Iron Man 2 Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ant Man is one of those that I have a really hard time seeing having his own movie. Seems like more of a subplot for another movie. But if they are going to make it, why wouldn't they go ahead and have Wasp in it too?

Exclusive: The Return of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
Source:Edward Douglas
August 29, 2008

The summer's just about over and surely one of the clear-cut winners in terms of superhero movies is Marvel Studios' Iron Man, and in the nearly four months since it came out, there's been a lot of talk about its already-in-the-works sequel Iron Man 2. We already know that director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. were coming back, and we presume that so is Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow, since they've both signed multi-picture deals, but what about some of the agents of Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate (S.H.I.E.L.D.) who were introduced in the first movie?

Yesterday, Superhero Hype! talked with actor/filmmaker Clark Gregg about his directorial debut, an ambitious adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's Choke starring Sam Rockwell, which garnered a lot of buzz at the Sundance Film Festival. When we asked him about what he had coming up next, he mentioned returning for the new season of Julia Louis-Dreyfus' hit CBS sitcom "The New Adventures of Old Christine" on which he's a regular, but also that he held out some hope that he'd returning as Agent Phil Coulson in the sequel.

"I was on a plane with Robert Downey the other day, and I was saying, 'C'mon now, I'm feeling Coulson's gotta come back!' so we're open," he told us before joking, "I'm pretty sure Downey will be in the next one. I'm pretty sure Gwyneth (will be)."

But what about Samuel L. Jackson, who made a brief post-credit cameo as the one and only Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D. We spoke to him at Comic-Con International last month and this is what he had to say about reprising the role in future Marvel Films:

"We've talked about it and there's up until 2011 before 'The Avengers' shows up, so he'll show up periodically from time to time."

So while there's essentially no real news if either of the S.H.I.E.L.D. staples will be returning, there's high hopes that Marvel knows they have a good thing if they've already talked to Jackson about returning, and we'll have to see if Clark Gregg prodding Downey will be enough to bring back Fury's wingman Agent Coulson.

I think it might be cool if Tony does some work for SHIELD or something in the next movie. Maybe he could even be going after whoever the bad guy is on their behalf as opposed to deciding to go after some baddie on his own. On the other hand just little cameos may be good to keep us salivating for the Avengers.

Quick question here, and I'm sure it's been discussed so I apologize if I'm an echo in here :eek: But why did they choose Samuel L Jackson to play the cameo for Nick Fury? Isn't Nick Fury a middle aged white guy that has brown hair and white hair by the temples? (kinda similar to mr. Fantastic) just curious :)

they did ask david hasselhoff to reprise his role as nick fury but he refused stating, "i don't need to do that kind of stuff anymore. it's beneath me. i'm on top of the world right now. i was in click and on youtube and i rocked them both, so no thanks." so they looked for the guy who looks and sounds most like david hasselhoff. and that's why they chose samuel l. jackson. plus apparently in the avengers there's supposed to be a scene about foot massages, and samuel l. has experience with these things.

:lol

In reality if you read "The Ultimates" and follow a bit of that storyline mixed in with the standard Marvel Universe "616" you'll see that they've combined both into an overall origin. In the Ultimates Universe, Nick Fury was modeled after Samuel L. Jackson, all of the ultimates were including Brad Pitt for Thor. SLJ was the only actor to sign off on his likeness and when the film was made Faverau and company felt it would only make sense to use the newest incarnation for the cameo.

Iron Man 2 to Star the Mandarin, and Maybe War Machine
Posted at 10:10 AM Sep 12, 2008

Jon Favreau was at a press conference yesterday for the upcoming Iron Man DVD, where he announced that the villain of Iron Man 2 would be his main comic nemesis, the Mandarin, the evil Chinese man with the magic rings. (Seriously. Forty years of comcis history, and an evil magic Chinese man is Iron Man's biggest villain. Sigh.) Here's the important news:

• Matt Fraccion's current Iron Man run is inspiring.

"I'll tell you which [comic books] we're looking at very closely, not so much for story but for tone: the Matt Fraction [ones]," he said. "I haven't talked to him yet, but we want to talk to him and get him out here. The Fraction series seems to be informed as much by our movie as by what had happened with Iron Man before."
• Mandarin's insane Fu Manchu-style racism is a bit of a challenge. From Scifi.com:

In terms of the villain, Favreau admitted that he is still struggling with the character of the Mandarin and how to properly translate him into the movie's world. Though he hints at a possible appearance in part two, he indicated that it's unlikely he will be the primary focus. "We'll see how that basic group of four people moves forward towards the inevitable Avengers that's coming and how the Mandarin, how largely he looms in the next one, that's mostly what we're doing," Favreau said.
• If Terrence Howard will stop ^^^^ing around with a music career, he can be War Machine.

And what's up with the 800-pound gorilla in the room, War Machine, the superpowered character that Howard's Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes morphs into? "I want to do it," Favreau said enthusiastically. "We're drawing War Machine. We're figuring it out. We're talking to Terrence to see if he can take some time out of his new life as a musician to be War Machine. I think Terrence and the character of Rhodey were smaller in the first movie than we had anticipated. But it does set the table very well for this character."

Iron Man 2

Paramount released a statement that listed the upcoming movies in their line up, along with Spielberg and Dreamworks leaving Paramount to start their own venture:
Paramount released a statement (via Nikki Finke's DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD
DAILY) on Friday saying, "We congratulate Steven, David and Stacey, and
wish them well as they start their newest venture. Steven is one of the
world's great story-tellers and a legend in the motion picture business.
It has been an honor working closely with him and the DreamWorks team
over the last three years and we expect to continue our successful
collaboration with Steven in the future."

"To facilitate a timely and smooth transition, Paramount has waived
certain provisions from the original deal to clear the way for the
DreamWorks principals and their employees to join their new company
without delay."

"The acquisition of DreamWorks has been beneficial both creatively and
financially for Paramount and accelerated our strategy of focusing on
our world-class franchises and brands. It gave us a solid slate of films
to fill out our lineup, a valuable catalog we were able to monetize, and
a development pipeline that will bear fruit for us for years to come.
The acquisition jump-started our rebuilding plans, which are now well
underway and include promising upcoming releases such as STAR TREK by
J.J. Abrams, G.I. JOE by Stephen Sommers, TRANSFORMERS 2 by Michael Bay,
David Fincher's THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, and Jon Favreau's
IRON MAN 2, among many others."

Finke also reports that her sources said the deal was done last week and
was likely to be signed any day. Further, her sources say DreamWorks
informed Paramount within the last 24 hours that the deal with Reliance
was done. Today, Paramount waived certain provisions from the original
deal to clear the way for DreamWorks to leave.

Re: Iron Man 2

empire online had an insight to this film a while back, JF was struggling to figure out a villian, he doesnt know how to execute mandarin and even if he did he would be in a third film,
war machine was confirmed though,

i cant wait, is this gonna be our ''official'' thread or are there gonna be hundreds for every bit of leaked info until release?

J

This could be the official thread. I didn't see anymore. I haven't seen the first Iron Man yet but plan to when it gets released on BluRay. I am also not up on the Iron Man lore. I plan on going and reading some of the graphic novels to get familiar with it though.

i just know the very basics and not read much on him, the first film is brilliant, and im sure you will love it

i would recommend not reading too much GN as it will just lead to dissapointment with the movies,
but if you are enjoying the GN then go for it! but dont do it for the movies

Back