Iron Man - DIE CAST Worth the Extra $$ ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. I buy a lot of iron men and prefer the plastic ones due to price. As others have said, visually - they look just as good as the diecast figures. However, as I said - I but a lot of iron men so I don't really handle any particular one much. If you think you'll actually handle the figure a bit and are only buying one - the diecast figure does have a more premium feel to it in hand. If you like to display figures on different types of poses - the diecast ones may not hold them as well. I have a couple now where the legs just won't stay up due to the weight.

marvel-iron-man-2-mark-vi-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902901-11.jpg

Versus...

marvel-avengers-iron-man-mark-vi-sixth-scale-hot-toys-9028151-01.jpg

I know which one I'm picking.

The point is, the plastic Iron Man Mk6 is a rerelease of a figure that first came out in 2011. The diecast one is brand new. It is better because it is the latest generation of figure that Hot Toys has made and built on the R&D of dozens of Iron Mans since, not because it is diecast.

The depressing part of all of this is if you want the latest and greatest designs and engineering in the classic armors and Ultron and Civil War stuff, you are stuck paying the $100 extra diecast tax because that is all they are making. If you want plastic you are buying HHP suits, old releases or rereleases. Or like me, nix 1/6 diecast and just buy a few gorgeous 1/4 suits and be done with it.

Yeah. The reason why the new figures are better is just due to improved engineering and design, not the material. If I can get the same figure in plastic for $50~$100 less, I'd be totally down with that, too.

The point is, the plastic Iron Man Mk6 is a rerelease of a figure that first came out in 2011. The diecast one is brand new. It is better because it is the latest generation of figure that Hot Toys has made and built on the R&D of dozens of Iron Mans since, not because it is diecast.

The depressing part of all of this is if you want the latest and greatest designs and engineering in the classic armors and Ultron and Civil War stuff, you are stuck paying the $100 extra diecast tax because that is all they are making. If you want plastic you are buying HHP suits, old releases or rereleases. Or like me, nix 1/6 diecast and just buy a few gorgeous 1/4 suits and be done with it.

I totally get it, unless you're somebody who cares about the extra weight (like me), diecast is simply a reason to increase the price.

Let's say HT released both a plastic and diecast Mk6 that look identical to the diecast Mk6 they will be releasing -- honestly, I don't know which one I would buy. To me, weight is quantifiable, and it counts for something. +$100 though? I don't know...

All I do know is that it doesn't bother me that they are re-releasing og HoA suits in diecast, rather than plastic. I'm just appreciative of the fact that they are updating the original releases, whatever the medium.

Let's say HT released both a plastic and diecast Mk6 that look identical to the diecast Mk6 they will be releasing -- honestly, I don't know which one I would buy. To me, weight is quantifiable, and it counts for something. +$100 though? I don't know...

I wish there was that option. I'm no longer able to get all the figures I want when they're now $350+. When handling some of the diecast figures, I feel like most of the pieces are just plastic and they just have some diecast here and there to make it weigh more. I wonder if I could just add some little metal weights to some of the plastic figures to get a similar "premium" feel.

Yep as others have said, it is totally personal preference.

There is a pretty big market for diecast (not just 1:6 figures). I also own some 1:18 plastic and diecast armor pieces and although diecast is nice, for me there is not much difference in the look.

Same with IM figures, for me if they look the same, diecast does not justify the cost increase.

The plus (for me at least) is handling diecast IM figures is much easier because I don't worry about finger prints or dirtying up or scratching the armor.

Which version of the two MarkVIs currently available for order or purchase would I prefer to buy, just on the photos we've seen?... no contest...

That's two entirely different figures though. They could make the diecast version in plastic (and the prototype probably IS plastic so the pictures you see are most likely a plastic figure) and it would LOOK the same. If it's worth 50-100 bucks more just so it feels heavier is a personal choice. It's really not about Diecast v plastic since there are not any identical figures that have versions available of each. They can make both diecast and plastic, as currently engineered, the same. Most the diecast are still largely plastic.

The only thing is if you like a figure and want to pay for it. Diecast or plastic is irrelevant. You can't choice one over the other so it makes no difference if you would prefer one over the other.

There is a pretty big market for diecast (not just 1:6 figures). I also own some 1:18 plastic and diecast armor pieces and although diecast is nice, for me there is not much difference in the look.

Same with IM figures, for me if they look the same, diecast does not justify the cost increase.

The plus (for me at least) is handling diecast IM figures is much easier because I don't worry about finger prints or dirtying up or scratching the armor.

You do know that most of the figure you are touching is still plastic..so the argument about fingerprints and what not doesn't really apply. Like 25% of the exterior surfaces are diecast on most hot toys D.C. Figures and are painted with the same stuff so how it responds to dust and smudges is identical. And diecast scratches and flakes much much easier as the paint does not bond as well as with plastic.

Title says it all...

I'm interested in picking up a hot toys iron man...havent nailed down which one yet. It the Diecast that much better for the price?

Absolutely. People are very impressed when you tell them your toys have been enhanced by the addition of 50c worth of the worlds cheapest pot metal.

And the reduction in fine detail makes it even better!

As a n00b in this....I had no idea this was a heavily debated topic....thanks for the input. Still have no idea what I'm going to do lol..

On a side note....I did order a civil war cap in solid titanium plastic ��

Absolutely. People are very impressed when you tell them your toys have been enhanced by the addition of 50c worth of the worlds cheapest pot metal.

And the reduction in fine detail makes it even better!

Sarcasm aside, does HT really use cheap low-quality metal? And is the diecast process cheaper than molding hard plastic?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

WHAT? Now you guys are claiming that these plastic " diecast" figures are more resistant to dirt and scratches? ???

Considerin' how max of 20% of any fig is die cast?
Nope, absolutely not worth it.

You do know that most of the figure you are touching is still plastic..so the argument about fingerprints and what not doesn't really apply. Like 25% of the exterior surfaces are diecast on most hot toys D.C. Figures and are painted with the same stuff so how it responds to dust and smudges is identical. And diecast scratches and flakes much much easier as the paint does not bond as well as with plastic.

Didn't realize it was that low...all I know is I try to handle my plastic IM figures with gloves but I have no fears handling the WM MkII or the IM Mk 42 without gloves. Guess I need to be more careful with my DC ones now too.
But yeah agreed on the paint...it would seem it would flake off easier on the diecast. Luckily I've not had that problem since I try to move any IM figure carefully

The actual die cast bits are a fair bit fewer than plastic ones, particularly on certain figures like the Mark III. Still nice having the cold touch and weighty feel, even if it is minimal.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"Diecast has nothing to do with any difference in the look of the two versions and you know it so by make a post like this?"

"That's two entirely different figures though. They could make the diecast version in plastic (and the prototype probably IS plastic so the pictures you see are most likely a plastic figure) and it would LOOK the same."

That's more the point I was getting at, and I didn't make that at all clear in my last post.

I'm well aware the upcoming dc VI isn't better because of the die-cast material. BUT, if you want the better version of a figure, it'll be the "diecast" of any given figure you'll be forking out for.. All primary Iron Man figures from this point (in all likelihood) will be marketed as die-cast, at die-cast prices. If they re-release any of the older figures in plastic, like they recently did with the IV and VI, and at the same time announce a total new 'die-cast' figure, the gulf between the two will probably be the same as the two VIs now available for order, and the prices will reflect that. It won't be the reverse. I just don't see them pouring what they've learnt from Mark 42/43/45 into an 'all-plastic' 47/48 figure, nor not using die-cast for the Mark 47 onwards.

So, as to the original question, "is die-cast worth the extra $$$?"... Yes, if you want the better version of a figure, Not because it contains die-cast parts, but because it is the die-cast versions they're putting the work into. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another palette swap of the Mark VII for some show or occasion in plastic, and a d/c VII (within a year either side) to add to the III, V, and VI lineup, and I bet the d/c will end up being the better overall figure.

And the HPP, well they'll no doubt keep pushing them out the same way they have been.

Recently, received the diecast war machine mark I 2.0 and it's everything I've wanted in a high end iron man figure. I could have used more ratchet joints instead of ball joints for long term stability and durability, but it's great. Now, this being my first HT diecast figure I think the metal content is more than sufficient, being the whole legs, ankle joints and half of the arms. There could be internal metal too. Last time I checked my math that's a lot more than 20%. I have a lot of chogokin (diecast robots) in my collection and war machine is the heaviest non-combining diecast figure I own. I owned the original plastic war machine and mark VI and while they looked good, they felt kind of cheap and hollow. The plastic felt thin and brittle. Whereas the diecast rendition gives the suitable heft I've wanted to see in these high end iron men figures for years now. That cold feeling you get when picking up the figure is great! So I'm in the camp who likes to handle their figures regularly and who will support the diecast line to get all of the latest updates in toy engineering and sculpt accuracy. Granted the old price of $165 for the plastic to the $360 for the diecast war machine was hard to swallow. However, when comparing HT's diecast figure price to other diecast japanese robot figures of a similar a size and quality the price is kind of what I'm used to paying already. HT is still on the higher side of diecast robot or robot like figure prices, but at least we do get an extremely high level of detail for the price. It just comes down to which suits I liked the most and how much I want the ultimate version of the design to pony up the cash for it. I won't get all of them, but a select few that needs all of the bells and whistles that includes the diecast.

Back