Investing In Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never invest in any of this. I collect both 1/6 and some statues but I really have no plans to ever sell. I buy what i really enjoy and feel i might still enjoy in 20 years. If i do ever decide to sell some or all of my collection and end up selling for a lot less than what i paid, I won't mind that much because i will have enjoyed my collection enough to make up for it.

Amen! I have a few pieces for (Heidi Girl of The Alps) anime that came as a happy meal toys in Japan that I bought for around $100, I am sure that if I was thinking about "investing" I would have never bought.

The hobby of collecting IMO is having a piece of memory in a physical form, buying collectibles because "someone else" will like them more in future and buy them from you for more money is a business not a hobby.

I made some money with most of the statues that I sold on ebay. I am happy with those results considering the ebay's fees. However, I won't buy a statue with the intention of making it an investment. I buy a statue because I consider it as a work of art that I appreciate and want to display. I sell them to make room for other statues or if they don't fit with the rest of my display.

The nice thing IMO about this hobby is that when the time comes to sell a statue, I see myself getting most of my money back (assuming I sell at a loss) or making a little money. This is a lot better (financially) compared to other hobbies. For example, if I am into photography as a hobby, I will probably be losing money if I keep buying new cameras since old cameras don't appreciate in value. I am not saying that photography is not a worthwhile pastime; my point is that hobbies are things that we do because we enjoy them and making money should only be a bonus.

Back