Investing In Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secunda

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm just stepping into the world of collectibles and just wondering, beside that they looking great in shelves, do you think if collectibles are worth in investment purposes?

Is there any noticeable increase in the value of some discontinued statues / figures? I know that for example some star wars collectible collectibles from 70s are worth a lot of money nowadays but what about say 1-5 old art from Sideshow?

I have tried to find posts or articles about this but havent succeeded.

Many thanks!

Investing in... tee hee.... um... Colectibles? ummmm

You're kidding right? :lol

These things (with few exceptions) hover at MSRP and then depreciate.

Investing in... tee hee.... um... Colectibles? ummmm

You're kidding right? :lol

These things (with few exceptions) hover at MSRP and then depreciate.

i have cleared out most of my sideshow premium formats and from strategic ordering, i have made money on every single one sold. you just have to know what to buy and be willing to sit on it to give a chance for the value to rise. only pieces i have broke even or lost money on were bowen designs stuff, but there are still plenty bowens that i've made money on too.

It's hard to figure out which is going to be worth it as an investment, the big issue with a lot of things is that as soon as a better version comes out the value of the old one usually ends up lower than it originally cost. Like what's happened with a lot of Hot Toys stuff.

The only statuary that is worth investing in would be bronze/stone and the older the better. Polystone, resin, plastic, mixed media etc etc... not so much. Wait another 20 years and see what happens.

In a word, NO.

In two words, HELL NO.

Collect for the enjoyment, but don't go in expecting wild profit. Just because you can conceivably make money on certain pieces if you buy just the right ones, and then sell them again at just the right time, that doesn't mean you will, or that trying to do so is in any way a predictable and reliable undertaking. Honestly, you'd probably have more luck following the underpants gnomes' financial strategy than relying on collectible profits. And they still don't know what 'phase 2' actually is...

Seriously, if you are looking for an investment, I strongly advise that you look somewhere else.

If you're looking for enjoyment (possibly with a side order of imminent financial devastation... :p) then collecting statues can be quite enjoyable.

If you want to lose money then this is the way to go. Sure the early ones go for some money. All the latest statues you will be lucky to not lose money. The reason is way too high ES, price hikes, taxes coming soon, time and materials to pack, breakage will take months to solve. Or the buyers will file a claim and you get stick with the broken statue now which is worth half of what you paid for, space taken up in your place for years, then if you move you will be screwed, and so on....... But it's your money so do what you wish in the end. We can't tell you how to spend your money.

In a word, NO.

In two words, HELL NO.

Collect for the enjoyment, but don't go in expecting wild profit. Just because you can conceivably make money on certain pieces if you buy just the right ones, and then sell them again at just the right time, that doesn't mean you will, or that trying to do so is in any way a predictable and reliable undertaking. Honestly, you'd probably have more luck following the underpants gnomes' financial strategy than relying on collectible profits. And they still don't know what 'phase 2' actually is...

Seriously, if you are looking for an investment, I strongly advise that you look somewhere else.

If you're looking for enjoyment (possibly with a side order of imminent financial devastation... :p) then collecting statues can be quite enjoyable.

:exactly::goodpost:

Bad idea. Unless of course you collect only convention and limited edition pieces (when I say limited, I mean limited such as movie promo or something limited that doesn't have a regular version of the same item) Most times, collectors end up losing money when selling. Specially if you are collecting imports, due to the shipping costs of EMS.

...Honestly, you'd probably have more luck following the underpants gnomes' financial strategy than relying on collectible profits. And they still don't know what 'phase 2' actually is...

:hi5:

..sounds like most merchant bankers.. and all politicians... Go Underpants Gnomes!
I agree that Collectibles are a fun hobby, that sometimes pays off financially.. but for the OP, considered as part of an investment portfolio, not so much.

All 'collectibles' can go down in price, as well as up.. and you will not receive your Pre-order, if you fail to keep up the payments

No but seriously guys our Collectibles will be worth something we"ll be old but they will be worth money, our kids will enjoy that money

This conversation pops up every couple of months without fail, but this is the very first time I've heard people suggest that statues and figures are not solid investments and should be collected just for enjoyment. I suspect people here are trying to influence the market for a run on figures and flip them for a huge profit. Very clever guys, very clever :wink1:

They certainly shouldn't be seen as an investment BUT unlike most hobbies/things people spend money on they DO tend to hold up in the market pretty strongly. Obviously, the value of some skyrocket but I think this is more an exception and a little unpredictable (eg Darth Talon since she's such a minor character in the SW franchise).

Paying shipping on one end and then ebay/paypal fees on the other, means the appreciation has to be huge to make it worthwhile.

Investing is just what we tell ourselves to justify buying whatever we feel like.

Man I can't wait to invest in Legendary Scale Indiana Jones.

Last edited:
Simply put - If you go into this hobby looking to turn a profit repeatedly or eke out a living, you will be astoundingly disappointed.

Back