Is this ebay member a Sideshow Freaks board member?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This subject should have died on ebay instead of being ported over to SSF. Sometimes negotiations can be contentious but in the end if both parties are honest and have integrity, you shake hands with a mutual agreement and walk away. It was a lowball offer and although I wouldn't have responded in quite the same way, I would have declined or ignored. This could have been handled in a more gentlemanly manner.

So I think we have learned:

1)If you have concerns on a piece email the seller instead of making a poopy offer.

2)If you make a poopy offer you may get a poopy response.

3)If you make a poopy response you may offend a legitimate buyer.

4)It all should stay between the two of you.....

Love ya guys!!!!!!:rotfl

ps. Did you ever get that Son of Frankenstein you were looking for Monster?

Last edited:
"All I did was send him an annoying and insulting offer and he had the nerve to tell me I was an incredible annoyance and insulting!!"

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

The price for this item has been lowered from $3,200.00 or best offer to $2,500.00. You could buy a good used car for that kind of money, or if you really wanted it---he just lowered it $700.00.:peace

The price for this item has been lowered from $3,200.00 or best offer to $2,500.00. You could buy a good used car for that kind of money, or if you really wanted it---he just lowered it $700.00.:peace

Now, $700.00 I would maybe deal with. The seller has listed the bust for $3,200.00 two or three times with no sale. That is the reason that I thought the seller would maybe take Sideshow price. Fakes have clearly hurt the 2nd market value of these busts.

Nick

So I think we have learned:

1)If you have concerns on a piece email the seller instead of making a poopy offer.

2)If you make a poopy offer you may get a poopy response.

3)If you make a poopy response you may offend a legitimate buyer.

4)It all should stay between the two of you.....

Love ya guys!!!!!!:rotfl

ps. Did you ever get that Son of Frankenstein you were looking for Monster?

Why? Do you have that Son of Frankenstein!!!!!!!!!! :panic::google:monkey5 Or know where one is!!!!!!!!!!!!:panic::google:monkey5 It is my all time favorite Sideshow CollectIble! :D I would LOVE to get ahold of two of them for sure! :D One to keep MIB and one to take out of the box and display in a case! :D

The Monster,
Nick

By the price being hurt I assume you aren't counting the last 2 that sold for 2500 and 2600. :D Nah Nick you were looking for a SSE Son when I left here a few years ago....was just hoping you had found one. :(

Yeah... looks like those counterfeits are really killing the market..

Witness the drop in price over the last year

ArdethBey.jpg

Yeah... looks like those counterfeits are really killing the market..

Witness the drop in price over the last year

ArdethBey.jpg

You'll note: the ones in China and S. Korea received lower bids. Say what you like---the price will drop as more people become educated, and unfortunately, burned by buying a dupe. Just because people do stupid things once doesnt mean they will keep repeating the process. I have watched this happen to dozens of collectibles over the years. Most notably in the arena of autographs.

But a fake is a fake. I feel bad for the people who dont do their homework and get screwed. For God's sake---there's only supposed to be 100 legitimate editions. You just showed the whole world a chart that has 10% of the production run changing hands in a 6 month period. Thats not normal, unless there's a whole lot of fakes---or a whole lot of people selling theirs off for the exact same reason I did. Because SSC has no way of stopping this. It will affect the prices....it may take time...but it will. Despite the power point presentation.:peace

All you posted was conjecture... the prices are the reality. It was stated that the counterfeits "HAD" hurt the pricing. Clearly they haven't. I am in agreement that counterfeits do hurt the market, but it hasn't proven out on this particular item. Yet.

Why? Do you have that Son of Frankenstein!!!!!!!!!! :panic::google:monkey5 Or know where one is!!!!!!!!!!!!:panic::google:monkey5 It is my all time favorite Sideshow CollectIble! :D I would LOVE to get ahold of two of them for sure! :D One to keep MIB and one to take out of the box and display in a case! :D

The Monster,
Nick

Unless you are going to get an Ardeth Bey from someone who could produce the invoice from Sideshow, and you can verify it against membership registry here---I would say to keep your money.

People dont get it: You can buy a cheap knock off Rolex for $50. You'll fool a lot of idiots. But when someone informed spots your fake---its just a nicely done fake. Its called fraud. they bust folks selling fake Gucci items, etc. all the time. The stuffs fake....on casual inspection it looks real enough. but upon closer examination: CRAPTASTIC CRAP FEST.

Now---If you want a real Gucci item: go to an authorized gucci vendor/store/shop. If you wanna make sure you are gonna get a real Ardeth bey: do your homework first. But even though the price may go down further: I wouldnt expect to get even a nice fake for $500. They arent going to sell them that cheaply: it defeats the purpose of putting a fake out there. That would be announcing you have $50 Rolex watches. Only a sucker would buy it. I dont know why the FBI hasnt investigated bogus high end collectibles yet. Some of those things are being released at $1,000+ nowadays. :lecture

All you posted was conjecture... the prices are the reality. It was stated that the counterfeits "HAD" hurt the pricing. Clearly they haven't. I am in agreement that counterfeits do hurt the market, but it hasn't proven out on this particular item. Yet.

You pulled 6 months out----not the life time of the item. Using your chart I could pull out the same month 4 years ago when I sold mine for $2,700 vs. $1,647.00. Same month---different year. Difference of over $1,000.00 That 's a price drop. Once more people become more educated....it has nowhere to go but down. Conjecture or common snese. if you have only 100 of an item, and 10% of the supposed run is offered in one 6 month period...how long before folks wake up and cry foul?

If the fakes hadn't been coming out of the woodworks like they have been, this might've turned into a $3,500.00 item by now. Bottom line: When I sold mine some years ago, I think i got 2,700.00...and it lasted on ebay about 1 day....not a 30 day good till ended listing--like this one presently being offered at $2,500. It may not make the price go down to 50 cents.....but it will affect it over time. Just like re-casting resin garage kits nearly destroyed that particular hobby---the same will apply here eventually.:peace

As for the prices being the "reality"...that's great and all except for a very valid point I am going to make. Just because people manipulate prices on ebay doesnt mean any cash actually traded hands. That crap's been going on over there for a long time too. I cannot tell you how many times I have made second chance offers to people because my "winning bidder" didnt pay for the item....whatever the reason. If you wanna argue to-mae-to vs. toh mah toe thats great....but evidently the seller is having a little trouble moving this item vs. when I sold mine.

But I am sure thats all conjecture too. I am sure the multitude of fakes out there wont affect the ability to sell a real one at all......except not really. I am pretty sure it has and will.

Last edited:
You still can't factually account for a price drop by crying 'counterfeit'. The market goes up and down on many collectibles that are not being counterfeited. It recently sold for more than you sold yours for... does that mean counterfeits are causing the price to go up? I could make that argument using the same logic you are using, meaning there isn't any. It's just conjecture with no proof.

The only PROOF there is are the recent sale prices, which is exactly what I provided.

We get it.. you hate counterfeiters. WE ALL DO.

You pulled 6 months out----not the life time of the item. Using your chart I could pull out the same month 4 years ago when I sold mine for $2,700 vs. $1,647.00. Same month---different year. Difference of over $1,000.00 That 's a price drop. Once more people become more educated....it has nowhere to go but down. Conjecture or common snese. if you have only 100 of an item, and 10% of the supposed run is offered in one 6 month period...how long before folks wake up and cry foul?

If the fakes hadn't been coming out of the woodworks like they have been, this might've turned into a $3,500.00 item by now. Bottom line: When I sold mine some years ago, I think i got 2,700.00...and it lasted on ebay about 1 day. This one presently being offered at $2,500.oo has been on there off an on a couple of times by Nick's count. It may not make the price go down to 50 cents.....but it will affect it over time. Just like re-casting resin garage kits nearly destroyed that particular hobby---the same will apply here eventually.:peace

The price might go down a little, but i doubt the average will drop by a $1000 like you have predicted. People just need to do their research and make sure they are bidding on the real thing. The real ones should retain their value. I have collected many other toys where people in china would rampantly make knockoffs of and it didnt really hurt the value of the originals that much. In fact, usually, the knockoffs would get shut down and the value of the real ones would just go up again. I would suggest not bidding on the particular item at hand but offering $550 when the buyitnow is $2500 is a bit ridiculous. Of course, I think $2000 is a plenty fair offer. Still, the response but the seller was also fairly unprofessional and would make me never want to bid on his items ever again.

The price might go down a little, but i doubt the average will drop by a $1000 like you have predicted. People just need to do their research and make sure they are bidding on the real thing. The real ones should retain their value. I have collected many other toys where people in china would rampantly make knockoffs of and it didnt really hurt the value of the originals that much. In fact, usually, the knockoffs would get shut down and the value of the real ones would just go up again. I would suggest not bidding on the particular item at hand but offering $550 when the buyitnow is $2500 is a bit ridiculous. Of course, I think $2000 is a plenty fair offer. Still, the response but the seller was also fairly unprofessional and would make me never want to bid on his items ever again.

See---here's whats funny. I like Nickie, and I wish he could get one of the originals at a good price. But, if I was the seller, and had such a mammoth item....I probably would've gotten peeved too. I have had people offer me some ridiculously low balled prices on things....just to be rude and to play on the perceived sense of desparation the media makes the entirety of the world out to be in.

The seller may have actually had some other emails asking similar questions: so Nickie just got the brunt of it. Sadly---I have told people off before over their cheapskatedness......and then blocked them from viewing or bidding on anything I ever sell.

One item in particular was a Ghost Rider collectible. I had it priced at half of what the lowest seller on ebay had theirs at....but actually had offers to "take it off my hands" at an even cheaper rate. Worlds fulla kooks on both ends,lol.:lecture:wink1:

I am not playing Criswell on the $1,000 price drop. I pointed out there was a $1,000 drop from the one I sold vs. the one that sold for $1,675.00 which was in China or Korea(where most of the re-casting gets done). But if the re-casting doesnt stop, and no one cares...it will affect the demand...because folks wont want to risk laying out major dough on an item that might be bogus.

I love Mike Hill's stuff. I have been collecting this stuff for 25 years. I would love to say that fakes wont hurt the hobby. But I would be kidding myself, having seen it happen way to much in other areas of collecting.....I couldve held onto the busts had I wanted to. But having any major amount of money in something that could lose some of its heat and turn into an albatross scared the crap out of me. The busts wouldve been fine here with the rest of my stuff...but the fakes (as I said) scared me off.

Last edited:
Back