In what order do you rate the Indiana Jones Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. ROTLA
2. Tie - TLC & TOD
3. KOTC

I absolutely love the first three movies, I was introduced to them at the age of 5 or 6 and Indy has been my favorite character in any form of fiction since. I even love Crystal Skull sometimes but some of the parts are so cringeworthy that it makes it tough to get through the entire film. Once they hit the jungles of Peru, I usually lose a lot of interest in the film. Although I am a fan of some of the chase scene, I like the big damn ants, and once they get to Akator it gains a little steam only to lose it with the combining of the aliens and takeoff.

I think I was maybe 5 or 6 as well when I first got into the series, with the first two. The rest as they say is history :)

I'd like to rank them twice: first in order of overall quality, then in my preference

1- ROTLA
2- TOD
3- LC
4- KOTCS

Raiders is the quintessential Indiana Jones film. Temple of Doom is basically a darker version of Raiders in tone. Last Crusade is a change in tone; more tongue and cheek, a more emotional story. And, hell, it's got Sean Connery. Crystal Skull is a disaster. It tries to mix the tone of Raiders/Temple with LC, and fails dramatically. Also, I get the whole cheesy '50s alien vibe, but I find it inappropriate for Indiana Jones.

So, having said that...

1- LC (first Indy movie I saw)
2- ROLTA (most fun)
3- TOD (almost as fun)
4- KOTCS (extremely disappointing)

First Indy movie seen would be a good topic. TOD was mine and I recall seeing ROTLA not long after. For some reason I didn't see TLC until later when I was about 8 or 9, I recall catching it on the USA Network (back when they were a good channel).

I actually rank them in order they came out as well, with ROTLA being by far my favorite of the series. For what it's worth, i saw them in order. TOD was pretty good, minus the obvious annoying "sidekicks." TLC was ok and I hated KOTCS.

First movie seen for me was ROTLA, in the theaters when it was first released. I was 10 and I remember my parents dragged me to see it; at first I wasn't interested in it. But still riding the Empire Strikes Back high, when Harrison came into focus at the beginning of the film, I turned to my mom and yelled, "That's Han Solo!" I was hooked ever since. I've probably told this story before, but it's one of those experiences that really defined my childhood and shaped my love for movies and collecting that obviously still sticks me with me today. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Last edited:
I've probably told this story before, but it's one of those experiences that really defined my childhood and shaped my love for movies and collecting that obviously still sticks me with me today. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I have that same feeling towards Christopher Reeve and his Superman. When I opened the HT box and saw the likeness, it gave me goosebumps. Nostalgia is a hard thing to top.

First movie seen for me was ROTLA, in the theaters when it was first released. I was 10 and I remember my parents dragged me to see it; at first I wasn't interested in it. But still riding the Empire Strikes Back high, when Harrison came into focus at the beginning of the film, I turned to my mom and yelled, "That's Han Solo!" I was hooked ever since. I've probably told this story before, but it's one of those experiences that really defined my childhood and shaped my love for movies and collecting that obviously still sticks me with me today. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I still wish I could've seen the original trilogy in theaters. No theater near me was showing the ROTLA re-release last year, sadly.

Seeing the recent pictures of Harrison on the set of Expendables 3, he looks pretty good and like he can do at least one more Indy film. Would be nice if they'd get it going after he's finished with Star Wars Episode VII.

Im off to see temple of doom tonight in stroud (uk) They're showing the whole trilogy at the moment, starting with raiders last week (which was awesome), and finishing with Last Crusade next week.

Although my favourite changes between the 3, i have to admit im looking forward to seeing temple of doom the most!

Im off to see temple of doom tonight in stroud (uk) They're showing the whole trilogy at the moment, starting with raiders last week (which was awesome), and finishing with Last Crusade next week.

Although my favourite changes between the 3, i have to admit im looking forward to seeing temple of doom the most!

Awesome, did you see them all?

:clap WOW! :clap

I did! Temple of Doom was the probably the best as they showed the unedited version with the heart removal scene. I'd not seen that before and that was a bit of a wtf moment! I'd always assumed that was just a slight of hand illusion from Mola Ram so it changed my perception of him and the cult.

I could quite happily do it all again! I took a friend to Raiders, and that was her first experience of Indiana Jones. She had know idea who/what it was all about but she enjoyed it/

I still dont know the reason behind the showings, it didnt seem to fall on any anniversary but im not complaining! They are showing the original Die Hard (25 anniversary) next Friday night so maybe they are starting to show classic movies again?

Maybe they show retro films now and then? A theater not far from me used to do that and did so for a few years.

KOTCS was on tv Friday night so I sat down and watched it again...yeah, still think it's terrible.

How would such a powerful being misplace it's skull anyway...

You could get away with any number of the cheesy bits, but not one right after the other as this movie tries to do.

Back