Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw it....expected to really not like it too much after reading all of the comments in here, but...it was entertaining enough, I guess.

The thing I find the most amusing about it is....it's basically a date/buddie/plucky kid family flick with "Iron Man" curtains and accessories thrown in.

The neat, tidy "period" at the end (talk about leaving a mess for Whedon to sort out!) right down to the flashback-styled montage clips.

It was "okay"...but I can see why so many folks are upset....the whole "Mandarian" thing was a bit of a bad joke, the "Extremis" thing felt more "Terminator" than anything else and there were a lot of "call-outs" to other Shane Black flicks to the point where it was getting distracting...

Be interesting to see what the final consensus is once the new-ness wears off and folks have had a chance to see it again and/or think about it some more....

IM2 has now grown on me, so time does weird things. :lol

Her being knowing how to use the mask I will assume was shown to her by Stark at somepoint. Also, could be since its his system he has pepper in it as you said as part of a failsafe.

Yeah - I don't feel like the movie showed that "anyone" can hop into the suits. The only people who do are Pepper and Savin, right? I mean, the president is in IP, but he doesn't exactly use it. :) With Pepper, it actually makes a great deal of sense for her to have some rudimentary knowledge of how to use the suit. We've seen her at Stark's side talking about tech plenty of times, and it makes sense for her to have some familiarity with it to help Stark out, if nothing else.

As for Savin, IP was upgraded by AIM, and the intent always seemed to take it over... so him knowing how to use it as part of the plan totally makes sense.

Her being knowing how to use the mask I will assume was shown to her by Stark at somepoint. Also, could be since its his system he has pepper in it as you said as part of a failsafe.

I suppose. One of the things I liked during the recent Invincible Iron Man run was pepper getting the rescue suit. Her being tagged with the extremis could lead to that. I think over the three movies several things have come from that. For me that's why some of the things we've seen don't bother me.

Nope, he cured her extremis problem, well, he said "sorted it all out" for her, so maybe not a cure, who knows.

I enjoyed extremis in the books, no so much in the movie.

Maybe because i'm not a fan of lava lamps. :lol

Yeah - I don't feel like the movie showed that "anyone" can hop into the suits. The only people who do are Pepper and Savin, right? I mean, the president is in IP, but he doesn't exactly use it. :) With Pepper, it actually makes a great deal of sense for her to have some rudimentary knowledge of how to use the suit. We've seen her at Stark's side talking about tech plenty of times, and it makes sense for her to have some familiarity with it to help Stark out, if nothing else.

As for Savin, IP was upgraded by AIM, and the intent always seemed to take it over... so him knowing how to use it as part of the plan totally makes sense.

Agreed on the first and the second makes sense to me.

Nope, he cured her extremis problem, well, he said "sorted it all out" for her, so maybe not a cure, who knows.

I enjoyed extremis in the books, no so much in the movie.

Maybe because i'm not a fan of lava lamps. :lol

He did say that so it's possible what I'm thinking goes no place quick. We shall see.

The extremis story line was cool in the comics. I didn't read too many but it was alright. So I didn't mind how it was done in the movie. I really want this to lead to the Bleeding Edge tech.

I'm trying to sort it all out, I guess all the drones were just a plot device to show how he was coping with his PTSD, which was an obsession to remain awake and build lots of suits, hence why he decided to blow them all up at the end, they became a distraction between him and pepper so it was time to let them go.

Weird connection to him building drones and the Chitauri in Avengers all being similar drones, i'm probably just reaching there, roger, roger. :lol

I'm trying to sort it all out, I guess all the drones were just a plot device to show how he was coping with his PTSD, which was an obsession to remain awake and build lots of suits, hence why he decided to blow them all up at the end, they became a distraction between him and pepper so it was time to let them go.

Weird connection to him building drones and the Chitauri in Avengers all being similar drones, i'm probably just reaching there, roger, roger. :lol

Then Whiplash's drones from Iron Man 2 too.

Then Whiplash's drones from Iron Man 2 too.

In the prelude comic he mentions he built all the armors to prepare for what's coming, aka the return of the chitauri....but who knows if that's official or whatever. Which doesn't make sense given the ending of IM3...

Rhodes also shows up for Shawarma :lol

I took it as a similar thing to Batman. Bruce is obsessed with being Batman, just like Tony is obsessed with being Ironman. Now he's not obsessed anymore.

Occam's Razor suggests they were just winging it.

There's just too much out-of-left-field stuff in this movie for me to rationally believe otherwise.

I was going back reading some articles I remembered, leading up to this movie...Look at this ****...look how badly they trolled us :lol *** holes :cuss :rotfl

A fresh report from the set of Iron Man 3 from USA Today takes us behind the scenes of the third outing for Tony Stark and what will surely be his toughest test yet. Sir Ben Kingsley's portrayal of The Mandarin has reportedly roused even the most jaded Marvel Studios film crew; Kingsley has such a dangerous aura while filming scenes as The Mandarin that crew members are literally scared to speak.

"On his last take of his first full day as the Mandarin, when they yelled 'Cut!' the entire crew burst into applause, spearheaded by Mr. Downey himself," Feige said. "It was pretty amazing to see that."

Out of the six Marvel Studios films that have come before Feige says that he can count on one hand how many times something like that has happened.

"That's what you get when you hire Sir Ben Kingsley. He's so excited about his part and so into this character, and frankly just scaring the heck out of everybody," Feige continued. "[The film crew] are like, 'You've broken us out of our skeptical malaise!' "

This news definitely bodes well for Iron Man 3 wouldn't you say? If the crew members that have been there through out most, if not all, of the Marvel Studios film endeavors are impressed, imagine how mesmerized moviegoers will be come May 3rd.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=69291

Well, he is pretty chilling before the reveal in those propaganda videos. I can't wait to see those deleted scenes where he calls Stark out personally (which may be in the blu ray according to the podcast).

Kingsley is no slouch in either role. I think that's what is so jarring for some folks. If there wasn't a twist and that sinister Mandarin from the first half continued, it'd been pretty bad ***. If it didn't though, we wouldn't have gotten to see Kingsley's other half which was just as rewarding for the exact opposite reason.

There's a 180 degree range there.

Well, he is pretty chilling before the reveal in those propaganda videos. I can't wait to see those deleted scenes where he calls Stark out personally (which may be in the blu ray according to the podcast).

Kingsley is no slouch in either role. I think that's what is so jarring for some folks. If there wasn't a twist and that sinister Mandarin from the first half continued, it'd been pretty bad ***. If it didn't though, we wouldn't have gotten to see Kingsley's other half which was just as rewarding for the exact opposite reason.

I loved that moment after he addresses Air Force One and he says a line like " not your little red white and blue attack dog"...I forget the whole line. but his delivery was really well done. It had me really looking forward to the rest of his moments, it looked like he was going to be an intense character. Which is what I wanted. Obviously we didn't get that :lol

But ah well. At this point I'm over it really, and enjoying it for what it is. It's too much fun.

This wasn't even a tenth as plausible as the first film. Hell, even Thor & Asgard is more believable.

Yes . . . the tech-based hard science from the first film has been replaced by Dr. Seuss tech at this point.
Magic time! :joy

The suits must read minds or something.

The source material (the comics) established as far back as the 1970s that Stark utilized a neural interface to send thought commands through the cybernetic helmet relays that cradle the user's skull. (Eat your heart out Firefox!)
It was 21st century tech, but was plausible & well written.
And the cyber-tech had glitches that provided dicey plot twists when needed. (Suits could be hacked & hijacked, etc.)
Sci-fi for sure, but still believable. And--most importantly--it was internally consistent.

This movie, however, has an antagonist that breathes fire.

And Favreau is now a bloated sausage . . . . :pow

I actually like the PTSD angle and him having to get outside his own box.

I personally found the PTSD treatment to be perfunctory lip service.
As good as RDJ has been, I found his take on that plot device to be weak and rushed.
The hacks (read: scriptwriters) should have at least taken a page from Sensei Carlin for some good shell-shocked puns:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYE_unBFxuU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYE_unBFxuU[/ame]

___

I loved that moment after he addresses Air Force One and he says a line like " not your little red white and blue attack dog"...I forget the whole line. but his delivery was really well done. It had me really looking forward to the rest of his moments, it looked like he was going to be an intense character. Which is what I wanted. Obviously we didn't get that :lol

But ah well. At this point I'm over it really, and enjoying it for what it is. It's too much fun.

My favorite line was the one about fortune cookies. Great delivery too! What a god damn tease that was. He was building up to be a pretty memorable (in a great way) villain.

I agree Kingsley plays both roles excellently, but every Superhero movie needs a great villain, and what we are left with after the clever twist is a very bland one.

Back