Is a Besta with glass doors on carpet safe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destroyous

Super Freak
Reaction score
I want to move my Besta double wide to a room that has carpet it has all 6 glass doors and the legs at the bottom. Since it won't be on a hard floor I'm afraid it will be wobbly and tip over in case of an earthquake. Will all the wieght of all the statues inside keep it sturdy? Cause the glass doors make the front heavy and if it starts shaking I think the glass doors will all come open at once and cause it to fall forward. If I have 2 statues on each shelf will that be enough wieght? I know there's the option of bolting it to the wall. Anything else?

I want to move my Besta double wide to a room that has carpet it has all 6 glass doors and the legs at the bottom. Since it won't be on a hard floor I'm afraid it will be wobbly and tip over in case of an earthquake. Will all the wieght of all the statues inside keep it sturdy? Cause the glass doors make the front heavy and if it starts shaking I think the glass doors will all come open at once and cause it to fall forward. If I have 2 statues on each shelf will that be enough wieght? I know there's the option of bolting it to the wall. Anything else?

Can you tether the unit to the wall in the back? Also, did you customize the glass doors or do they sell glass doors for Bestas? I'm looking to replace my Detolf with a double wide Besta because I'm getting into bigger (1/4) figures and need more space but wasn't sure about how to enclose the display space to keep as much dust out as possible.

Bestas are great but designed to make you spend more money. The doors that fit them are 6 separate squares rather than 2 big long ones or one big long one like the detolf. A double wide with all 6 doors and the legs is over $550. It's madness. But looks the best as far as I know. So it gives off the look as if there's 6 equal sized compartments. If you wanted to have a statue thats taller than 23 1/2 in it the frames off the glass doors would be in your view. It's really a crock of crap but other than custom made shelves the best I know of. . . As long as its on tile or hardwood floor. Otherwise there's my dilemma

I really wish they had the detolfs as tall as the Besta's cause they'd be way heavier with all the glass. All the glass weight at the front of a Besta appears to be problematic on carpet.

Do they make legs for Bestas? If you could find legs for the bestas so they didn't sit flat on carpet it would add a lot of balance to the display.

Ikea sells a ton of different legs that you can screw into the bottom where the little legs that come with it screw in

Yeah I have the legs on it. They're the cylinder shaped ones. I had to buy them separate. I didn't see any others. If it falls forward everything will break and I'll sink into depression . . . For awhile

So why not tether it to the wall? It won't be able to tip forward.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't know what that means. And I'm not afraid to admit it ha. And Thank you for your help. Like screw it into the wall? It'd be tipping backwards some wouldn't it? Because the moldings at the bottom don't allow it to hug right up flat against the wall.

I've got 7 Bestas on carpets and none of them are tethered to a wall. I put the same cyclinder legs on them and they are very stable and not at all wobbly. Now all bets are off if an earthquake ever hits, but Boston doesn't see too many of those. :lol

Mister ski I'm from Beantown. Been in Dallas for the last year for work but looking to move back to new England.

Destroyous, sorry! By tether I mean use a strap or bracket of some kind that goes from the back/top of your beta to the wall behind it. A lot of flat screen TV come with a strap yo do this do that they aren't accidentally knocked off their stand. A nylon strap would work great with a couple screws. Doesn't involve screwing it directly to the wall. Just would prevent it from tipping forward. Obv it won't matter in a big earthquake but in a small one I think it's a cheap hidden in solution.

I've got 7 Bestas on carpets and none of them are tethered to a wall. I put the same cyclinder legs on them and they are very stable and not at all wobbly. Now all bets are off if an earthquake ever hits, but Boston doesn't see too many of those. :lol

Alright cool. That does comfort me actually. California gets earthquakes often. a few a year at least but with all the statues in it it does seem to weigh it down enough. My names Kyle. Thanks a lot everyone. And I'll look in to tethering it too though

I don't know what that means. And I'm not afraid to admit it ha. And Thank you for your help. Like screw it into the wall? It'd be tipping backwards some wouldn't it? Because the moldings at the bottom don't allow it to hug right up flat against the wall.

You would give it enough slack so it wouldn't lean against the wall. Also you could just take the legs off and have the unit sit on the carpet directly

Mister ski I'm from Beantown. Been in Dallas for the last year for work but looking to move back to new England.

Destroyous, sorry! By tether I mean use a strap or bracket of some kind that goes from the back/top of your beta to the wall behind it. A lot of flat screen TV come with a strap yo do this do that they aren't accidentally knocked off their stand. A nylon strap would work great with a couple screws. Doesn't involve screwing it directly to the wall. Just would prevent it from tipping forward. Obv it won't matter in a big earthquake but in a small one I think it's a cheap hidden in solution.

I agree that a "loose" strap would work just fine. Something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-...-Hanger-Straps-3-4HS/100396917#specifications
Just take a 6" or so section fasten one end to the wall and the other end to the top of the besta.

I was worried about tipping over with my display too. I got an L-shaped metal bracket from Home Depot, it has a screw hole in one side and another in the other, one side on the wall, one side on the cabinet. Done. Though the metal strap should work fine too.

Just make sure to anchor it on the wall - if the cabinet's heavy enough, and there's an Earthquake, it'll pull right out. Try finding a stud and screwing directly into it (<-have a feeling someone will snicker at that sentence lol).

I have Besta's with Vaasbo glass doors, and the 4 cylindrical extension legs.

- You need some type of legs if you put doors on them. The bottom of the door will scrape against carpet or wood otherwise. The good thing about the adjustable cylindrical legs is you can make the front legs slightly "longer" than the back legs, resulting in a slight tilt backwards. It helps.

- You should secure the unit into the wall, preferably into a wall stud. The problem you mention with bottom molding along the wall is a valid concern. If you screw an anchor directly through the back of your unit, into the wall, you will cause the unit to tip slightly backwards and it won't be flush of course.

However, a little bit of tipping backwards is okay. Also, if you have the lighting taped to the back of the unit, like I do, you need a little space (we are talking millimeters, not centimeters).

Two options - you can get a "brace" that is the same width as your floorboard molding, and secure it to the corner of your Besta and screw it into the wall that way (the little plastic thingy that comes with the Besta doesn't really do this well).

Or, you can get an earthquake strap, like someone mentioned above. These do require you to anchor the strap into a stud, and then secure the strap into the top of the Besta.

I have purchased these, but don't use them because I already screwed my Bestas directly into the wall. But if I had to do it again, I'd use straps... when I change out my lights, I have to unscrew them from the stud and screw them back in... where as if I had the earthquake straps, I'd just unfasten the Besta from the strap, and I never have to mess with my wall again.

I do recommend securing them somehow. Glass doors are heavy. Before I secured my Bestas... if I opened the glass door, the Besta WILL start to fall forward. Using statues as ballast will not work. If you are going to have thousands of dollars of statues, secure them!

Here's a pic where you can see where one of my anchoring screws are:

I have Besta's with Vaasbo glass doors, and the 4 cylindrical extension legs.

- You need some type of legs if you put doors on them. The bottom of the door will scrape against carpet or wood otherwise. The good thing about the adjustable cylindrical legs is you can make the front legs slightly "longer" than the back legs, resulting in a slight tilt backwards. It helps.

- You should secure the unit into the wall, preferably into a wall stud. The problem you mention with bottom molding along the wall is a valid concern. If you screw an anchor directly through the back of your unit, into the wall, you will cause the unit to tip slightly backwards and it won't be flush of course.

However, a little bit of tipping backwards is okay. Also, if you have the lighting taped to the back of the unit, like I do, you need a little space (we are talking millimeters, not centimeters).

Two options - you can get a "brace" that is the same width as your floorboard molding, and secure it to the corner of your Besta and screw it into the wall that way (the little plastic thingy that comes with the Besta doesn't really do this well).

Or, you can get an earthquake strap, like someone mentioned above. These do require you to anchor the strap into a stud, and then secure the strap into the top of the Besta.

I have purchased these, but don't use them because I already screwed my Bestas directly into the wall. But if I had to do it again, I'd use straps... when I change out my lights, I have to unscrew them from the stud and screw them back in... where as if I had the earthquake straps, I'd just unfasten the Besta from the strap, and I never have to mess with my wall again.

I do recommend securing them somehow. Glass doors are heavy. Before I secured my Bestas... if I opened the glass door, the Besta WILL start to fall forward. Using statues as ballast will not work. If you are going to have thousands of dollars of statues, secure them!

Here's a pic where you can see where one of my anchoring screws are:

Are these custom doors you made? Solid 3x1 VASSBO door with self installed custom glass?

Are these custom doors you made? Solid 3x1 VASSBO door with self installed custom glass?

They sold 3x1 VASSBOs with glass in them. They're phasing them out though I think, you can't find them on the website or anything. There was a couple at my Ikea last time I was there though sitting next to the actual Besta Cabinets.

I have legs on some of mine but I use this steel frame that you install to the bottom and the metal legs are part of that. The frame is 2 bestas wide. Seems pretty stable.

Back