Its time for the next Joe!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess Beachhead, who also comes with a Beret, is too similar to Flint too? :cuckoo:

Best comparison is to look at Sideshow's Tigerstripe version of Wayne's Kirby. Night and day difference from Flint:

20966-03.jpg
Sideshow_Flint.jpg

Can't compare the two. Nam, you've been one of the most stalwart and vocal proponents of Sideshow's Joe figures being as close to the original RAH figure as possible. You and I both know that the original RAH Beachhead did not come with a unmasked portrait with a beret. And I'm pretty sure the majority of those getting SS's Beachhead will dispaly the ranger with his balaclava portrait.

Falcon was pretty clearly a knock off of Flint, IMO.

Falcon would be ok, but I'd rather see several more before him.

And I think he's a Flint knockoff as well :)

:exactly: Not just the beret, but the shotgun as well.

And No Joe again SUCKSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Can't compare the two. Nam, you've been one of the most stalwart and vocal proponents of Sideshow's Joe figures being as close to the original RAH figure as possible. You and I both know that the original RAH Beachhead did not come with a unmasked portrait with a beret. And I'm pretty sure the majority of those getting SS's Beachhead will dispaly the ranger with his balaclava portrait.

:exactly: Not just the beret, but the shotgun as well.

And No Joe again SUCKSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Don't say you can't compare the two, that comparison is accurate. I guess, to understand, you'd really have to know the difference between a Ranger (what I always considered Flint with his black beret) and a Green Beret. That alone is a dividing factor. Because both came with berets and a shotgun, doesn't mean anything. When you take into consideration that myself and Evilface will be swapping out Flint's Tigerstripe pants for something more accurate, the gap between the two grows.

I myself will be keeping Flint as is. Nothing about it IMO needs changing unless he comes painted pink or something. :lol One thing besides the fact its GI Joe, great art, and writing on the new comics is that they've kind of gone with a more real world approach to the GI Joe world. That makes this line tie into that and everything else I like about GI Joe.

I myself will be keeping Flint as is. Nothing about it IMO needs changing unless he comes painted pink or something. :lol One thing besides the fact its GI Joe, great art, and writing on the new comics is that they've kind of gone with a more real world approach to the GI Joe world. That makes this line tie into that and everything else I like about GI Joe.

The pink version is the Con exclusive in 2012, thats when we will se the next Joe :monkey1

I think Tiger Force variants would make for great SDCC exclusives. At least Duke and Flint. Beachhead not so much.

I don't think they would sell very well, sadly. Something a bit more dramatic like Night Force might work with some figures (like Beachhead). When doing a color variation, it is probably better to do something that really sets a figure apart from other variations to make a figure stand out a bit on the shelves. That is easy to do with troopers/ninjas, but tougher with guys like Duke or Flint. I would buy any Flint they released of course, and a few others would as well, but I can't imagine that selling as much as even red CC. Despite the lack of a vintage reference, if you can separate the design of the toy from the knowledge of the character, an all red figure wearing a cape and mask at least looks interesting and different.

Maybe but if done as a SDCC Ex thats why it would be perfect. You don't need a large ES for pieces like that.

Maybe but if done as a SDCC Ex thats why it would be perfect. You don't need a large ES for pieces like that.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Offbeat, less appealing Con Ex's are where it's at. While Tigerforce would work, I think Night Force would be a better seller with the more "realistic" color scheme.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Offbeat, less appealing Con Ex's are where it's at. While Tigerforce would work, I think Night Force would be a better seller with the more "realistic" color scheme.

Nightforce would be cool too. Tigerforce is something cool for me cause I had virtually all the regular figs of those as a kid. Ones that I didn't lose down a drain on the farm I used to live on sadly thats where all my early joes from the basically the start of the line ended up.

Nightforce would be cool too. Tigerforce is something cool for me cause I had virtually all the regular figs of those as a kid. Ones that I didn't lose down a drain on the farm I used to live on sadly thats where all my early joes from the basically the start of the line ended up.

I'd be there pulling off some Indiana Jones scale recovery digs if I were you bud. :lol

Don't say you can't compare the two, that comparison is accurate. I guess, to understand, you'd really have to know the difference between a Ranger (what I always considered Flint with his black beret) and a Green Beret. That alone is a dividing factor. Because both came with berets and a shotgun, doesn't mean anything. When you take into consideration that myself and Evilface will be swapping out Flint's Tigerstripe pants for something more accurate, the gap between the two grows.

There must be a misunderstanding on the basis for our comparisons.

You're exactly right 'Nam that there are many defining differences between a Ranger and a Green Beret, the biggest of which I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) are that Green Berets are tasked to go in the most hostile environments, “go native”, win the hearts and minds of the locals, and train them and turn them against whatever despotic / authoritarian regime that is subjugating them. So from a military specialty POV, Flint and Falcon are very different (although his file card says Flint attended Special Forces school, too).

However, take what I said at face value. To me Flint and Flacon are too similar, design-wise. Yes, they have different unis and different equipment, but to me, the defining characteric(s) of both Flint and Falcon are that they both wore berets and carried shotguns.

When I think back to all the old RAH figures, every figure I owned had a defining characteristic(s) that is the first thing that comes to mind. Snake Eyes: black outfit, Uzi, and sword; Beachhead: balaclava; Low Light: knit cap, sniper rifle, red goggles / glasses. When I think of both Flint and Falcon, I think of a beret and a shotgun.

I’d love a Falcon figure (the RAH figure came with some cool gear, from his awesome radio backpack to his survival knife…although I never understood why he came with a shotgun. A weapon with longer range would have been better suited for him), but I’d like to see some diversity in design first.

Special Forces aka Green Berets, are on a completely different level than Rangers, and not to take anything away from Rangers, but most consider Ranger School a stepping stone to Special Forces. Usually Airborne, then Ranger School, then Special Forces which requires considerably more schooling and training on top of what's learned in the previous two.

And I guess, therein lies the difference. I didn't take my Joes at merely face value. :huh

Special Forces aka Green Berets, are on a completely different level than Rangers, and not to take anything away from Rangers, but most consider Ranger School a stepping stone to Special Forces. Usually Airborne, then Ranger School, then Special Forces which requires considerably more schooling and training on top of what's learned in the previous two.

And I guess, therein lies the difference. I didn't take my Joes at merely face value. :huh

Well, as a 10 year old kid, I did. :wave

I'd be there pulling off some Indiana Jones scale recovery digs if I were you bud. :lol

I would but I don't think the folks who own that farm now would like it. :lol
---------------------------------------
GI Joes are bad ass whatever part of the armed forces they're supposed to be from. Just make them look cool as hell and I'm good.

Back