nobody's chastising you. Problem with the internet is you can't hear the tone of the voice. Basically, Sideshow's stated in the past that the con exclusive is for variants like CCC and Viper.

If the SDCC Excl was Scarface: with a vial of Dr. Venom's plague toxin (or whatever) in his boot and a "foul stench" scent on the figure. Major Bludd said he could tell Scarface was around by smelling him (GI Joe #19).

I think I'd still rather see a Python Patrol Cobra, maybe with 2 different heads and masks so you could make him an officer or trooper, and army build.

Then in 2013: Regular release of Flash and SDCC Excl Silver Pads Grand Slam. Avg collector wouldn't be upset, because we all know, "there's no love for Grand Slam."

I would prefer they leave the "Stinkor" gimmicks to Mattel. I don't want a figure that's going to stink up everything else in the detolf he's sharing, let alone every other collectible in the room. :nono

Back