Iron Man 2 Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theroux to Script Iron Man Sequel
Source: Variety
July 15, 2008

Marvel Studios' first production and this summer's current top-grosser Iron Man, has been so successful, grossing over $560 million worldwide, that it was a foregone conclusion that a sequel would happen sooner rather than later. What might be surprising is that according to Variety, they're changing writers for the second movie, going with actor/filmmaker Justin Theroux to pen the sequel, which is planned for a late April release in 2010.

While Marvel Studios negotiates with director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. to bring them back for the sequel, they've hired Theroux, who some might know from his acting roles in McG's Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and HBO's "Six Feet Under." He also wrote and executive produced Ben Stiller's upcoming war comedy Tropic Thunder (also starring Robert Downey Jr.), and presumably Marvel saw that he could write comedy and action suitable for shellhead's sequel. (Marvel Studios themselves haven't commented on any of the developments on the sequel as of yet.)

Robert Downey Jr. Talks Iron Man 2 and Sherlock Holmes
Fresh off an amazing, multi-layered comedic performance in TROPIC THUNDER, Robert Downey Jr. commented on Iron Man 2, saying that his goals for the movie included not following the superhero formula.

“Our goals are more of the same. The idea that he said he’s Iron Man in part 1…it’s one thing to say it, and it’s another thing to actually evolve to the point where you can live in a heroic fashion. You know, they say, ‘The superhero movie always needs to follow…’ and I said who is that guy? Get him out of here! We want to do what worked for us last time, in a way that evolves. We’re talking about a guy who is put in an extraordinary circumstance, and the people that are around him, and how that creates a sense of family, and how that disrupts whatever forces that we have to say that are working [in his life]. I like the idea of an Iron Man 2 that you’re able to understand various points of view. You’re able to touch on some subjects that are a lot more far reaching, while still grounding it in entertainment.”

the-avengers-movie.jpg

Downey, Jr. talks more Iron Man 2
First things first. There will not be a Hulk in the sequel. Are there going to be other cameos since The Avengers will becoming right after? Yup. Who are they going to be? Well, even he doesn't know yet. You can read more of his interview with Latino Review by going here.

I can't help but think Captain America has to appear in the sequel. There was so much talk floating around Hollywood and the Internet that he would be in the Hulk, and the fact that he's getting his own movie, only further cements the notion that he would appear in the sequel. It'd be really cool if they could sneak in another cameo for Thor since the original Earth's Mightiest Heroes consisted of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man, Wasp and Hulk.

So much speculation, and not enough concrete information. In any case I can't wait to see how this all develops!

Interview:
During today's Tropic Thunder press junket, Robert Downey Jr. was talking about his role in the Ben Stiller comedy. During the course of the interview Iron Man 2 was brought up by one of the journalists:

Downey: Iron Man 2 is in the works.

It's not going to be with the Hulk is it?

Downey: No.

Hmmm...not enough info me, so I wanted to dig a bit deeper, see what I could get out of him, so I asked more about the sequel:

But have ideas been thrown around for other cameos, since there's an Avengers project in the works?

Downey: Ya, it's a big world. It's kind of hard to navigate because you want to be able to set up The Avengers in Iron Man 2, but you don't want to um....

Take the focus off of Iron Man?

Downey: Ever. [laughs] It's such a big leap, before we were grounded in reality and now we're starting to go into the Marvel Universe. I don't know much about this, I just know that we go scene to scene to scene, and we have some great scenes which I think will be really surprising at how we took all of this goodwill and this success and we decided to do something ever more kind of risky and something that represents the way Jon thinks and the way I like to develop a character. So, it's going to be good.

Have other heroes been mentioned about making an appearance? Captain America? Thor?

Downey: I can neither confirm nor deny that. [That always means yes to me. -Ed] Honestly, nothing's set in stone right now.

So that was all I could get from him. The way he answered the question about Thor and Captain America and the look he gave me, was an indication (to me anyway), that something is more than likely in the works as far as cameos. Especially bringing up the fact that they are now moving more into Marvel Universe territory. Sounds exciting!

Discuss below or yell at this guy: [email protected]

the-avengers-movie.jpg

Downey, Jr. talks more Iron Man 2

Very interesting Mike, thanks for posting that info.

I saw Iron Man for the 2nd time last night and it easily remains the most enjoyable film I've seen this year. Granted, I've only seen a handful (Spiderwick Chronicles, Prince Caspian, Hulk, Dark Knight, and Indiana Jones), but for sheer enjoyment and fun, Iron Man wins hands down.

Where is that pic from at the top of your post? Interesting renditions of the Big Three.

Where is that pic from at the top of your post? Interesting renditions of the Big Three.

The image is from Bam Pakow, the website I got the story from, its just an artist interpretation of what they'd look like no official connection to the films or Marvel Studios

Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man Sequels
Source: RazorHawk
August 15, 2008

Iron Man and Tropic Thunder star Robert Downey Jr. visited "Live with Regis and Kelly" this morning to promote the latter, but he was asked by Regis Philbin about Iron Man 2.

Downey Jr. would only confirm that it is happening and said he thought they would end up making a trilogy of it. He did, however, hint that he was willing to make more films beyond a trilogy!

Downey Jr. will soon start filming the Guy Ritchie-directed Sherlock Holmes and will then shoot Iron Man 2 for an April 30, 2010 release.

Favreau Gets to Work on Iron Man 2
Source: Los Angeles Times
August 21, 2008

The Los Angeles Times talked to Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau, who says they have started working on the sequel:

I just talked to Jon Favreau a bit ago, and he said that while there hasn't been an formal announcement on the sequel to "Iron Man," he's begun developing it. "We're working on it now," he said, "which hasn't been officially announced. It will be released in 2010."

Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures are targeting an April 30, 2010 release date in order to be the first film to kick-off that summer, much like Iron Man did on May 2nd of this year.

Justin Theroux (Tropic Thunder) is writing the script and in addition to Robert Downey Jr., the first film's co-stars Gwyneth Paltrow and Terrence Howard are expected to return as well.

Damn, Downey is gonna be raking in the bucks! First IM, then Tropic Thunder, and he's filming Sherlock Homes (which I hope is ridiculously awesome!!) and now IM2!! Ballin'!

The original announcement by Kevin Feige was that Iron Man 2 was supposed to introduce Thor in some fashion to help segway into his own individual film. Whether or not that is still the case we'll have to wait and see what Theroux (Tropic Thunder) and Downey put together...also if Thor isn't casted by shoot time he may not be able to be in the film...they want the same actors to span all films.

The Avengers was already slated for a 2011 release....if Marvel keeps to that schedule look for many of the actors to go right into that film after IM2 wraps.

Avengers is nothing without Wasp and Giant Man. When are we going to see a movie of those guys? Where is the Thor movie? Captain America ? 2011 is just around the corner.

Iron Man 2 and Thor originally announced to 2010 and Captain America and Avengers were originally announced for 2011. Ant Man's film is still in limbo but he was planned to be included in the Avengers so there is Pym. I'm guessing that the Marvel Studios execs feel that she couldn't carry a film on her own so she'll probably be introduced in The Avengers film.

Back