Ironman 1/4th Maquette paint apps- widespread problems?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is SS taking these back as "damaged"? The poor chin paint apps ones. How many "good ones" are known?
Well, there are a handfull of members who say that they are 100% happy with theirs; but I have looked at their pictures and even the "happy" people's chins are not completely smooth. The chins were hand painted and you just CANNOT get as smooth a surface as airbrushed; ESPECIALLY with metallic paint. Period.

I had a great conversation with a rep person at Sideshow (not in CS) and they are well aware of the situation, but the chin issue is going to be in varying degrees on all of the IM statues.

Honestly, if mine didn't have the scuffs in the paint on the side of his head and the chip on his hand, I would have kept him because some of the other paint apps and crooked mouths are horrible.

Before opening mine, what should I look for, as far as trouble areas go?
From what I have seen, these are the issues seen the most:
  • The chin is the biggest issue. There are varying degrees of the slop
  • chips on the hands
  • horrible gold paint apps on the back of the leg or upper torso
  • too much/too little black lines

I think Mesa probably got the worst one I have seen yet; there have also been a 1-2 that have cracks on the back of the leg.

Overall, Sideshow's QC really fell short on this one which sucks because it is an amazing sculpt and has a ton of potential.

Well, there are a handfull of members who say that they are 100% happy with theirs; but I have looked at their pictures and even the "happy" people's chins are not completely smooth. The chins were hand painted and you just CANNOT get as smooth a surface as airbrushed; ESPECIALLY with metallic paint. Period.

I can only really speak for myself but there is no issue at all with the chin on mine. I can go stare at it right now if you like to try and find something but all I can say is mine is down right good with all things. Only issue is a small chip on the tip of the left thumb. Which I may have done rotating it to take pics when I clipped the lamp.

From what I have seen, these are the issues seen the most:
  • The chin is the biggest issue. There are varying degrees of the slop
  • chips on the hands
  • horrible gold paint apps on the back of the leg or upper torso
  • too much/too little black lines

I think Mesa probably got the worst one I have seen yet; there have also been a 1-2 that have cracks on the back of the leg.

Overall, Sideshow's QC really fell short on this one which sucks because it is an amazing sculpt and has a ton of potential.

Mine actually only has an issue with the chin but even at the price we paid, I am not sure if I want to accept what is considered one of the better painted versions. Their best painted Mark VI's at this point are still substandard to the products I have known to expect... by that I mean we got some amazing paint apps on the classic Iron Man (325 for the ex), and just recently, very great paint apps on the 300 dollar Wolverine PFs. In terms of quality of product, SideShow I have very little confidence with you concerning your product with the Sabretooth and Darkness LSB issues and of course the 1:1 Iron Man busts that were poorly painted and began to peel. This is getting kind of silly. I know what I just said, but sometimes I wished Hot Toys got into the statue producing game. The paint apps on some of the pieces at 1/6th scale are phenomenal.

This has made me consider going to 1:6 only. I cancelled over 5 statues tonight. I have enough statues. I've had no problems with 1:6, can't say the same about any ironman statue I've ordered. The flaking paint and this may be my last straw. Just some 1:6, art prints, and an motuc sub.

And this costs $500? They rushed out out, it was due later. Now the customers pay for it.

i personally dun think sideshow has to say anything on the forum boards so long as they are contacting actual buyers on the issue.

And as far as i know, they are doing that so they're not hiding or shirking from their responsibility.

mine have paint app flaws as well, however i am trying to convince myself to live with it...recently I had my wolverine PF head replaced do to paint chip....seems like sideshow has lowered their quality control? how are replacements of full size statues usually handled? lot of hassle?

Retailers should be checking these themselves and sending back where necessary. They shouldn't be leaving it to the customer.

Got to say this is why i find this forum invaluable. I'm always checking to see what issues might have risen with any particular item. As such I've been taking the time to open each of the IMs we received into stock.

While it has been mentioned that it is Sideshow's job of quality control, it is also mine. Once a known issue is out there it would be bad business practice to not make the extra effort to make sure my customer recieves a quality product and not just rely on them to go through the process of having to send it back. As many have said, while Sideshow is a huge company and does a very good job with customer support, for a retailer that's obviously smaller then SS, you need to go that extra step for your customer base.

To everyone that gets told that some of the issues they post are petty, for a store like mine I don't consider them to be. Anything you might find to complain about, any customer could too. Better to be aware and have some knowledge of a known issue then to get caught completely off guard. Please continue to always post problems with the products. While I'm sure the manufacturers are listening, so to are the retailers.

Got to say this is why i find this forum invaluable. I'm always checking to see what issues might have risen with any particular item. As such I've been taking the time to open each of the IMs we received into stock.

While it has been mentioned that it is Sideshow's job of quality control, it is also mine. Once a known issue is out there it would be bad business practice to not make the extra effort to make sure my customer recieves a quality product and not just rely on them to go through the process of having to send it back. As many have said, while Sideshow is a huge company and does a very good job with customer support, for a retailer that's obviously smaller then SS, you need to go that extra step for your customer base.

To everyone that gets told that some of the issues they post are petty, for a store like mine I don't consider them to be. Anything you might find to complain about, any customer could too. Better to be aware and have some knowledge of a known issue then to get caught completely off guard. Please continue to always post problems with the products. While I'm sure the manufacturers are listening, so to are the retailers.
Wow, it is awesome to see a retailer step in and put out some feedback and even say that you are willing to take over the quality control that Sideshow failed on. Very cool hear from you and make sure you have a link in the retailers area so we can check you out. I usually buy from Alterego, but I will see what you have.

Now let's see if Sideshow has any input or comments since it is ultimately their failure. :wink1:

mine have paint app flaws as well, however i am trying to convince myself to live with it...recently I had my wolverine PF head replaced do to paint chip....seems like sideshow has lowered their quality control? how are replacements of full size statues usually handled? lot of hassle?

why bend over & take it? send it back :dunno

is it guaranteed the replacement will be better quality? If the hassle is worth it I will sent it back.

Probably not, there seems to be many of them with the defects.

Usually return the whole thing.

The dilemma is this. It would seem a good amount of these are like this. Some might say the majority. No way is the overbuild spares quantity enough to cover more than half replaced. So what do you do? Crooked jaws might be hard to fix without other damage. Black paint apps might be able to be redone and touched up. Might even be able to do gold, but I don't know. So redo the whole lot? Repair the returns? Or offer refund. Or find the faults acceptable and piss off a lot of fans/customers.

The situation sucks for everyone involved.

Back