Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Mark IV Limited Edition Collectible Figurine (Secret Project)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I am against what we call locally, "action figure scalpers". These are the people who try to buy all the rare action figures and then eBay them, and keep others from getting the figure that they want. At almost all the larger chains in my area (Target, Walmart, TRU, etc) at opening time the hardcore scalpers will be waiting at opening time just to get in and savage the shelves. We know most of them by nicknames at this point. I have seen one clean on over $2,000 in brand new released Walmart Exlusive DC Universe Classic action figures. These people pay employees to get inside information as to when they are hitting the pegs, so they have all the advantages.

We got so pissed off with this happening that we decided to form a group of collectors who would try to beat the scalpers at their game and get action figures for our fellow members AT COST. So if I am able to find the uber rare GI Joe with Kung-Fu grip for another member I buy it and sell it to him a cost. We keep our group private and only let others join with a reference. We have maybe 30 members locally.

I personally think that people who flip action figures are hurting the hobby. It prices action figures out of the range that many can afford, and thus many give up the hobby. Sure, you might make a profit here or there, but the only one who is really making great money from this is eBay and Paypal.

Do whatever you want to do with your action figures. But keep in mind how there will be others who weren't able to get the action figure because of you. And remember how it would feel if you were on the other end.

Wow same thing used to happen to me when I worked at this store called Media Play back in the day...We sold Mcfarlane action figures and I used to buy all of the rare ones to collect...(Still have them to this day) and this guy used to come in every day we got a truck and snag the rare ones to re-sell em on ebay (he told me this). The thing is when I started working there he noticed all of the 'rare' ones weren't being put on the shelves anymore and then one day called me out lol. Too bad for him they are now in the hands of a collector :yess:

Wow same thing used to happen to me when I worked at this store called Media Play back in the day...We sold Mcfarlane action figures and I used to buy all of the rare ones to collect...(Still have them to this day) and this guy used to come in every day we got a truck and snag the rare ones to re-sell em on ebay (he told me this). The thing is when I started working there he noticed all of the 'rare' ones weren't being put on the shelves anymore and then one day called me out lol. Too bad for him they are now in the hands of a collector :yess:

Way to go :clap And speaking of McF, I hate how they started announcing the variants right on the packing of their SPs,and numbered their bases. It was freaking scalper bait. And how they started repacking old variants. I had some I paid pretty nicely for, and it destroyed their value. And let's not forget how pathetic it became with reusing the same sculpts over and over again. Pretty bad when they have Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward in the same pose.

Needless to say, I sold all of that stuff and used that to start me off on my 1/6 and larger collection. Glad I did.

Way to go :clap And speaking of McF, I hate how they started announcing the variants right on the packing of their SPs,and numbered their bases. It was freaking scalper bait. And how they started repacking old variants. I had some I paid pretty nicely for, and it destroyed their value. And let's not forget how pathetic it became with reusing the same sculpts over and over again. Pretty bad when they have Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward in the same pose.

Needless to say, I sold all of that stuff and used that to start me off on my 1/6 and larger collection. Glad I did.

Oh Wow...I had no idea they even DID that now...I stopped collecting Mcfarlane after I quit that awful place. Honestly the only great thing was getting 40% off of the figures and having first dibs. Some of my first great ones were Barry bonds in a Pirate Uniform and Jerry Rice in 49er uniform, also a bunch of rare spawns, the entire first collection of the Matrix and some rare hockey ones as well.

But yea that does take a lot of fun out of collecting, why would they list the variants?? I only figured it out because I saw the packaging and was like 'wait, Barry bonds isn't supposed to be in a pirates uniform', so I took him home and did my research and started finding out the whole deal with the variants.

But yea now I'm onto collecting 1/4 and 1/6 and its much more rewarding looking at these every day than some small figures in a plastic shell.

I bet over half of these were purchased with the intent to resell them.

I think I mentioned this before. There should be a sticky named "The ethics of flipping" or "Scalping Do's and Don'ts" so people can have this discussion on a regular basis when stuff like this "limited" IM release comes out.

This thread has pretty much become a repeat of what happened when Gort was released.

If you mean the Mark III GM version Yankee that was from SDCC 2009. I wish I had known about it then too because I def would have gotten it...
You aren't the only one...I actually had it preordered for attendee and decided last minute to pass because I thought it was lame. :slap

Personally I am against what we call locally, "action figure scalpers". These are the people who try to buy all the rare action figures and then eBay them, and keep others from getting the figure that they want. At almost all the larger chains in my area (Target, Walmart, TRU, etc) at opening time the hardcore scalpers will be waiting at opening time just to get in and savage the shelves. We know most of them by nicknames at this point. I have seen one clean on over $2,000 in brand new released Walmart Exlusive DC Universe Classic action figures. These people pay employees to get inside information as to when they are hitting the pegs, so they have all the advantages.
I live in a densly populated area in Southern California...the 'rare' action figures are impossible to find here. I asked one of the girls at Walmart and she said that a guy bought both cases of the Marvel Universe giant exclusives. 90% of the time, if my son wants the cool character or store exclusives, I have to go to eBay or Hasbrotoyshop. We found several rare 25th GI Joes at Rite-Aid a few years ago, but shelf hunting is pointless.

I know it is hypocritical since I flip HT/Sideshow items myself, but I see a difference between scalping action figures off the shelves and flipping preorders. Maybe because I am able to get online preorders yet my son never gets to get the figures he wants off the shelf.

I think I mentioned this before. There should be a sticky named "The ethics of flipping" or "Scalping Do's and Don'ts" so people can have this discussion on a regular basis when stuff like this "limited" IM release comes out.

This thread has pretty much become a repeat of what happened when Gort was released.

Same thing with 1/5 vs 1/4 and grail or not. It's the way it is.

We got so pissed off with this happening that we decided to form a group of collectors who would try to beat the scalpers at their game and get action figures for our fellow members AT COST. So if I am able to find the uber rare GI Joe with Kung-Fu grip for another member I buy it and sell it to him a cost. We keep our group private and only let others join with a reference. We have maybe 30 members locally.

I personally think that people who flip action figures are hurting the hobby. It prices action figures out of the range that many can afford, and thus many give up the hobby. Sure, you might make a profit here or there, but the only one who is really making great money from this is eBay and Paypal.

Do whatever you want to do with your action figures. But keep in mind how there will be others who weren't able to get the action figure because of you. And remember how it would feel if you were on the other end.

GREAT POST. It's unfortunate that a figure like this has already hit ebay at $400+. Some people see this as a business and it hurts the true collector looking to get a figure they really want to keep and display proudly. Many of us collect for the love of a movie, comic, etc...but when does enough become enough. It's crazy that some of these figures are starting out at over $200+ when the hit shelves new...now we have to deal with the aftermarket and the insane and sometime over inflated prices. I guess you have to get in early on every figure you want or run the risk of waiting and paying more later.

Anyone who missed out, just calm down and wait for it to be released. This price may come down for a while. People shouldn't be preordering off ebay anyway.

what's a better system? Need based? Lottery? Those with fewer figures get priority? Those who collect only 1/6 get priority? This is a part of that economic system of freedom we love so much called capitalism.

I had this in my cart ready for check out and couldn't pull the trigger. I realized I was buying this figure purely for the "collectible" factor and not because I wanted a grey Iron Man. I'd much rather save the $$ and pick up the Mark VI somewhere down the line. I realize I could have bought it and sold it to put together the funds to get the Mark VI but I didn't want to take the figure from someone who genuinely wanted one. Here's hoping a fellow collector got it and not someone looking for a profit.

I just feel that if its a con exclusive then sell them for attendees, then leftovers be sold to everyone else. There is people who go to cons buy exclusives to sell, but atleast they had to actually attend the con and not sit behind two computers and a mobile phone to get multiples. I just think there was way more sold Friday than Thursday, which is backwards to me.

...and a repeat of many other threads for (presumed) very limited items here. There's been complaining about scalping for years and years, here and on other boards.
Personally, I don't like scalping, but I also think that when someone buys something, he can do with it what ever he wants.

Still, a sticky for discussing ethics and practices of scalping is an excellent idea, and can be a real eye-opener. I had no idea about people going to the shop, buying complete collections to resell on ebay... .

I had this in my cart ready for check out and couldn't pull the trigger. I realized I was buying this figure purely for the "collectible" factor and not because I wanted a grey Iron Man. I'd much rather save the $$ and pick up the Mark VI somewhere down the line. I realize I could have bought it and sold it to put together the funds to get the Mark VI but I didn't want to take the figure from someone who genuinely wanted one. Here's hoping a fellow collector got it and not someone looking for a profit.

CLAPPING_GIF_RE_OK_PEOPLE_I_NEED_YOU_HELP-s300x225-49282.gif

Bravo. A true collector here

Genuine good guy right here!!!!!

Awesome !

I just feel that if its a con exclusive then sell them for attendees, then leftovers be sold to everyone else. There is people who go to cons buy exclusives to sell, but atleast they had to actually attend the con and not sit behind two computers and a mobile phone to get multiples. I just think there was way more sold Friday than Thursday, which is backwards to me.

I'm not defending it but then you leave out all the people who live far away from a con or don't have the means to get to one...

Just sayin'

I'm not defending it but then you leave out all the people who live far away from a con or don't have the means to get to one...

Just sayin'

I hear you, but it is a con exclusive, and should be available first for attendees, not the other way around. Otherwise don't even call it a SDCC ex and just say its a bonus figure for the year.

Some people post 'I got multiples ordered' just to provoke a reaction from those who weren't lucky enough to get 1 order in.

They are not worth it peeps, just ignore them and if someone directly insults/harrasses you, report the post.
x :peace

:clap:clap:goodpost:

Agreed, It's sad these "adults" and I use that term loosely, have nothing better to do than provoke people on the internet....:lol

Back