Interest?Hot Toys DX 08 Custom Hat thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with my experience making puppets and costumes for them, i may be able to come up with something once i get home this sunday. I'm thinking using some sturdy paper, sculpting it to be the brim and crown of the hat and then laying fabric over it.

I looked at Coco's previous hats, and honestly, the only issue I see is that the crowns are a little too wide, but they look pretty great from what I've seen.

Yeah, I agree. The crown needs to be smaller. I was able to reduce it a little bit on later versions but not much. I'm thinking that flatening the treated felt with a rolling pin will allow the crown to be smaller. Something I have never tried yet.

I would also liked to have seen a slight inward slant from brim to top but again, something I didn't try. If I ever have time again I may give it a go.

with my experience making puppets and costumes for them, i may be able to come up with something once i get home this sunday. I'm thinking using some sturdy paper, sculpting it to be the brim and crown of the hat and then laying fabric over it.

That actually sound like a good idea. I'd really like to see that. Keep us updated. You know I thought we'd have more people

Yeah, I agree. The crown needs to be smaller. I was able to reduce it a little bit on later versions but not much. I'm thinking that flatening the treated felt with a rolling pin will allow the crown to be smaller. Something I have never tried yet.

I would also liked to have seen a slight inward slant from brim to top but again, something I didn't try. If I ever have time again I may give it a go.

I'd like to see yours too.

picture.php

There they are. Thanks, Mags. I made them oblong to fit the bilikin head better. Looking at it head on it appeared narrower.

Those actually look cool Coco. Do you have the new Joker? If you could plop one on him to give us a look if you get the chance.

Thanks! Believe it or not I don't have a single one left. They all sold and the one that was on my custom went with it when I sold it on ebay.

For what it's worth (and no offense to Coco), I think the HT hat is better than his custom. Part of the problem with the Hot Toys hat is that the crown is too big. The crown is even wider on Coco's. That said, the brim is a more accurate width on yours Coco.

There are 2 problems with Hot Toys hat:

1) The brim is too small.
2) The crown is too big.

The brim, there is no excuse for. And existing sculpted hats have shown that it's possible to make a removable hat with a reasonably sized crown.

I actually like the HT hat too. I have no problem with the crown but I would have liked the brim to be a bit wider.

I agree. My custom's crown is too big due to the thickness of the felt used. Reduce it and you reduce the crown. Enough to make it look much better? I don't know but it's worth a shot.

I'd be interested in a hat, but only for a decent, fair price, as this would be an accessory to my Hot Toys figure - and the figure is the showcase, not the hat.

No reason a hat should cost more than around $25 if we all order a bunch at once.

^ That's even if we can get it off the ground. We can't find anyone to do it. I hope this doesn't suffer the same fate as the Terminator 1 Gargoyle sunglasses thread.

Back