Interest?Hot Toys DX 08 Custom Hat thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the Hot Toys had is treated with flocking:

Yep.

Was looking closer at the HT hat. It seems to be made of a thin clear plastic with the "felt" kind of stuck to it. Almost as if the plastic had been sticky and the purple particles were blown onto it. Go check it out on your hats.

You can see right through it:

IMG_6814.jpg

The inside of the crown is obviously clear, but there are spots on the underside of mine where the "felt" was sprayed on a little light and you can make out the clear plastic underneath:

IMG_6818-1.jpg

Seems like a pretty good method. I mean the results in terms of texture are fantastic. It would be awesome if someone could replicate this exact technique with a correct sized brim.

That's called flocking. Seen it done for upholstery on model cars.

Yeah, flocking... I knew that. Well someone get on it! :lecture :lol

Sí, Señor. The Hot Toys hat is flocked. On the bright side, it seems to be made well enough that it will be a good placeholder until a more accurate hat is made. My Joker arrives tomorrow. I'm so pumped!!!

Now that I've bent the front edge of the HT hat down, I'm liking it more.

Out of the box, the hat looks kinda like this:

boater_MED.jpg

Adding a bend to the front makes it a little more like this:

1_136853_FS_BLK.jpg

There's no way to make the brim wider, but the bend really does help a lot.

IMG_6862crop.jpg

^that's a great pic Mag. that actually makes me wish i had the $$$ to get it

Nope. No physical sculpt. Like I said it's a virtual sculpt. :lecture

It's made in a 3D program. The file of the virtual sculpt is sent to the 3D "printer" - the "print" is the actual head sculpt you stick on your figure. I assume the printer could produce them in any scale. But of course we are dealing with 1/6.

nope...see below :wink1:

Holy ____!! That's amazing. Christ, I bet those heads are expensive,huh?

3D Printing is expensive. we have a 3D printer in the architecture workshop at school. you pay per cubic inch of the power that is used for what is being printer. we normally try to make our prints as hollow as possible to reduce cost

I think they print a mold, not each individual copy of the sculpt.

you print the actual sculpt then go through normal molding processes to make the mold that will eventually be used to make the casts just like everyone else does for their sculpts done by hand/clay/wax/ etc.

Not bad actually.

Could be. All I know is that the one head I have from them (WGP) is nice and sharp.

see above :wink1:

I just Won a Second Sculpt off of ebay and want to start putting together a Museum Joker. I'm going to make a beret would anyone be interested in a beret as well? as you can see with my attempt at this hat I can sew well and i think this beret since its all fabric will be a piece of cake for me...

Look at these fabrics if you are interested and lmk which you think matches the color the best. I am color blind so regardless i would like your guys opinion even if i only make it for myself.

Heres the Reference Photo:
https://screenmusings.org/Batman/pages/Btmn_0561.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silk-DUPIO...pt=US_Fabric&hash=item58940c71bf#ht_580wt_655

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Silk-S...t=US_Fabric&hash=item5893f1abe8#ht_2867wt_965

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLID-SATI...t=US_Fabric&hash=item337502fe2d#ht_3180wt_882

I also plan to make the tie in this scene, can anyone tell me what color and material they think its made of?

To me it looks green? or a different shade of purple? and a satin or silk as well but with less sheen

The tie from the museum is not purple. It's basically the same turquoise/ teal color as the waistcoat. In some shots it appears darker, but that might just be lighting...or it really is just a shade or so darker. No idea what material it's made of, but I would think a silky material with less sheen than satin would be appropriate.

Seems like we might be getting used to the stock hat... What are your thoughts?

Seems like we might be getting used to the stock hat... What are your thoughts?

I gotta admit I'm not pushing for the custom like I once was, so, yeah, I guess I am getting used to it.That's not to say I wouldn't interested in buying one if something popped up.Hey, and who know, maybe if/when someone does make a custom it will show us how much we really do want it.

Indeed. Have you tried bending the brim in the front a bit? That's what sold me on the stock hat more than anything.

I think that this thread was sorely lacking in organization, and it seems like only a few people were actually interested. Everybody wanted an interest thread started, so I gave them one; I never said it'd go anywhere. :lol

Maybe a poll would've helped and maybe of this was in the Customs Works section. I don't think there are many ppl who visit the DC Customs section

I think that this thread was sorely lacking in organization, and it seems like only a few people were actually interested. Everybody wanted an interest thread started, so I gave them one; I never said it'd go anywhere. :lol

That reminds me of the line in TDK 'I told you my compound would take you places, I never said they'd be places you wanted to go'

Back