I'm so pissed!!!..."Karate Kid" remake in the works...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This movie is probably better than Avatar. :lol

spock_slap.gif

Avatar is 1000000000x better then kung fu kid :lecture

Give this a chance or at least let your kids see it. Just as we experience the original in the 80's, kids now have a chance to do the same. And Will Smith's son was spectacular to my utter disbelief.

Give this a chance or at least let your kids see it. Just as we experience the original in the 80's, kids now have a chance to do the same. And Will Smith's son was spectacular to my utter disbelief.

I'll just experience the original.

Jaden Smith already has an ego the size of Texas, he'll be aiming for Alaska now.

i've said this before but it merits repeating... i absolutely refuse to watch this movie on general principle alone.

what principle is that? well, let's see: the movie is set in china, it's main star is chinese, and it is all about kung fu, a distinctly chinese martial art. and yet the title is still "the KARATE kid". shameless, blatant, desperate name-recall cash-in, anyone?

jackie chan, the producers and the film studio can all go f---- themselves.

Yes, that to me is the ultimate insult to Kung Fu, not matter how well the movie does. :slap

Many great kung fu masters are probably turning in their grave right now especially after it was used to fight off oppression during WW2 etc. Heck, they are even many movies made to that effect. :dunno

Do they even explain in the movie why it's called Karate Kid when he's using Kung Fu?

Wow, still a lot of hate going on. I guess some of you still have to save face and pretend it's not an at least decent movie.

My family really wanted to see it and so I took them. The theater was pretty full of families and they were all into it--laughter, tears, cheering, etc. It's rare for me to see a film get applause at the end, but this one seems to have pressed all the right buttons in this particular crowd.

I like the original, but it's not one of my top ten all time favorites or anything. I thought this was an OK version of the story--although they should have called it "The Kung Fu Kid." I think the fact that they used a younger actor for the "kid" this time makes this a little more appealing to families, and I think the box office (and the reaction from the crowd I saw it with) speaks to that.

I don't think that it is worthy of hatred from its critics, just dismissal. (And while I love Jackie Chan, he won't be getting an Oscar nomination like Pat Morita did. If anything, he was trying too hard to be serious and didn't have enough of the rare moments of charm and humor that the character needed.)

Yeah and it's not like the original has aged badly why can't you just let your kids see that? then they'll see there is no need to watch the new one. :)

You must have not seen the original recently. I was like you guys when I first saw the trailer for The Karate Kid 2010. I turned to my son and said it's going to suck because all remakes do, and we sat down and watched the original the following weekend.

I quickly apologized for making him sit through that and promised him that I would take him to see the new movie for being such a sport. I'm glad I did. I wish all remakes could be like this one. It's not Oscar worthy but it was a good damn movie.

There is one scene in the new movie that made me glad I watched the original with my son though. It was word for word with the original but the lines where delivered in Chinese. I'm not going to spoil it but my son turned to me and uttered the English equivalent. What an awesome moment to share with my son.

You must have not seen the original recently. I was like you guys when I first saw the trailer for The Karate Kid 2010. I turned to my son and said it's going to suck because all remakes do, and we sat down and watched the original the following weekend.

I quickly apologized for making him sit through that and promised him that I would take him to see the new movie for being such a sport. I'm glad I did. I wish all remakes could be like this one. It's not Oscar worthy but it was a good damn movie.

There is one scene in the new movie that made me glad I watched the original with my son though. It was word for word with the original but the lines where delivered in Chinese. I'm not going to spoil it but my son turned to me and uttered the English equivalent. What an awesome moment to share with my son.

If you didn't sign your kid up for karate lessons right after you failed.

:wink1:

My son took karate lessons last year and that's one of the reasons he was asking me to take him to the movie from the moment he first saw the trailer.

Back