Indy 12'' line on ''pause.'' OR The Future of the Sideshow 12" INDY Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know about anyone else but im more interested in what sideshow are doing with their tod indy figures (short round in particular) than the ht dx indy. i dont suppose they will reveal anything until ht have released their version though?
please give us an update sideshow!!

i dont know about anyone else but im more interested in what sideshow are doing with their tod indy figures (short round in particular) than the ht dx indy. i dont suppose they will reveal anything until ht have released their version though?
please give us an update sideshow!!

I'm far more interested in buying these figures than the HT offering. Shouldn't we have seen that mine car environment by now? And even a production peak at Shorty?

a production peak would be nice, i can understand them not wanting to 'compete' with ht but the same people will most likely buy this anyway

Short Round was only officially confirmed as starting development four months ago. I would guess the prod peek would be in a couple more months. Mine Cart was confirmed around SDCC last year, so that might be sooner.

Bottom line is, if Sideshow had Indy in any lower gear, they'd be running in reverse. These TOD figs probably won't be shipping until mid 2012.

But then look at the numbers and you can see why - the last Indy 12" fig was over a year ago now, and 2011 will likely see no 12" Indy released at all. That last Indy fig's edition size was half the size of a Star Wars alien a person in the street probably wouldn't even recognize - Gamorrean Guard - and the exclusive edition of that Indy is still in-stock at SSC a year later... as is the exclusive Belloq... from TWO years ago... with an edition size of 600 and 1000 respectively.

It's things like this that make you thankful that despite the quality issues, Sideshow stands by this license - and that TOD figs will in 2012 see actual light of day. They haven't confirmed it, but Mola Ram has got to be 100% certainty for that set - a worthy addition to the canon too, along with muscular TOD Indy.

But where they go from there, I have no idea... if Belloq was a hard sell, who will buy a Sallah? Toht was a minor icon (mostly due to melty head), but are characters like Donovan, Vogel and Brody really genuine candidates for this line when they are hardly iconic in any way? Is there anyone besides Henry or Young Indy from TLC that people will care to shell out that standard $85-120 pricepoint that SSC is establishing?

I can almost/maybe/squinting see a Willie Scott to complete the TOD hero's trio for that mine cart - solely due to a somewhat cool costume (and a cage) - but Marion I just honestly have a hard time seeing despite a desperate desire to have it. What would her edition size be - 250? And so who's left even from ROTLA? Cairo Swordsman? Dietrich in his drab green uniform? These are simply not characters that they could move in even a low 500 edition size.

Hot Toys has come to the party, but the overwhelming vibe of that is that it is what it is - a one off Indy figure, just part of a MMS DX series that touches on only the most iconic of the iconic. It would be brilliant if I'm wrong, but almost 100% certainty NOT to be the beginning of a Hot Toys Indy line.

There's a lot of discussion of "I'd like to see..." but I'm trying to separate the wants of a small group from the wider commercial reality. Can Indy 12" continue beyond the colorful world of TOD?

I'm far more interested in buying these figures than the HT offering. Shouldn't we have seen that mine car environment by now? And even a production peak at Shorty?

I agree in that I don't think the secondary characters would sell that well, judging by how the line has done. Of course there were several things wrong with each of the releases from Sideshow that if they could have been fixed (i.e. if all the releases were "perfect" and critic-proof), they probably would have sold better.

Personally I think the HT DX SHOULD have been TOD Indy and not a retread of the Raiders Indy. That would have also appeased people like me who are passing on the DX Indy. Having an HT TOD Indy, even with a sub-par headsculpt, would be much too enticing for me to pass up.

I have wishful thinking that we will see a TOD centric set a-la the Dagobah and Jabba's Palace themed sets we've seen at the last few SDCCs

They did say they were going to focus on subsets from each movie and move on from there. I can picture one of their glass podiums, with Short Round and Indy in the Mine Cart Environment with Mola Ram.

I assume the Exclusive Short Round will come with the Mine Cart Environment.

...Personally I think the HT DX SHOULD have been TOD Indy and not a retread of the Raiders Indy. That would have also appeased people like me who are passing on the DX Indy. Having an HT TOD Indy, even with a sub-par headsculpt, would be much too enticing for me to pass up.

I agree that HT should have considered doing a TOD version of Indy as their introduction to the line. Considering they utilize that "muscle"-rubber-covered arm-n-torso body, they could feature a ripped shirt that could look really good on that base body. Add a white tux and cleaned-up alternate hat-less portrait and it could've been a real winner.

I'm not getting this DX ROTLA version either...not only does it look a little "off" to me (especially for the money), I'm still really happy with the Sideshow version.

i thought hot toys were almost taking over the sideshow indy line, working alongside sideshow, so i was hoping for a tod indy rather than a 'reboot' of the raiders version.
i dont expect sideshow to do many more figures but id just like an update on the ones they mentioned were in (some stage of) production

There's a lot of discussion of "I'd like to see..." but I'm trying to separate the wants of a small group from the wider commercial reality. Can Indy 12" continue beyond the colorful world of TOD?

I think Last Crusade has a lot of room for a good line:

University Professor/suit wearing Indiana Jones
Indiana Jones (standard costume with tie)
Young Indiana Jones
Henry Jones Sr
Grail Knight...with grail environment (others would love this figure as well)

Thats 5 right there before you get into minor characters that might not sell well.

I agree indy's minor characterd wont sell but there are enough iconic characters/variations for a few more figures,
Tod indy
Tux indy and proffessor indy (maybe 2in1)
Sallah
Marion
Short round
Mola ram
Young indy
Grail knight
I dont see the need for a lc indy or people like donovan, but i would love willie in her club obi wan outfit as that would be visually stunning

I agree indy's minor characterd wont sell but there are enough iconic characters/variations for a few more figures,
Tod indy
Tux indy and proffessor indy (maybe 2in1)
Sallah
Marion
Short round
Mola ram
Young indy
Grail knight
I dont see the need for a lc indy or people like donovan, but i would love willie in her club obi wan outfit as that would be visually stunning

I would buy all those figures from Sideshow, but I understand I'm one of few.

I have bought everything in the Indy line so far from Sideshow and I must admit I would pass on a couple of those.

I don't see why they don't just throw out the Tux Indy while they work on ShortRound. They have the Trevor hatless sculpt. They have the Goldfinger Bond tux. A couple of accessories (diamond, antidote Nurhachi) and they'd be done.

I don't see why they don't just throw out the Tux Indy while they work on ShortRound. They have the Trevor hatless sculpt. They have the Goldfinger Bond tux. A couple of accessories (diamond, antidote Nurhachi) and they'd be done.

Probably because the Bond figures were not hot sellers, and Indiana Jones dressed as James Bond wouldn't be any hotter of a seller.

I wouldn't pay $89.99 for a glorified kitbash.

Probably because the Bond figures were not hot sellers, and Indiana Jones dressed as James Bond wouldn't be any hotter of a seller.

I wouldn't pay $89.99 for a glorified kitbash.

i think sideshow would have to be abit clever with this one, do a 2-1 tuxedo indy and professor jones as he'll have the same headsculpt. 2 outfits with a couple of accessories, that way we can choose which we prefer or buy twice if we want both

In all honesty, I'm done with 1:6. I wasn't all that thrilled with Sideshow's figures to begin with and Hot Toys' attempt killed it for me. I'd rather invest my money in the PFs or the prop replicas rather than a 12" figure which can come with countless inaccuracies and problems. Of course, this is coming from a collector who doesn't custom or kitbash; I take out of the box and display so my feelings on the matter are quite different than those who have the talent and inclination to perfect a 1:6 figure.

In all honesty, I'm done with 1:6. I wasn't all that thrilled with Sideshow's figures to begin with and Hot Toys' attempt killed it for me. I'd rather invest my money in the PFs or the prop replicas rather than a 12" figure which can come with countless inaccuracies and problems. Of course, this is coming from a collector who doesn't custom or kitbash; I take out of the box and display so my feelings on the matter are quite different than those who have the talent and inclination to perfect a 1:6 figure.

Totally agree.

I think these feelings Choop is you're just not a 1:6th collector. Which is fine but most of us know most figures don't come with countless anything negative. I do the same thing about making it look the way I want out of box and don't mess with it much but there's no way in hell I'd give up on 1:6th as a whole.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm not a 1:6 collector, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have wanted well-done 12" figures of Indy in my collection. But it seems it's not turning out that way. I'm interested, but not enough to cut companies slack on their flaws and spend the time and extra money to fix them. There are plenty of 1:6 collectors here, so if Sideshow decides to resurrect the line, my decision to not buy any figures won't matter much.

I think these feelings Choop is you're just not a 1:6th collector. Which is fine but most of us know most figures don't come with countless anything negative. I do the same thing about making it look the way I want out of box and don't mess with it much but there's no way in hell I'd give up on 1:6th as a whole.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree that there aren't some good Indy figures on the Market. SS figs are pretty cool IMO. Cutting companies slack on their flaws? Every company has items with mistakes if you look hard enough. That comment seems kind of funny to me I suppose. You're right on the last part.

Back