Interest?Hot Toys DX 08 Custom Hat thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I feel like the Hot Toys hat has too much texture to it, too, so...yeah. And those hats look huge on your cowboys there.

The point being, however, that people want the hat to be accurate. StevO does some great quality hats, but one could argue that the HT hat is well-made, but inaccurate, and so would StevO's(purely material wise) . It definitely seems more like an actual fabric hat to me, judging by the pictures. .

But how well does that translate to 1/6th,and also, it seems like Jack's hat lacks the stiffness in the brim associated with felt hats, it seemed almost fedora like.

But how well does that translate to 1/6th,and also, it seems like Jack's hat lacks the stiffness in the brim associated with felt hats, it seemed almost fedora like.

Steton's also make Fedoras. They are all made from felt unless there straw hats. Indiana Jones hat is made from Beaver felt as well.

Well, I don't think anyone here wants to pay for beaver (yeah, I said that), and any felt would make a pretty fuzzy hat in 1/6. If I wanted one for my head instead of little Jack's, it'd be a different story.

Again, it doesn't seem like that translates as well to 1/6th. Those hats seem kind of oversized, as Stewie said, and very coarse, where, if it was felt, Jack's actual hat was so fine that it seemed like fabric.

Yeah, I don't think the hat Jack wore was felt at all.

It was a stiffened milliners felt. But not the fuzzy affair that you have in your minds eye when you say 'felt'.

One of my friends in the industry used to know the person who made the original hat for the movie.

How about having them vac formed or would that end up being too shiny?

Well, I don't think anyone here wants to pay for beaver (yeah, I said that), and any felt would make a pretty fuzzy hat in 1/6. If I wanted one for my head instead of little Jack's, it'd be a different story.

Again, it doesn't seem like that translates as well to 1/6th. Those hats seem kind of oversized, as Stewie said, and very coarse, where, if it was felt, Jack's actual hat was so fine that it seemed like fabric.

I agree.

We need to find a customizer. Someone known on the board to do good work. Creative folk usually think outside the box and have good ideas.

This. The texture of the felt/fur is not what I want in 1/6.

I'm actually thinking that a simple sculpted hat would be the way to go.

This. The texture of the felt/fur is not what I want in 1/6.

I'm actually thinking that a simple sculpted hat would be the way to go.

That or have them vac formed? I have a copy of Jacks hat struck from the hat block that was made for the movie version and so It should be failry easy to get the proper proportions right.

That or have them vac formed? I have a copy of Jacks hat struck from the hat block that was made for the movie version and so It should be failry easy to get the proper proportions right.

Do you know of anyone who could do this?

Well If nobody else wants to I could have a go at sculpting a former, and I know a friend who'd probably be willing to form them up for me.

Thing is like me he's in the UK.

Would it be possible to do a vac-formed plastic hat, but then, potentially, drape it in some sort of fabric to give it a bit of a realistic touch?

I think that might not work so well at that scale, especially when it comes to the brims edge.

What about just the top of the hat(I.e. the crown and the top half of the brim) with fabric and a fabric band?

Or would it be possible to vac-form the crown, but form the brim with fabric and sew the vac-formed crown into the fabric?

Back