Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

They are toys. But they are as meaningful or meaningless as being a football fan, collecting vintage cars, racing dirt bikes, or any other hobby. All of these hobbies are filled with toys. And the older you get the more money you have to spend. It is just as reasonable or unreasonable to spend $20,000 on an action figure collection as to spend the same on fixing up an old car.

We are to blame. Look at every product thread here. People nitpick items to death about accuracty issues they think they know.

The best of anything costs money.

You want it. It's going to cost you.

Those $50 Sideshow figures people used to bash the hell out of and compare to items 3 times their cost are looking like bagains today.
--

That sums it up concisely, effectively, & pointedly.

:exactly:

Love the product and agree that the prices are getting out of hand, but the biggest thing I hate is the aftermarket. Some of the asking prices are just ridiculous.

--

That sums it up concisely, effectively, & pointedly.

:exactly:

I completely disagree. To me collectibles are ALL about the extreme details and craftsmanship, i rather pay $300 for a well made statue than $50 for some hasbro-like crap. Of course the craftsmanship has to justify the price, which in a lot of cases do not (ie: a lot of sideshow PF junk).

Hot toys i really never had a problem with their work, for around $200-250 you get a LOT and the details are outstanding.

But i do agree somewhat with the OP because HT just keeps making the SAME thing over and over. Seriously guys how many versions of ironman and predator can you make? Why not be a bit more creative and make some other figures...

That said, i am still buying all HT ironman and batman items :( predator I have stopped, the classic will be my last purchase unless something really extraordinary comes out.

I agree, at the end of the day they are toys, action figures, dolls, etc. Hell, they are even called Hot Toys. lol

Are they made for kids? No. Are they of super high quality? Yes. Does the fact you can't buy them at Target and not give them to your 6 year old mean they aren't toys? No. It means they are just toys for you.

:lecture It can be said louder but not clearer.

Seriously guys how many versions of ironman and predator can you make? Why not be a bit more creative and make some other figures...

Yeah, I guess Sucker Punch, Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spider-Man, Thor, Sweeney Todd, Iglorious Basterds, Sleepy Hollow, Cap. America, etc etc is not enough variety. :slap:peace

The prices of the new 89 Joker/Batman figures have alot of colletors going WTF and reevaluating their priorities. I have little interst in them to begin with, but was stunned when I saw the prices. Was a lol moment for me, but it made me think a bit and canceled a few PO myself.
If you don't think the value is there don't buy them.
If you think they are over priced and buy them any way don't complain when the next release is even more expensive.

your still ultimately paying more because our currency is turning into worthless toilet paper...ask China,they will tell you! and so will Greenspan, as he says they will just print more money (out of thin air).They are destroying the buying power of our US currency and its a fact unfortunately
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6vi528gseA"]Alan Greenspan: WE CAN ALWAYS PRINT MORE MONEY - YouTube[/ame]

Very true!:exactly:

I don't buy them as an investment! They're not!

When you see some Sideshow toys from a few years back that people thought would go up in price. Well check Ebay! Some MIB are cheaper than when they were released.:gah:

So yes, they are toys AND collectibles, and like you, I like them because I liked the series/ movie in the first place.

I POed Bat and the Joker from OSB today because I loved the movie, but still, I'm having a hard time coping with the unreasonable prices...:monkey2

On the bright side, now that they're doing Supes, Bat 89, Indy and most of the previous licences, I think they've pretty much covered my favorite movies so unless we get Conan, I may buy much less from them in the near future... :)

Yes they are toys, but they are also collectibles. Technically anything can be a collectible. As long as their is a demand and people like to collect things. A collectible can be anything really. Its nothing about hurting adult feelings. A Collectible doesn't have to be worth hundreds of dollars to be a collectible. I collect theres figures because I like them, I could care less what they are worth. I like the way they look, I like the quality, and I like that they pay homage to my favorite movies. Therefore I collect them. If they are worth $1 or $1000, I dont care. I wouldn't sell them no matter what. I just collect them :)

Posted this in the Batman '89 thread...

Hot toys Batman and Joker are featured on AICN, here is a couple of Comments from the page...

"How does a toy company charging 240-260 per doll survive in this economy, I realize these are pieces of art, but I cannot imagine the market for these is sustainable in these bad times."

"Holy Crap! Why would anyone waste that kind of money on a doll?"

"Damn those Batman toys are amazing. A couple of years ago when I was still a teenager I went through a pretty serious phase of sculpting and painting my own miniatures, so when I see something like those Batman toys, it literally ____ing ASTOUNDS me that human hands could craft anything so detailed. Those things are photo-realistic. Really amazing. I could never justify the price on my budget, but hey...

I like this column, by the way. There will always be a segment of people who shout "lol dolls, ______!"(ironic on a geek community site, but I digress), but of all the things in my home, there is one thing that gets more comments and praise than anything else--from adults, chicks, kids, everyone--and its my 18" Leatherface statue. People just love it, and its a great conversation piece, as I think a lot of this stuff in the column would be."

"Hot ____ing you in the ass Toys. Between these asshats and Sideshow, you are going to need a mortgage loan to afford their ____. Anything over $150 for a statue or a figure is ____ing stupid."

"$240 hurts, But damn if those figures don't encapsulate everything I love about Batman '89."

Now, this is where I disagree with you...

Sure, EVERYTHING goes up in price, and I have nothing against HT increasing their prices. That's the law of the market.

However, I've always felt HT, Enterbay or Medicom were overpriced from the start.

If I remember correctly, my first HT fig was one of the Aliens marines. Sure, the outfit/accessories were much better at the time than Sideshow's. But the heads were much crappier! And at the time, I think it cost me something like $150 from SCC. As for Medicom, well let's not talk quality! They should rather be named Crappycom!

So I've always felt that those companies tried to see whether we were morons, found out we were, and have been trying their luck everytime since then.

I think they're walking a thin line and that they may one day lose their fanbase because of that.

There's no way, in any economy, that toys, manufactured in great quantity, is worth the price they're selling.

I think a fair price range would be the $ 100/130 mark, tops. Higher than than, it grand theft!

Ya and the cost is what it is...EVERYTHING goes up in price. EVERYTHING from groceries, clothes, gas, to traveling, everything is much more expansive than it was even just 2-3 years ago...The days of $140-$150 figures is probably coming to an end, especially for the really popular movies such as Batman and Superman. No doubt licensing fees have gone way up, materials, production, design, everything has gone up.

Until I have a solid understanding of where the costs are incurred by HT I'm not one to say they're 'overpriced'. T2 Arnie was $150 18 months or so ago and if released now would likely be around $200. But what else has gone up since then? The cost of oil for one. Follow-on effect from high oil prices runs to petroleum runs to transport and plastics, runs to production... there must be all sorts of inflationary pressures on the cost of these things. I don't understand all of this enough to start complaining about some Hot Toys rip-off strategy.

The other thing to consider is that these figures are getting better and better. It's not as though we're being asked to pay more for the same quality. Just about every release is an improvement on what was being done even 6 months ago.

As for the Toys Vs Collectibles chat that always seems to come up when people talk about pricing, until I start taking these things out from behind a sheet of glass and giving them to my kids to play with - they are most definitely not toys and most definitely are collectibles. Nobody confuses or compares a train set lovingly assembled by a hobbyist with the Thomas the Tank Engine sets sold at Target. Nomenclature has nothing to do with ego or whatever - it's the nature of the care, purpose and engagement associated with these items that determines their status IMO.

I dunno I think people are overreacting to the prices of 2 1989 Batman DX toys, I mean you can still preorder Green Goblin and Captain America for like 170 with shipping if you shop around. Sweeney Todd is like 200 w shipping but he comes with a chair. The only figure I don't get the price for is Iron Man Mark V he is 200 w shipping from like everywhere, what makes him more special than Captain America or Thor which were both in the 170 range?

I dunno I think people are overreacting to the prices of 2 1989 Batman DX toys, I mean you can still preorder Green Goblin and Captain America for like 170 with shipping if you shop around. Sweeney Todd is like 200 w shipping but he comes with a chair. The only figure I don't get the price for is Iron Man Mark V he is 200 w shipping from like everywhere, what makes him more special than Captain America or Thor which were both in the 170 range?

The dozens and dozens of molds needed to put together an IM figure makes it more special :lecture Oh, and IM is infinitely more badass than the others you mentioned :lol

The dozens and dozens of molds needed to put together an IM figure makes it more special :lecture Oh, and IM is infinitely more badass than the others you mentioned :lol

this is very true I just remember mark III and IV being slightly more in the 170 range, in any event I'll be passing on the Mark V and just wait it out til the Avengers Mark VII comes out

All the whiners on this thread are so entertaining :lol

They're not toys in the sense that if you try to play with them, they will break. They're not designed to endure the normal wear and tear that toys go through. No one should be buying these things under the assumption that they could survive a 7 year old

YOu'd be surprised how solid most hot toys figures really are. check out P!tu's predator dutch video.

Back