Is every year like this ??!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ve had an interest in toys all my life.Trust me,theres never been a year like this one.I think it s several factors combining.Two great blockbuster movies that lend themselves perfectly to high-end toys(Iron Man and The Dark Knight)technology and Hot Toys uncanny knack for knowing exactly what their public want.A golden year indeed.

i've been collecting for a year now aswell, i started with palisades and GG. ounce i jumped on Sideshow i have not stoped, now i'm moving into the Hottoys Figures. It don't stop, I have the bug and it has a hold of my cash flow.

I've just got into 1/6 collecting last December and i can't believe the thousands of £££'s i've spent since...It's been a mad year what with the TDK stuff in particular blowing a hole in my wallet....i'm actually scared about what we can expect again next year...Somebody hold me!!!!

I think it could of been worse for me on my end but I've held back on the TDK and Batman stuff I've almost cancelled all my pre-orders for that. I'm gonna stick to Marvel, Star Wars, Predator, GI JOE and maybe the Terminator... I just don't see me collecting long term on the Batman figs... been collecting GIJOE's and Transformers forever, just started Sideshow at the beginning of the summer with PF and 1/6 figs!

Every year feels like that, I promise you. The thing is, you just have to pick and choose your lines more carefully and chase down figures later... It's hard to get everything you want all the time. :lol

My long term addiction has been Star Wars 3 3/4" - since 1995. I've managed to cut out prequel stuff this year in light of the vast sums of money I'm spending on Hot toys. Luckily its been a slow year for Original trilogy stuff - only one basic figure wave and the next one won't be till sometime in 2009 - I spent 199euros on the new Millenium Falcon last week and the rest of it is going to be the odd ultimate Battlepack such as the Lars Homestead and the sarlacc.

However Hot toys is destroying my wallet this year. This is because, in addition to Aliens/predator/terminator/robocop, I've expanded into the superhero genre with TDK, Superman returns and Iron Man. As recently as late 2007 I wouldn't have considered buying superhero figures. I think my decisions to expand my toy-buying horizons tend to happen around dull patches where I haven't got anything new in a few weeks - I seem to be addicted to 'getting new stuff' one way or another.

So yes its been some year - however this is only if, like me, you lack the discipline to stay inside the lines you've had longest investment in and/or have completist tendencies.

Every year feels like that, I promise you. The thing is, you just have to pick and choose your lines more carefully and chase down figures later... It's hard to get everything you want all the time. :lol

:monkey2:monkey2 I'm so screwed. :monkey2
When I decide to get out of a line I do it but to make up add two different ones. :monkey4:rotfl
I will learn the error of my ways !. :horror:D:rotfl

I think it could of been worse for me on my end but I've held back on the TDK and Batman stuff I've almost cancelled all my pre-orders for that. I'm gonna stick to Marvel, Star Wars, Predator, GI JOE and maybe the Terminator... I just don't see me collecting long term on the Batman figs... been collecting GIJOE's and Transformers forever, just started Sideshow at the beginning of the summer with PF and 1/6 figs!

Respect to you bro :eek: I think after the TDK and Ironman stuff arrive, it'll be a matter of picking and choosing carefully...mainly the fact i'm running outta room, plus its getting harder to justify these purchases with my girlfriend...especially when she wants to go away next month for a few days together and i want to pre-order Ironman mkII!:rotfl

can't believe you have only been collecting for a year:duh

spent about the same as last year but i dont seem to have as much money left as i did then :huh i blame the credit crunch eg higher food prices and general living costs

I've only been collecting movie art for ten months, I had been actively collecting Gothic art until I came across Sideshow & that's when my addiction started.

The money doesn't bother me cause I look at it like this, I could get run over by a bus tomorrow and I can't take it with me(I can't take the figures either right enough) What bothers me is space, the busts get bigger, the PF's get bigger but the space gets smaller, it's not fair.

Respect to you bro :eek: I think after the TDK and Ironman stuff arrive, it'll be a matter of picking and choosing carefully...mainly the fact i'm running outta room, plus its getting harder to justify these purchases with my girlfriend...especially when she wants to go away next month for a few days together and i want to pre-order Ironman mkII!:rotfl

I know what u mean I have a wedding coming up or not til next year in Oct of 2009 and my fiance is planning everything right now ahead of schedule, plus we have other trips around the states to go to with other weddings/family events... also not to mention saving for the honeymoon, etc.... It's gettn rough around these parts to squeeze in collectibles but I'm gonna try my best, oh and hiding them from the Mrs!!!!

I'm constantly throwing away old junk (old microwaves, old tv's, boom box radios) from the attic that i don't need into order to make room for the big brown SS shipper boxes! :eek:

Money wise ive been OK, its finding space for the ruddy boxes which is the pain. Fixing up one side of the loft just to store boxes in, insane.

Money wise ive been OK, its finding space for the ruddy boxes which is the pain. Fixing up one side of the loft just to store boxes in, insane.

I have the same problem, one side wall of my loft is filled, it's like a no win with this because it's double storage, first a display for the statues and then what to do with those boxes... :confused:

I know what u mean I have a wedding coming up or not til next year in Oct of 2009 and my fiance is planning everything right now ahead of schedule, plus we have other trips around the states to go to with other weddings/family events... also not to mention saving for the honeymoon, etc.... It's gettn rough around these parts to squeeze in collectibles but I'm gonna try my best, oh and hiding them from the Mrs!!!!

I'm constantly throwing away old junk (old microwaves, old tv's, boom box radios) from the attic that i don't need into order to make room for the big brown SS shipper boxes! :eek:

Skiman, off topic. The wife and I spent a week in St Louis over the summer and loved it! Great city / state.

I've been collecting for almost a year and I noticed my wants have grown considerably since I started. Dang these new sculpts :emperor

The wife and I have a monthly allowance of "mad money" which can be spent on whatever. I chose to spend mine on collectibles, movies etc. If I don't spend my mad money in a given month it carries over to the next month etc....pre-orders and slow months allow me to build a nice nest egg of play money.

The wife has hers and I have mine and we both are all happy :naughty

Skiman, off topic. The wife and I spent a week in St Louis over the summer and loved it! Great city / state.

I've been collecting for almost a year and I noticed my wants have grown considerably since I started. Dang these new sculpts :emperor

The wife and I have a monthly allowance of "mad money" which can be spent on whatever. I chose to spend mine on collectibles, movies etc. If I don't spend my mad money in a given month it carries over to the next month etc....pre-orders and slow months allow me to build a nice nest egg of play money.

The wife has hers and I have mine and we both are all happy :naughty

Thats exactly what were talkn about as well! Good to hear that others are planning or have done it this way as well!

I'm really glad to hear that! :D

Is every year like this ??!!

Nope, each year it gets worse.
RunIntoWall.gif

Thats exactly what were talkn about as well! Good to hear that others are planning or have done it this way as well!

I'm really glad to hear that! :D

There is an old saying goes something like this "Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

Give her a little pot of spending dough, she'll be happy to let you buy whatever :banana

The first year can either be a warm up year or a catch up year. Sounds like you had a catch up year.

I've been collecting things since I was 5 years old. The older I get, the more expensive my toys get.

Back