Interest?Hot Toys DX 08 Custom Hat thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd prefer a sculpted or printed hat.

Yep.

Was looking closer at the HT hat. It seems to be made of a thin clear plastic with the "felt" kind of stuck to it. Almost as if the plastic had been sticky and the purple particles were blown onto it. Go check it out on your hats.

You can see right through it:

IMG_6814.jpg

The inside of the crown is obviously clear, but there are spots on the underside of mine where the "felt" was sprayed on a little light and you can make out the clear plastic underneath:

IMG_6818-1.jpg

Seems like a pretty good method. I mean the results in terms of texture are fantastic. It would be awesome if someone could replicate this exact technique with a correct sized brim.

Yep.

Was looking closer at the HT hat. It seems to be made of a thin clear plastic with the "felt" kind of stuck to it. Almost as if the plastic had been sticky and the purple particles were blown onto it. Go check it out on your hats.

You can see right through it:

IMG_6814.jpg

The inside of the crown is obviously clear, but there are spots on the underside of mine where the "felt" was sprayed on a little light and you can make out the clear plastic underneath:

IMG_6818-1.jpg

Seems like a pretty good method. I mean the results in terms of texture are fantastic. It would be awesome if someone could replicate this exact technique with a correct sized brim.

That's called flocking. Seen it done for upholstery on model cars.

theirs two things wrong with the hat. the brim has to be a smidge wider and the ribbon on the hat needs to be a smidge higher.

Looks damn close to me.

For the most part, the HT hat seems pretty nice. I'm curious if there is a way to reverse-engineer the flocking. If someone could remove that flocked stuff somehow, then all they would have to do is use the pre-existing Hot Toys hat, sculpt a wider brim, cast it, re-flock the copies, and done.

For the most part, the HT hat seems pretty nice. I'm curious if there is a way to reverse-engineer the flocking. If someone could remove that flocked stuff somehow, then all they would have to do is use the pre-existing Hot Toys hat, sculpt a wider brim, cast it, re-flock the copies, and done.

:goodpost:

There are a lot of people who reflock vintage gi joe heads, so I bet if you find one on the eBay sellers who reflock gi joe heads, you could probably work out a deal with them to do hats

If we can get it flocked, why not get it flocked? What the flock!?! It doesn't make any flocking sense to do everything right and not have it flocked. :lol

Not a fan of flocking in this instance. Too fuzzy for scale IMO. Then again, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose to a more accurate and well done hat that was flocked.

Not a fan of flocking in this instance. Too fuzzy for scale IMO. Then again, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose to a more accurate and well done hat that was flocked.

What about the flocking on the Hot Toys hat? :huh

Back