IMHO: Sideshow star wars line is dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow star wars line is dead

I'm new to the SS SW line as I have been in and out of CONUS for the last several years but have been doing 1/6 stuff since Tripwire Toys was in business. LOL I have no complaints about SS other than they hadnt made Boba/Mandalorians quick enough and I hate being teased. :) I started with the Clone troopers because that is my liking but have expanded to some of the older figures. Will I collect every single one on the line? Nope. Will I worry about the resale value? Again, nope. I collect them because I - A. Like them how they are and B. Like them but want to customize to my liking. All is good.

I agree that there's a bit too many clones lately. As much as I like the clones, I want to see some officers, aliens and jedi for a while.

When it was only Jedis people complained about too many Jedis and not enough armoured clones :impatient: -- now that we've got the clones people are claiming that there's too many... :panic:

The average collector will NEVER be satisfied. :cuckoo: The moment that a collector can accept that and be thankful for what is available (yes I'd love a Chewie that's not just my custom one and yes I'd love the droids IN SCALE and not astronomically and ridiculously priced) then they can be happy... not satisfied, but happy.

The attempt to be a satisfied collector is a Sisyphian task. Let it be.

Just remember the old Hasbro figures. Look at side by side comparison with them and Sideshow's. There is absolutely no contest. Granted Sideshow is not at Hot Toys level yet, but they have definitely improved since starting in 2006. And they also cost less than Hot Toys. Compare Wolverine who came mostly bare-bones at $170, and the fully loaded Captain Rex or Joes at $125. Yes, there is a slight quality difference, but not as vast a difference in quality between a Hasbro figure and a Sideshow figure.

Maybe your frustration is in seeing the figures you bought at full price available a year later (or less) for a fraction of the cost. That's just the price of getting your figure early. If you wait, you will also benefit from better prices. That way you can enjoy the excellent Sideshow figures for a price you feel more comfortable with. But if you must have things right away, then you can't complain when the prices go down later on. Think of it as paying for the privilege of being among the first to own the figure.

The line is still alive and well and after 2 years in this hobby I'm still excited by the new announcements and look forward to owning many more figures from Sideshow!

I have bought one SW fig this year... and it was released last year.

I have Palps on order and Rex (which I am luke warm about). I also sold about 40% of my SW figs. So I guess you could say my interest has waned.

When it was only Jedis people complained about too many Jedis and not enough armoured clones :impatient: -- now that we've got the clones people are claiming that there's too many... :panic:

The average collector will NEVER be satisfied.

Honestly I think the truth is most collectors are satisfied... or these wouldn't be consistently selling out. Only one Sideshow SW figure is in stock, and the rest are either sold out or at waitlist.

I do think Sideshow has found the right ES for the line... in the past they definitely over-produced the figures. Which of course meant lower prices (at the time) but then the secondary value would plumet.

For instance they made 10,000 Bespin Hans Versus 2,250 Landos. Sure, there was a $25 increase... but that doesn't make up for less than 1/4 of the figures.

Interest has waned for me, but its not because the line is dead. Its because I own like 200 figures and well, eventually you run out of room, find an interest in something else, or whatever.

The biggest factor for me slowing my collecting down is that I just can't afford it at $100+ for figures when I hardly have space to display the ones I already own!

It has nothing to do with the line being dead or bad character choices. The character choices are as strong as ever. Greedo, Emperor, Rex, Sandtroopers, Lando, these are all awesome choices, IMO.

A slave Leia figure could come to life, expand to 1:1 size and perform felatio and some SW fans wouldn't be satisfied.

Figures are still selling, SSC is still making money, Lucas is still finding ways to repackage his golden goose, therefore the line isn't dead.

I dont think its dead at all. They are just giving a bit of a clone overload but thats what I expecting as we had like 3 years of human characters. SS SW got me into 1/6 collecting. My first high end 1/6 being Jedi Luke (thinking $50 was WAY TOO MUCH :lol) I dont collect every one like I used to but SW line still has my interest 5 years later. Palpatine being the new "Grail" I cant wait for!

Still looking forard to: ESB ROTJ and ROTS Vader, Boba Fett, the droids, Count Dooku, Jango Fett, Snowtrooper and the remake I want to see the most....Jedi Luke with a Trevor Grove head sculpt on the Pro body. Yeah the old one is still good, but with the improvements made over the years would love to see them redo him

Here are pics of King Darkness getting out of the shower naked with his dollies... click at your own risk!

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sideshow gets better with every new figure, IMO. I am actually glad they hadn't made Tarkin yet, because I think they are really getting things right lately and Tarkin should be awesome. Fingers crossed...

Now before u start bashing me or agree with me. PLEASE NOTE I'm a die hard star wars fan. That being said. Is it me or is sideshows star wars line dead?!?! I remember early 2000's when the line was HOT. The exclusives went for crazy money on eBay. And the even the regulars would sell out fast. Now, the line is worthless. Now there is light at the end of this tunnel. Sideshow does have plans on making every armored character, trilogy and prequel. Can this spark more interest?? I hope so. ESB BOBA FETT probably being the most anticipated!! I just wish star wars had that hot toys quality!!!!! I'm sad to say I've sold MOST of my sideshow star wars figures. I miss having that love for them. The love I have for my hot toys. U know what I mean!?!? I also want to note that I love sideshow. PFs and statues ROCK!! But sadly, in my opinion, star wars line is dead. ;(

crybaby.jpg

Why is it every whiner on the planet starts crying when they don't see their figures made/announced next? Patience is a virtue and Star Wars is a license to print money. They'll get around to it eventually. If you're selling your stuff and not buying anymore because you're not getting what YOU want, well, sucks to be you. But I don't think Sideshow can help you with that.
:dunno

It's not dead at all. But it does need a little re-focusing & balancing.

I'm excited for Palpatine and Greedo.... and Hammerhead looks very, very promising. More of those types and less armored rehashes will go a long way to re-invigorating the line's buzz.

I'm not a huge sideshow 12" collector, I only have about 11 figures, but like all of those. Although Bespin Han doesn't look verry much like Harrison, Qui-Gon wears a wig, Bespin Luke looks scared, Anakins looks like he wears lipstick and Bib can't move his head because of his headsculpt and Ben can't move his left legg because I had to glue it (because he fell from my shelve...:monkey2) I like all of those.
Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper SL, Praji and Piett are awesome and they can't wait to see their Emperor with his throne arrive here :D

I'm also waiting to see some more Imperial officers, the Snowtroopers, Scouttroopers, Boba Fett, Chewwie, R2 & 3PO, Yoda, Slave Leia etc...

I would say the Star Wars line is far from death :peace

Back