InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess what I find most interesting is that if this was HT or Asmus, they'd be getting flack out the wazoo for missing those things. But, as mentioned in one of the TDK Joker threads, since it's InArt, they get a pass. Not trying to be argumentative or anything like that. Like I said, I just find how ppl treat InArt differently than they do any other companies and are willing to give them more passes than anyone else very, very interesting.

I suspect that may be related to the fact that LOTR isn't really that popular of a property. You don't have people going crazy over the color of the socks, or the lining of the jacket, etc.

There haven't been that many Gandalf figures, so people don't really have a barometer for what's accurate. If this were the 7th Gandalf figure, people would be more particular about what's improved on this version.

People are super into LOTR, no doubt, but it's more on the lore side of things. There's not people super into LOTR costuming like there is for Star Wars, or the other popular franchises. I don't really see many people showing off their Gandalf costumes, but when someone shows off their Iron Man costume, people are impressed. So, in that sense, no one really cares if you geek out about the intricacies of Gandalf's outfit.

The Asmus is a great ‘angry at Pippin’ expression.
1692758447503.gif

My reason for getting the InArt:
I paid the deposit to Asmus but they never sent me the invoice for the rest. At the time GtG was sold out everywhere, then the InArt popped up.
It was more convenient to buy.

Well, Nic…I mean @Gipetto0812

🤪🤪🤪

It’s not a case of IA getting a pass. It’s more a case of “i have NO idea what you’re talking about. The sleeves wha? The staff didn’t have th…huh? Where??” 😅

When I watch LOTR (or any movie actually) I’m looking at faces. I look at The weapons, the occasional outfit/armor/gear as well, but most importantly, the faces because that’s where all the emotion and drama comes from. The costumes, props and weapons are all there to fill in the world with life and world building etc. SUPER IMPORTANT TOO! But, again, face is the most important.

When this figure was revealed, the first thing that struck me was the portrait. Does it look like Ian/Gandalf and realistic? Hell yeah! Got my PO in yo! As I mentioned before, That’s the most important thing for MY collecting habits. As long as the general shape of the body/outfit matches what I see on screen, then it’s good enough for me.

I don’t customize my figures like you do. I envy that. So it’s not surprising you’d pick up on minute details.

Usually whenever I get on HT case is when they give us crappy portraits and meaningless accessories. Oh and constant recycling ****. Inaccuracies with outfits are usually pointed out to me by members here…like yourself 😉

Granted we’re only 2 figures on so far…but IA have nailed what I look for in a collectible: portraits and meaningful accessories. Outfits usually aren’t priority for me. IF outfits are egregiously bad, then I’ll most definitely complain.

The Asmus is a great ‘angry at Pippin’ expression.
View attachment 658096

My reason for getting the InArt:
I paid the deposit to Asmus but they never sent me the invoice for the rest. At the time GtG was sold out everywhere, then the InArt popped up.
It was more convenient to buy.
I hope you get your deposit back.
Anyway, if you still want asmus crown Gandalf, AFAIK there are several members here who wants to sell theirs, I think in less than PO price.

Glad you managed to PO InArt Gandalf, though.
If you pay for asmus crown Gandalf ($350) with the upgrade head ($120), the total is $470 and that's only $30 less than InArt Gandalf, but with InArt's Gandalf.. that $30 is truly worth the difference!

Edit: just saw the PO price for Inart Gandalf at KGHobby and it's $448!! that is $22 cheaper than asmus crown Gandalf with the update head.. Woah!

Last edited:
I'm just not a fan of the GTW sculpt being reused for GTG on Asmus. His expression is too fierce and the hair is still too white + neat. It's a good sculpt but not one I would spend $120 on and be happy calling it a day. Great option to those who are happy enough with it to just plop it on their GTG figure.

Gives me the vibe of seeing GTW cosplay as GTG if that makes sense. Bit too mismatched.

DSvP3BI.png

Dude 🤣🤣🤣 that’s exactly it! Cosplay!

It's a threshold thing for me more than anything and doesn't really fall on it being Hot Toys or INART. Although I guess the headsculpt being a step up above everything else does play a part to it.

Take the NWH Amazing Spider-Man figure for example. A figure that's been upgraded and yet they STILL manage to get the entire suit wrong + a terrible looking sculpt. It's hard to not see the entire figures fault at that point. It becomes a figure that's viewed as a:

"Well...we're not getting another Garfield figure. Might as well get this one I guess.."

Instead of a figure that's viewed as:

"Wow that's an amazing Garfield sculpt + they got the red shine right but they missed a detail on his webbing that I can live with."

The reason it might appear to be a Hot Toys vs INART thing is because INART has been a step above, for the most part, in the sculpt department above all else, which is arguably the most important part. Doesn't excuse any of the errors but I think the overall figure being better proportioned, tailored and sculpted plays a part into it.
Yea, I get your point; however, with Garfield Spiderman, you can't really fault them for the sculpt if they legally weren't allowed to make a new one. The suit I definitely understand though and have mentioned it myself in that thread haha

I don't have loyalty to any one company nor do I have the hate that some seem to have towards others (not saying that's you). So, if it's something that bothers me, I'll point it out regardless of who makes it and decide if I can live with it. But again, it has to be a character I truly care about and actually know the details for. There are some characters I love but don't know all the details for like many in the SW universe. I only recently within the last year found out about all the Darth Vader inaccuracies and that's only b/c I was customizing the two I have, otherwise I'd be blissfully ignorant :lol Sometimes I wish I was like that for most characters as it would make this hobby a little easier to just assume the company making said item knows the details better than I do, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

I suspect that may be related to the fact that LOTR isn't really that popular of a property. You don't have people going crazy over the color of the socks, or the lining of the jacket, etc.

There haven't been that many Gandalf figures, so people don't really have a barometer for what's accurate. If this were the 7th Gandalf figure, people would be more particular about what's improved on this version.

People are super into LOTR, no doubt, but it's more on the lore side of things. There's not people super into LOTR costuming like there is for Star Wars, or the other popular franchises. I don't really see many people showing off their Gandalf costumes, but when someone shows off their Iron Man costume, people are impressed. So, in that sense, no one really cares if you geek out about the intricacies of Gandalf's outfit.
I would agree with you about if it was the 7th version of this character then folks would be more particular, however, that didn't really happen with the InArt Joker. It was oo's and ahh's with a pass on everything else b/c of how good it looked up until recently with the comparison between InArt, Artisan HT and the real deal. I'm included in that too, btw. It's only now that that I've had it in hand that I too see what's wrong, only amplified b/c it was also talked about in the thread.

I do agree with you that there probably is a bit of the love for LOTR is more of the lore rather the finer details in costuming, though ppl were pretty quick to let InArt have it with Aragorn vs Gandalf. Again, I go back to there being a threshold of caring.

I'm not saying one is right or wrong, I just find the whole thing interesting. The way ppl's minds are working when it comes to InArt releases vs HT or other companies producing the same characters. I like to know or at least try to understand how certain things work when it comes to topics that interest me which is why I brought up the conversation.

Well, Nic…I mean @Gipetto0812
Oh goodness don't say that :lol unless I start shaming ppl for what they buy and how they display their stuff that is :rotfl
🤪🤪🤪

It’s not a case of IA getting a pass. It’s more a case of “i have NO idea what you’re talking about. The sleeves wha? The staff didn’t have th…huh? Where??” 😅

When I watch LOTR (or any movie actually) I’m looking at faces. I look at The weapons, the occasional outfit/armor/gear as well, but most importantly, the faces because that’s where all the emotion and drama comes from. The costumes, props and weapons are all there to fill in the world with life and world building etc. SUPER IMPORTANT TOO! But, again, face is the most important.

When this figure was revealed, the first thing that struck me was the portrait. Does it look like Ian/Gandalf and realistic? Hell yeah! Got my PO in yo! As I mentioned before, That’s the most important thing for MY collecting habits. As long as the general shape of the body/outfit matches what I see on screen, then it’s good enough for me.

I don’t customize my figures like you do. I envy that. So it’s not surprising you’d pick up on minute details.

Usually whenever I get on HT case is when they give us crappy portraits and meaningless accessories. Oh and constant recycling ****. Inaccuracies with outfits are usually pointed out to me by members here…like yourself 😉

Granted we’re only 2 figures on so far…but IA have nailed what I look for in a collectible: portraits and meaningful accessories. Outfits usually aren’t priority for me. IF outfits are egregiously bad, then I’ll most definitely complain.
yea I see your points and I totally understand folks have their own collecting habits and what they look for in each collectible. And I'm certainly not asking anyone to justify why they bought one thing over another.

Like I say above, I just find the whole way ppl's minds are working around InArt releases vs HT and/or other companies of the same character.

For context, the reason I notice these things with us in these threads is even though I'm currently working at one firm as I like the environment (and pay me well lets not forget that :lol), my actual job is an architectural consultant where I help residential architecture businesses find their weak spots and what systems they can implement to get more work and get that work done more efficiently, so they can in turn grow and become more profitable. So, I naturally look for patterns and have just begun to notice some in the InArt threads and how ppl speak in those threads vs ones by the competitors. And aside from there being a certain level of what appears to me to be undeniable forgiveness on InArt b/c they've effectively been pushing HT (and others) to up their game, is that every collector has a certain threshold of what they can and can't live without i.e. care about. But, there are layers to that and those are different for everyone whether that's the sculpt, costume details, accessory details, price etc. It's something I never really noticed before b/c we only really had HT and customs as we didn't really have more than 1 company making official products of the same character. I pick up on a lot of inaccuracies, but as mentioned, my threshold of caring depends on the character.

It just fascinates me is all.

Last edited:
There are some characters I love but don't know all the details for like many in the SW universe. I only recently within the last year found out about all the Darth Vader inaccuracies and that's only b/c I was customizing the two I have, otherwise I'd be blissfully ignorant :lol
I think this is a very big part of it as well. I had no idea about the floral pattern on Gandalf's inner robe until it was even mentioned in this thread earlier. It's not something you ever really see in the movie since it's under his main garment. I imagine that is the same, as you said, towards other characters like Vader and even JOKOR himself. Some people just know every inch and detail about certain characters and no matter what company it is, if the details aren't there, they'll be pointed out. Others who are more ignorant to the details, will not care as much. Doesn't fall on it being a Hot Toys vs INART thing in that regard.

Vader is a very good example of this. The amount of scrutiny that the character goes through on each release for just the helmet/dome itself, is kind of insane. The widows peak being slightly off, the overall shape and length being a cm off in the back, the front face mask being shaped a certain way, etc etc. Vader is another another character where, while I'm aware of these crazy details, if the figure looks good enough for me, I'm happy enough with it.

Take the Obi-Wan Vader figure for example. I'm sure there's someone who can point out the million errors on that one but it looks pretty damn great to me and so I have him on PO as my first Vader figure. I skipped on all their previous offerings hoping that they get to a point where a Vader figure was good enough and that was the one for me. I wish Hot Toys would shrink down their 1/4 Vader since that was their best looking one but they refuse to do so.:dunno

Last edited:
Yea I get your point, however, with Garfield Spiderman, you can't really fault them for the sculpt if they legally weren't allowed to make a new one. The suit I definitely understand though and have mentioned about myself in that haha

I don't have loyalty to any one company nor do I have the hate that some seem to have towards others (not saying that's you). So, if it's something that bothers me, I'll point it out regardless of who makes it and decide if I can live with it. But again, it has to be a character I truly care about and actually know the details for. There are some characters I love but don't know all the details for like many in the SW universe. I only recently within the last year found out about all the Darth Vader inaccuracies and that's only b/c I was customizing the two I have, otherwise I'd be blissfully ignorant :lol Sometimes I wish I was like that for most characters as it would make this hobby a little easier to just assume the company making said item knows the details better than I do, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

I would agree with you about if it was the 7th version of this character then folks would be more particular, however, that didn't really happen with the InArt Joker. It was oo's and ahh's with a pass on everything else b/c of how good it looked up until recently with the comparison between InArt, Artisan HT and the real deal.

I do agree with you that there probably is a bit of the love for LOTR is more of the lore rather the finer details in costuming, though ppl were pretty quick to let InArt have it with Aragorn vs Gandalf. Again, I go back to there being a threshold of caring.

I'm not saying one is right or wrong, I just find the whole thing interesting. The way ppl's minds are working when it comes to InArt releases vs HT or other companies producing the same characters. I like to know or at least try to understand how certain things work when it comes to topics that interest me which is why I brought up the conversation.

Oh goodness don't say that :lol unless I start shaming ppl for what they buy and how they display their stuff that is :rotfl

yea I see your points and I totally understand folks have their own collecting habits and what they look for in each collectible. And I'm certainly not asking anyone to justify why they bought one thing over another.

Like I say above, I just find the whole way ppl's minds are working around InArt releases vs HT and/or other companies of the same character.

For context, the reason I notice these things with you guys is even though I'm currently working at one firm as I like the environment (and pay me well lets not forget that :lol), my actual job is an architectural consultant where I help architecture businesses find their weak spots and what systems they can implement to get more work and get that work done more efficiently, so they can in turn grow and become more profitable. So, I naturally look for patterns and have just begun to notice some in the InArt threads and how ppl speak in those threads vs ones by the competitors. And aside from there being a certain level of what appears to me to be undeniable forgiveness on InArt b/c they've effectively been pushing HT (and others) to up their game, is that every collector has a certain threshold of what they can and can't live without i.e. care about. But, there are layers to that and those are different for everyone whether that's the sculpt, costume details, accessory details, price etc.

No I get it. I too have seen those posts here and over at other platforms where the IA worship has gone a bit extreme. As much as I appreciate their presence and the effect they’re having on the industry, I don’t think I’ve gone over to the dark place that is known as bootlicking or worship.

I’d like to think the ones that are excited for IA’s Gandalf have the same POV as mine, as in…meeting the bare, yet sophisticated, requirements. Does it have a 95-99% likeness to the actor/character? Does it have awesome accessories? Does the outfit not look janky? Does it look awesome?

In Gandalf’s case with the sleeve: well, we don’t have the figure in hand yet so it’s really hard to judge it right? And even if it’s revealed that they truly missed the hole for the thumb, then it is a very weird omission from a company that’s supposed to be about accuracy and next level realism.

Then it comes down to subjectivity.

If the thumb hole is missing, does the figure’s score drop from a 10 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10? Mmm, probably not that low IMO.

So I’d ask myself “is it really such a big deal?”

If I had to answer now, objectively? No, it isn’t a big deal. Is it annoying they missed that detail? YES. For over $400, it’s stupid they effed that up.

But It’s not something that defines the character nor is it always on screen and visibly smacking you in the face to take notice.

I guess it all comes down to what bothers the individual more right? For me, portraits take priority over everything else. For others, EVERYTHING is priority. And that’s fine. It’s the keen eyes (like yourself) that HELPS the medium improve.

Some may scoff at those “nitpickers”…but nah, they’re good for the hobby.

For context, the reason I notice these things with us in these threads is even though I'm currently working at one firm as I like the environment (and pay me well lets not forget that :lol), my actual job is an architectural consultant where I help residential architecture businesses find their weak spots and what systems they can implement to get more work and get that work done more efficiently, so they can in turn grow and become more profitable. So, I naturally look for patterns and have just begun to notice some in the InArt threads and how ppl speak in those threads vs ones by the competitors. And aside from there being a certain level of what appears to me to be undeniable forgiveness on InArt b/c they've effectively been pushing HT (and others) to up their game, is that every collector has a certain threshold of what they can and can't live without i.e. care about. But, there are layers to that and those are different for everyone whether that's the sculpt, costume details, accessory details, price etc. It's something I never really noticed before b/c we only really had HT and customs as we didn't really have more than 1 company making official products of the same character. I pick up on a lot of inaccuracies, but as mentioned, my threshold of caring depends on the character.

I think the attitude difference you see is also from the "WOW" factor people get when seeing INART photos. It puts you more towards that honeymoon phase than say, Hot Toys, who we know by now how they operate. We know what to expect from them. Each announcement you see from them isn't as exciting for some folks at this point into the game. I think this results in their figures being more criticized because on top of getting your usual figure, they miss the most basic of things that then get pointed out because you're not viewing these new figure announcements with amazement.

This is a company that has been in the game for 20 years. I think it's natural to view their work a bit differently compared to a company that has only just came into the game last year. Again, this doesn't excuse inaccuracies but there is a lot of factors that goes into the attitude difference you might see in threads. I myself have said before that I give them a tiny bit of slack due to them being new. That combined with me being ignorant to certain details plays into it a bit.

With Hot Toys, after all these years, I get more and more annoyed when they pull the same crap over and over again. Even with that recent Sabine teaser, you can already tell that they're gonna slap a single jointed elbow on that figure when they literally teased an updated Bo-Katan with double jointed elbows a few months ago.

Like...why do that..? Some of this stuff just makes you scratch your head and wonder how HT might be operating. As you said with Garfield, if they couldn't do anything with his sculpt, I find it even worse that they couldn't put more attention to at least getting the suit and proportion spot on. That's all that there was left to work with on that figure and we couldn't even get that from them. It's frustrating with them.

I think I'm just not as annoyed with INART yet as I am with Hot Toys. :lol Hot Toys has just done so much random crap over the years and I probably carry a bit of that towards their stuff. Maybe in a few years, I'll get to that point with INART as well. Who knows but it's too early too tell.

Last edited:
Yes yes yes, thanks again holo. You’re WAY BETTER at explaining these things 😅

Asmus may have gotten the sleeves right…but the headsculpt and moveable eyes…I mean, I still can find enjoyment out of it, but when compared to IA’s GTG, I think it’s pretty clear which company did the better job.

As holo so eloquently explained, IA are new. 2nd figure in and they’re already trying to change the game with magnetic eyes…that no one was aware of but got cool extras out of that omission 😂.

They got passion. They got heart, kid! Lots of it! And that’s admirable.

If by figure 8 and they start doing questionable things…nah bruh…that’s blood in the water.

No I get it. I too have seen those posts here and over at other platforms where the IA worship has gone a bit extreme. As much as I appreciate their presence and the effect they’re having on the industry, I don’t think I’ve gone over to the dark place that is known as bootlicking or worship.

I’d like to think the ones that are excited for IA’s Gandalf have the same POV as mine, as in…meeting the bare, yet sophisticated, requirements. Does it have a 95-99% likeness to the actor/character? Does it have awesome accessories? Does the outfit not look janky? Does it look awesome?

In Gandalf’s case with the sleeve: well, we don’t have the figure in hand yet so it’s really hard to judge it right? And even if it’s revealed that they truly missed the hole for the thumb, then it is a very weird omission from a company that’s supposed to be about accuracy and next level realism.

Then it comes down to subjectivity.

If the thumb hole is missing, does the figure’s score drop from a 10 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10? Mmm, probably not that low IMO.

So I’d ask myself “is it really such a big deal?”

If I had to answer now, objectively? No, it isn’t a big deal. Is it annoying they missed that detail? YES. For over $400, it’s stupid they effed that up.

But It’s not something that defines the character nor is it always on screen and visibly smacking you in the face to take notice.

I guess it all comes down to what bothers the individual more right? For me, portraits take priority over everything else. For others, EVERYTHING is priority. And that’s fine. It’s the keen eyes (like yourself) that HELPS the medium improve.

Some may scoff at those “nitpickers”…but nah, they’re good for the hobby.
that's a good assessment and I think really puts into words what I couldn't about thought processes when deciding on things. And I'm not bringing up this conversation as if I'm on the outside looking in as my mind asks those same questions too when deciding about the next purchase and factoring all those things that may or may not be important enough.
I think the attitude difference you see is also from the "WOW" factor people get when seeing INART photos. It puts you more towards that honeymoon phase than say, Hot Toys, who we know by now how they operate. We know what to expect from them. Each announcement you see from them isn't as exciting for some folks at this point into the game. I think this results in their figures being more criticized because on top of getting your usual figure, they miss the most basic of things that then get pointed out because you're not viewing these new figure announcements with amazement. This is a company that has been in the game for 20 years. I think it's natural to view their work a bit differently to a company that has only just came into the game last year. Again, this doesn't excuse inaccuracies but there is a lot of factors that goes into the attitude difference you might see in threads. I myself have said before that I give them a tiny bit of slack due to being new. That combined with me being ignorant to certain details plays into it a bit.

With Hot Toys, after all these years, I get more and more annoyed when they pull the same crap over and over again. Even that recent Sabine teaser, you can already tell that they're gonna slap a single jointed elbow on that figure when they literally teased an updated Bo-Katan with double jointed elbows a few months ago.

Like...some of this stuff just makes you scratch your head and wonder how HT might be operating. As you said with Garfield, if they couldn't do anything with his sculpt, I find it even worse that they couldn't put more attention to at least getting the suit and proportion spot on. That's all that there was left to work with on that figure and we couldn't even get that from them.

I think I'm just not as annoyed with INART yet as I am with Hot Toys. :lol Hot Toys has just done so much random crap over the years and I probably carry a bit of that towards their stuff. Maybe in a few years, I'll get to that point with INART as well. Who knows but it's too early too tell.
100% agreed with you, especially with the difference between a HT release and an InArt one. There's definitely a bit more excitement to be had for InArt b/c it sort of feels new and fresh even if it's a character that's been done before. We want to know what they may do differently and hopefully better. With HT, it can feel a bit like "here we go again, what did they miss this time?" I mean even how they handled the whole artisan/rooted hair drops was infuriating when they could've done like InArt and had a short window period, still made it a Sideshow exclusive, and could've even had a 1 per customer restriction at Sideshow. Or, perfect example being those single jointed arms you pointed out when there really is no reason for it on that character or the previous ones. Like you said, lots of headscratcher moments from a company that's been in it for so long.

My rub with InArt is they're sort of marketed as the next level so when they miss the finer details I'm not as carefree about is as others, in the same way that ppl are critical about HT still missing that one thing on that one character they've done 3 figures of already. Not fair, I know :lol Like @BrooklynWolf X mentioned, most are probably of the mind that "InArt got this so right that I don't mind they missed that." Whereas I'm like "but you were so close, to be as close to perfect as you can be at this scale and you miss at the goal line!"

As you said, most are probably not as annoyed with InArt out of the gate in the way are with HT. I'm just annoyed no matter who it is :lol Even 3Z with their GI Joes, many are ok with what they see given the prices are pretty much sub $200 whereas I'm annoyed they couldn't do xyz with said character :LOL: With HT, we can usually expect another version of a popular character to come out eventually as that's their MO. But, InArt, to me at least, is meant to be based on their marketing, the one stop shop to where I ideally don't want to upgrade for a very long time if at all, especially since in one of their early videos they mentioned that they don't plan to make 2.0s of characters (though I find that hard to believe, at least with TDK Joker). So, when they miss the little things, like the really small and arguably insignificant thumb holes on Gandalf for instance, I now feel annoyed about it and also compelled to hunt down an Asmus shirt that did it right (I fully realize is a personal problem btw :lol).

Last edited:

And that’s completely fine to see, question AND want those missing details that could’ve easily been implemented. I’m right there with you. A hole in the sleeve for his thumb. I mean, you made his sculpt so sharp so we can admire the wrinkles and details on his face. The hair was meticulously applied. The robe was hand stitched…but you left out the hole in his sleeve?

Like I said, I get it. There’s nothing weird in wanting absolute perfection or close to it.

And that’s completely fine to see, question AND want those missing details that could’ve easily been implemented. I’m right there with you. A hole in the sleeve for his thumb. I mean, you made his sculpt so sharp so we can admire the wrinkles and details on his face. The hair was meticulously applied. The robe was hand stitched…but you left out the hole in his sleeve?

Like I said, I get it. There’s nothing weird in wanting absolute perfection or close to it.
Agreed. And I'm not trying to come off as not appreciating the lengths they went to elsewhere. I LOVE what they've done so far across most of their releases and am actually VERY glad they came on the scene, no doubt about it.

Aragorn, even before the updates, was without question, the most realistic prototype I had ever scene for the what,15+ years of being in this 1/6 scale hobby. I mean InArt coming onto the scene is what has prompted my most recent purge of collectibles and my new desire for even higher quality items (whether official or custom) rather than just whatever scraps HT (and others) is throwing at us.

So, I am more than happy they are here and absolutely hope they stay long enough to give me more characters I truly love like these from LOTR, Harry Potter/Wizarding World, Snyder Trilogy, etc. I am excited even if my previous posts may not come off that way. This is just a discussion I've been wanting to have for awhile with you guys rather than the standard "ooo that looks good/bad/buy/pass/ etc."

Back