Indy 5 on the way?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story, mfisher! And well put. It was the summer before 6th Grade for me and I was completely blown away by TOD. Raiders was already my favourite movie, even topping the SW movies. So when a new Indy movie came out, I was on cloud 9. I remember finding out about it through my subscription to Bantha Tracks, the SW fanclub newsletter. The movie was spectacular. Yes, Willie was annoying, and yes I even found Short Round a little annoying. Even at 11 years old I could see Shorty being a gimmick to have young people in the audience have someone to relate to in the movie. Raiders didn't need it, so why did TOD?

But as I grew up, TOD has lost a little luster. It's still a fantastic movie, and a worthy companion to Raiders, but IMO it's not as solid and strong as Raiders. It's slightly diminished as a mere, but great, thrill-a-minute rollercoaster ride. I love how it tried to do something different than Raiders--from the darker tone to the different type of quest. I love watching it and it really takes me back to being 11 years old. On the other hand, seeing it as an adult has helped me pick up on other things, like Indy's character arc--going from a cocky, swaggering grave robber to realizing the treasures he seeks have a real importance to the culture to which they belong. It's not just about fortune and glory, it's about how saving these treasures can change lives.

I consider Raiders to transcend a regular action/adventure movie. It feels more like an epic film where the characters are serving a higher purpose to the story, that it's not just about Indy, or Marion or Belloq. It's truly a quest for the Ark of the Covenant where world domination by the Nazis is at stake.

And you all know what a disappointment I found LC to be.

I think Saller should have taken Macs place in Skull, never really liked that character not a worthy side kick. I think Indy 5 would be great if they brought Saller and maybe short round back and his dad.

One way they could bring connery back have like a flash back scene at the begining of Indy 5, set a few years before Crystal Skull, and have Indy and his dad on som kind of adventure showing how he died then come back to precent, and then have his father come back someway. But i cant see Sean wanting to act again not even for this.

How about still in 50's, have some great treasure to find in the Philippines and unbeknown to Indy. Treasure on Secret Nazi Submarine Base. That still has Nazis who believe WWII is still going on?

Really I was sick of the Russian thing, so why not some Nazis for the last Indy (Hopefully).

yes the nazis are much better bad guys, the Russians. Or maybe bring those bad guys back who were in the begining of Temple. I always thought Indy 4 was going to be Atlantis, when I saw the Crysta skull title i was a bit WTF.

Harrison is 70 this year, so they need to start production this year really. But they probably wont start making it till like 2014. :impatient:

Really? HF at 71 or 72 playing the whip cracking bare fisted battler Indy Jones??? Talk about a real stretch...I don't think it's going to happen.

Really? HF at 71 or 72 playing the whip cracking bare fisted battler Indy Jones??? Talk about a real stretch...I don't think it's going to happen.

Geezer Ford as Indy > young ****** trying to fill Ford's shoes that nobody's going to accept because like it or not, Harrison IS Indy. Too much of the character is defined by Ford's own personality traits to work with anybody else and not seem like a cheap comedian's impression of Ford. Hell, when Ford get's too old physically, I'd be more than content with Lucas looking into animation like SW:TCW.

For the love of all that is good PLEASE don't make anymore Indiana Jones movies. That's what most of us would say to Lucas if we could but even then he would never listen. Sigh...

I think the age of Ford does not have to be an issue though... look at how Clint Eastwood was still tough as nails in his film Gran Torino ... you don't necessarily have to have the character roll around in the dirt fist fighting to make him hard and believable in terms of toughness... hell, I think one of the toughest things Indy ever did was gun down the Cairo swordsman in Raiders... bring back the edgy, steely nerved aspect of the character established in Raiders and ditch the tongue in cheek, I'm not going to shoot any bad guys aspect they developed in the later films.. As for location and bad guys.. Nazis just make the perfect villain.. they just do... set the story in the 50's down in South America, where many war criminals fled from Germany after WW2.. there could be somewhat of a "cult" of Nazi ex-patriots hiding out that were holding on to some kind of substantial trove of religious artifacts plundered during the war.. or perhaps in a race to recover some kind of mystical artifact in that region and they believe it will help them re-establish power over the world... Indy could once again squash the Nazis, thereby saving the world and put that particular group of villains to death, once and for all.. and simulataneously it allows the hero to fade out in a final triumph over the epitome of evil.... just a thought Lucas... are you listening ?? :)

I think the age of Ford does not have to be an issue though... look at how Clint Eastwood was still tough as nails in his film Gran Torino ... you don't necessarily have to have the character roll around in the dirt fist fighting to make him hard and believable in terms of toughness... hell, I think one of the toughest things Indy ever did was gun down the Cairo swordsman in Raiders... bring back the edgy, steely nerved aspect of the character established in Raiders and ditch the tongue in cheek, I'm not going to shoot any bad guys aspect they developed in the later films.. As for location and bad guys.. Nazis just make the perfect villain.. they just do... set the story in the 50's down in South America, where many war criminals fled from Germany after WW2.. there could be somewhat of a "cult" of Nazi ex-patriots hiding out that were holding on to some kind of substantial trove of religious artifacts plundered during the war.. or perhaps in a race to recover some kind of mystical artifact in that region and they believe it will help them re-establish power over the world... Indy could once again squash the Nazis, thereby saving the world and put that particular group of villains to death, once and for all.. and simulataneously it allows the hero to fade out in a final triumph over the epitome of evil.... just a thought Lucas... are you listening ?? :)

:clap:clap:goodpost:

I agee its not a age thing with Harrison, no matter how old he gets he will always have that great face. I want one last great adventure, make it great like the other 3. gets nazis and all the old gang back. I think he needs to go after something big again though like the Grail, and Ark, going after a skull wasnt great. Make it Atlantis or maybe King Arthur's sword?

I agee its not a age thing with Harrison, no matter how old he gets he will always have that great face. I want one last great adventure, make it great like the other 3. gets nazis and all the old gang back. I think he needs to go after something big again though like the Grail, and Ark, going after a skull wasnt great. Make it Atlantis or maybe King Arthur's sword?

The skulls weren't the issue. It was the inter-dimensional aspect that ruined it. :lol

And after such a long wait Indy should have had a better introduction to the film. like when we first see him in Raiders with the whip, instead they just have him pulled out the back of car. Not very cool.:slap

Yeah.. probably would have liked 4 a lot better if it didn't have aliens... or LeDouche swinging in the forest.

And after such a long wait Indy should have had a better introduction to the film. like when we first see him in Raiders with the whip, instead they just have him pulled out the back of car. Not very cool.:slap

i felt the opening of 4 was more like a parody. Spielberg and Lucas were playing on our expectations with the lack of great intro for the paramount mountain (mole hill) and indy being thrown out of the car.

"you know how many medals this SOB won?"
"We were double agents spying on the Reds"

I found Indy’s past history in the army unrelatable. This is the forth picture I thought he was a archeologist not James Bond!!!
In a way I felt cheated as to the thought of “Where was I?” during this time....

I have no problem believing Indy would have a natural talent for Intelligence work, and Indy seems like the kind of guy who would serve his country at some point. But I agree it felt like we missed out on the better story. They teased this interesting section of Indy's life and now let's go tell a mundane psudo-scifi story.

i felt the opening of 4 was more like a parody. Spielberg and Lucas were playing on our expectations with the lack of great intro for the paramount mountain (mole hill) and indy being thrown out of the car.

Watched Raiders last night, it should have had a great intro like Raiders, we dont see Indy for like 20 years and thats the best intro they come up with? The introduction to Indy in Raiders is superb. I think it should have been set in the late 40s, they missed out on a lot really.

Back