Iron Studios Black Panther

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Sounds like good advice.

I'm surprised there's no weight for him on the SS website. I'm guessing by his dimensional weight that he's roughly half that number, so maybe 23 pounds or so. Don't know if there's a known number out there.

Specifically? I used a Windsor Newton series 7 #1.

I have a lot of experience painting miniatures, so I'm comfortable with a brush. With that said, the lines on the mask were relatively easy as they're raised objects; you're only looking to apply paint to the top surface of a 3-dimensional shape which helps keep the lines clean. As opposed to trying to freehand a straight/narrow line on a completely flat surface.

You'd just want to make sure the piece was stable (I laid mine down on a folded towel on a table) and well-lit so you can see what you're doing. You'd brace your painting hand on either the piece or even create a rest with your other wrist. Most importantly, don't overload your brush. It's better to build up thin coats than glob it on. And rinse the brush regularly; working with small amounts of paint means the paint will start to dry up faster.

Thank you very much for sharing the specifics! Guess that answered my question about whether it would look "too busy" w. the SA markings - looks amazing! For the inexperienced, would you suggest (tho it would be fiddly) just masking off w. painter tape to be safe?, or just use very light coats and go slow?

Opened mine up today. All I can say is "WOW". I love this. I am 2 for 2 on Iron Studios pieces (1st being the Iron Man Age of Ultron). Here are some iPhone pics. While I would love to complete the mask paint, I am not a painter by trade and I am afraid I'd ruin it. Still, I am very pleased. I'd love to get some other pieces from this line and still might (Cap and Bucky are in my sights).

Congrats to all who have gotten BP in and thanks for posting pics (and painting tips!) The pics just make me glad I fell off the fence and ordered him. Now to get mine in the door - he looks staggeringly good:clap

Specifically? I used a Windsor Newton series 7 #1.

I have a lot of experience painting miniatures, so I'm comfortable with a brush. With that said, the lines on the mask were relatively easy as they're raised objects; you're only looking to apply paint to the top surface of a 3-dimensional shape which helps keep the lines clean. As opposed to trying to freehand a straight/narrow line on a completely flat surface.

You'd just want to make sure the piece was stable (I laid mine down on a folded towel on a table) and well-lit so you can see what you're doing. You'd brace your painting hand on either the piece or even create a rest with your other wrist. Most importantly, don't overload your brush. It's better to build up thin coats than glob it on. And rinse the brush regularly; working with small amounts of paint means the paint will start to dry up faster.

Wow, you make it sound so easy. Even I want to try it. LOL!
But I do know what you mean about painting on the top surface of a 3D shape. It's easier to make it look clean when you can let the brush drop off the top edge.

You did a great job on your BP!

Thank you very much for sharing the specifics! Guess that answered my question about whether it would look "too busy" w. the SA markings - looks amazing! For the inexperienced, would you suggest (tho it would be fiddly) just masking off w. painter tape to be safe?, or just use very light coats and go slow?

If you want to mask off areas, use this https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-300087030-Masking-Tape-6mm/dp/B0000WRZZQ and a hobby knife. Cut small pieces with sharp clean edges and work slowly. It won't work on the bits where his eyebrows are... the lines are too small and curvy. But it may help on some of the larger ones.

I think it might be more trouble than is necessary, but if it makes you more comfortable working with your statue, go for it.

More than anything, before touching your statue, just practice with the brush for a bit. Find something you can paint on to get a feel for how much paint to apply and controlling the brush. If it has similarly small details you can practice picking out, the better.

If you want to mask off areas, use this https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-300087030-Masking-Tape-6mm/dp/B0000WRZZQ and a hobby knife. Cut small pieces with sharp clean edges and work slowly. It won't work on the bits where his eyebrows are... the lines are too small and curvy. But it may help on some of the larger ones.

I think it might be more trouble than is necessary, but if it makes you more comfortable working with your statue, go for it.

More than anything, before touching your statue, just practice with the brush for a bit. Find something you can paint on to get a feel for how much paint to apply and controlling the brush. If it has similarly small details you can practice picking out, the better.

THANK YOU:)! Yes, I would be more comfortable masking off what I could, and very much appreciate specifics. And it's great advice - every single time I have tried to wing it even just painting a wall, there's an issue - spatter, drips. Am willing to try a touch-up (after all, SOMEONE painted these) but w. a lot of care. And the practice advice is great - the few times I've tried "art" painting am surprised at how much paint a small brush can pick up (and the mess you can make...)

Thanks for all of the tips. I'm going to keep mine as is. If the statue was in the $25-$50 range, I may have tried to paint it but at the price we all know it is, it would just be too big of a risk for me. Regardless, I still love it. Anxious to see the final versions of both Winter Soldier and Captain America.

Thanks for all of the tips. I'm going to keep mine as is. If the statue was in the $25-$50 range, I may have tried to paint it but at the price we all know it is, it would just be too big of a risk for me. Regardless, I still love it. Anxious to see the final versions of both Winter Soldier and Captain America.

Re touching up BP, or not, IMO you can't go wrong either way. Seems like IS worked from early concept art???

Black-Panther-Marvel-Movie-Costume.jpg

And suspect the average visitor wouldn't even know the difference.

*Meh* IS marketing re WS and CA. If it weren't for ManiaGeek (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1v0YWDtq0) and the occasional concept store fan pic (and this is AWESOME:clap)...

Iron_studios_civil_war_1_4.jpg

I still wouldn't have an idea about these figs - LOL the 'shopped studio art is just a teaser of sorts. Just hope someone going to SDCC talks to IS about marketing/selling more outside Brazil, because re posts on other forums people DO like their designs.

Thought I would throw this up, 'coz one complaint about this dio has been no SW and BP:(. But if you own the GG Black Widow, there may be a way to add her to the display:idea - think this is Cap's base? but may be a way to imitate the CW 1/4 bases....

Black_widow_new_base.jpg

My Black Panther has shipped!!! :blissy

Should be here by end of week - praying for no *issues* 'coz UPS can be brutal.:horror
It's gonna feel SURREAL - my first IS piece. Should have been Falcon:cuckoo:, but us poor U.S. folks! (LOL no pun intended re the price:lol)

You'll love it! The details are outstanding. Hope there are no issues for you. Now anxious to see some pics of Winter Soldier.

I heard back from Sideshow concerning my busted base - they have no replacements so I settled for a $60 credit. It kills me that I have a busted base, oh well...at least I don't have to smash it! :)
They said to try zap-a-gap...anybody use this in the past?

Well that's disappointing.

That could indicate that Sideshow may not have any replacement parts for these Iron Studio pieces.

You could always try to contact Iron Studios directly via Facebook etc.

Well that's disappointing.

That could indicate that Sideshow may not have any replacement parts for these Iron Studio pieces.

You could always try to contact Iron Studios directly via Facebook etc.

That's not a bad idea...I'm not surprised about replacements since these are pretty limited as well
I might try that though, thanks for the advice :)

I heard back from Sideshow concerning my busted base - they have no replacements so I settled for a $60 credit. It kills me that I have a busted base, oh well...at least I don't have to smash it! :)
Sucks that you have to repair it for something that costs so much.
As long as you can live with it, I guess.

Just want to say I am sorry:(:(:(. Putting a happy review in a separate post, but not insensitive to negative feelings and buzz-kill of dealing w. something like this. Have heard that zap-a-gap is a preferred choice for repairs; also Gorilla glue's version of super glue (not the Gorilla glue that foams up). I've used the super glue version and it seems pretty good. Far as I can tell, the side plate is some form of plastic, so maybe a good super glue would do well?

If it's any comfort my piece has a slight flaw - claw gouges are off - but not a deal breaker for me. IMO it's an amazing piece.:)
A long shot, but you could try reaching out to Iron Studios. I've read here and there they may be slow, but are pretty good about helping customers if contacted directly.:dunno

^^^ I've used Gorilla Glue and Super Glue successfully on broken pieces. As long at the area is clean of debris and the two pieces line up with a clean and minimally visible seam, then you should be fine. Good luck on the patch!

Well, Iko Iko is right re my feelings on this piece.:cool:.

So, OK, #63 has an "individual variation":pfft: and my metal gouges don't line up w. the claws. *Exasperated*:slap. There is some slight wiggle room re the fig and hand, but the middle fingers are kind of set against the uneven edge of the "metal" plate. On mine, any wiggling I think is straining the piece. *Shrug*. It's fixable w. some effort, but *whatever*.

On the other hand, overall, my first IS piece and first poly of this kind -
:yess::love::monkey5:banana:bow:ccheerlea:

Holy *******!!!!!:blissy:blissy:blissy
SSC says he is almost sold out - OMG, this guy wasn't even on my radar...am in awe! The bad thing is tho, now I am going to sick w. excitement:lol over Falcon and Bucky, if they are THIS good. Pics don't do justice, they really don't.

BlackPanther_ironstudiosA.jpg

No complaints about the packing - lots of careful foam. Man, U.S. Falcon must have been really beat up to have that much breakage????
My outer box did have a slight gouge tho...

BlackPanther_ironstudios1.jpg

BlackPanther_ironstudios2.jpg

Jeez, amazing paint - bits of color that look like corroded metal:love

BlackPanther_ironstudios3.jpg

Clean paint w. fantastic detail. Love the color washes on the "metal" and stone; entire piece feels solid:love

BlackPanther_ironstudios4.jpg

Argh!!! And it's not as simple as someone mis-gluing the metal plate, because the middle fingers kind of nestle into a bump on the edge. Not thrilled as it's a design element, but *whatever*. Hard to tell depending on display angle - e.g. least it is not breakage and for me also the dreaded "floating figure on base" and most of all the dreaded googly eyes and paint slop (for me). (I mean, I kind of like SSC's Shard, but some of the pics I see seem to have an eye issue - WS, Cap and IM - looking at you!!!:pray::pray::pray:)

BlackPanther_ironstudios5.jpg

Still...:clap
BlackPanther_ironstudios6.jpg

BlackPanther_ironstudios7.jpg

And some moments in time are just TOO perfect.:lol
BlackPanther_ironstudios_kitty.jpg

Sucks that you have to repair it for something that costs so much.
As long as you can live with it, I guess.

It'll always be in my mind that it's busted but I really want to keep the statue so I'll have to live with it :)

Just want to say I am sorry:(:(:(. Putting a happy review in a separate post, but not insensitive to negative feelings and buzz-kill of dealing w. something like this. Have heard that zap-a-gap is a preferred choice for repairs; also Gorilla glue's version of super glue (not the Gorilla glue that foams up). I've used the super glue version and it seems pretty good. Far as I can tell, the side plate is some form of plastic, so maybe a good super glue would do well?

If it's any comfort my piece has a slight flaw - claw gouges are off - but not a deal breaker for me. IMO it's an amazing piece.:)
A long shot, but you could try reaching out to Iron Studios. I've read here and there they may be slow, but are pretty good about helping customers if contacted directly.:dunno

Thank you for all of the advice Sassafras
I don't want anybody to have issues with their statues, I'm happy for you! :) I'm glad you like yours, it looks great!

^^^ I've used Gorilla Glue and Super Glue successfully on broken pieces. As long at the area is clean of debris and the two pieces line up with a clean and minimally visible seam, then you should be fine. Good luck on the patch!

Thank you!

Back