If there is no fellowship from SS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We may never see it in pf but this new line we will.

Sorry Josh but I think this is a fool's hope. They've done the "Fellowship" in the original SS/W lines (both stachoo -- even though Pip was just a bit overdressed -- and busts). And I've got both sets. We had a tantalizing taste of what could have been in the dolls line but never to fruition it would seem. PFs and LSBs have slowed down to a point that we're not even half-way to addressing the 9 Walkers in either line. And I'm thinking that it's because of the slow sales. It seems that once the "big 4" of Aragorn, Gandalf, Frodo, and Legolas gets made, folks kind of get lukewarm with the 3 remaining hobbits. And it would seem Boromir's costuming might be difficult. And Gimli gets NO love at'all. I'm also thinking that, despite their best intentions (as with the dolls), the same curse will stop the maquettes from having the 9 completed as well.

If they DO go ahead regardless of sales, then I'd be first in line to apologize for doubting.....but I don't think I will have to.:peace

Wetanut, you have posted some very appropriate and well-thought out concerns and disappointments about how Sideshow has handled a lot of these lines, leaving the fellowship undone.

I tried to limit myself to collecting the PF figures, as it seemed like the best way to get a complete Fellowship with a high-level of quality and detail. I have been glad for the secondary characters that have been offered, but I too am bummed that some of the Fellowship might not get their due in the PF line. I've ordered the maquette line as my "fallback." They look great, and if that is the way I can get the Fellowship of the Ring, that will be how I'll have to do it. I guess I am really bummed because I thought the Maquette line would be a great way to get alternate portraits of the fellowship, like Gondorian Boromir, but the PF line would be the definitive Fellowship, all in their travel gear.

We've gotten Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn and Legolas. Boromir and Gimli have been hinted at, though Sideshow recently stated these were more difficult than they thought. I hope that means they'll be coming later, rather than never, and we'll get some other characters in the meanwhile. Sam seems likely too, as he is a huge fan favorite, but poor Merry and Pippin may never see the light of day, despite all of the fan polls that showed interest in these two characters. I hope that the line lasts long enough to see this through, and the PF line is actually moving at it's fastest pace in years with two figures on pre-order and one on the horizon!

i wish they would try one of those rare characters just once at the beginning of the line to prove that people will buy them. and they will. instead we get another run of aragorns, legolases, and gandalfs which doesn't do much to keep people interested. i bet if the next piece in this line was merry or pippin you'd get a lot more people to jump on board.

I want them all in the new maquette line, and I'm thinking based on the previews that the next will be either Arwen or finally a Gimli.

Wether they make the 9 in this new line or not, I'm not interested. If someone is going to shaft you, they should at least kiss you first! :horror

All in kidding, but yeah, If I am going to get screwed again, I'd at least like them to buy me dinner first:rotfl

I understand. The hobbits aren't huge sellers but they'll get done it would be like SS doing the PF or 1:6th lines from SW and never doing the main gain. The hobbits are part of the "main" part of LOTR. They play a major role in the whole thing. They need to mix in other characters as well but the Fellowship must be done.

Here's a quote from Brant on an interview I did with him at SDCC last year as far as the hobbits go for 1:6th.

Quote:
Will we get the hobbits made in the 12" line and would they be a 2-pack or how would they do it.

It’s impossible to do LOTR and NOT do Hobbits! It’s unlikely that the Hobbits would be done as 2-packs, because the price would go so high! Each of them has as much clothing and gear as any standard 12-inch figure.

Ouch reading that hurts. I love Sideshow but the ending of the 1/6 line without finishing the fellowship will always sting and when you read stuff like that it just stings even more.

For me, I only count the Fellowship as the 9 depicted in their traveling attire between Rivendell and Moria, and while they get some new gear and Gandy is gone, the Lothlorien costumes are also acceptable. So while the Weta line has 8 this way, I still see it as incomplete because of wonky Citadel Pippin. Only the busts delivered and I don't think we'll see any full figure SS line in this way. While cool, the Boromir and Legolas in armor maquettes are another case of Citadel Pippin. And even if they make Gimli and Boromir, the PFs will likely stop short of Sam, Merry and Pippin. I don't think we'll ever get a proper Fellowship from SS unless it's an all-in-one dio of them cresting over the mountain or something, which I'm still surprised they haven't explored as it was such an iconic moment.

Last edited:
i wish they would try one of those rare characters just once at the beginning of the line to prove that people will buy them. and they will.

:goodpost: I think the Lurtz PF proved as much, though in fairness the regular did sit for awhile.

I can understand releasing the same major characters for each line but it is sad when such an iconic group as the Fellowship Nine is not completed in "any" line.

I think tomandshell had the right attitude when in regards to the new maquette line, he said something to the effect of, "once the entire Fellowship has been released, THEN I'll go back and pick them all up..."

It's the unknowing that is unsettling. I don't think many collectors that want the Fellowship Nine are willing to gamble yet again on a new line, only to be disappointed once again with another incomplete Fellowship collection. (especially at $250+ a pop.)

Another point is that very few can be a completist at these prices. So some releases will not be as popular and will not sell as well as others. That should be expected. But in the same token, it shows the collectors that the company is behind their line and their customers in offering these pieces regardless.

And for the record, as previously mentioned, unless the characters are wearing the outfits from the scenes between Rivendell and Moria, they are NOT part of the Fellowship Nine collection... ;)

King Elessar, Osgiliath Boromir, Gondorian Pippin, Rohirrim Merry, Gandalf the White, Mordor Frodo and Sam, and Helm's Deep Legolas and Gimli do NOT make the "Fellowship Nine"!:lecture

And for the record, as previously mentioned, unless the characters are wearing the outfits from the scenes between Rivendell and Moria, they are NOT part of the Fellowship Nine collection... ;)

King Elessar, Osgiliath Boromir, Gondorian Pippin, Rohirrim Merry, Gandalf the White, Mordor Frodo and Sam, and Helm's Deep Legolas and Gimli do NOT make the "Fellowship Nine"!:lecture

Guess, it depends on how you look at it.

Sorry Josh but I think this is a fool's hope. They've done the "Fellowship" in the original SS/W lines (both stachoo -- even though Pip was just a bit overdressed -- and busts). And I've got both sets. We had a tantalizing taste of what could have been in the dolls line but never to fruition it would seem. PFs and LSBs have slowed down to a point that we're not even half-way to addressing the 9 Walkers in either line. And I'm thinking that it's because of the slow sales. It seems that once the "big 4" of Aragorn, Gandalf, Frodo, and Legolas gets made, folks kind of get lukewarm with the 3 remaining hobbits. And it would seem Boromir's costuming might be difficult. And Gimli gets NO love at'all. I'm also thinking that, despite their best intentions (as with the dolls), the same curse will stop the maquettes from having the 9 completed as well.

If they DO go ahead regardless of sales, then I'd be first in line to apologize for doubting.....but I don't think I will have to.:peace

I guess we shall see. We have Aragorn and GTG already. We know they have Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir in the works for this line.

And Arwen too, who yes, I know is not part of the fellowship. Just saying. Not a hobbit in sight. Before I started looking into this line, I felt that the hobbits could have been done in pairs, but since have found that Sideshow stated these will be individual portraits. I'm hoping for a full line, the entire fellowship (in fellowship attire) and well beyond.

GAR! :mad: The Fellowship ended on the shores of the sea when Gandalf said it did, at the Grey havens. At least, the end of the fellowship in Middle-Earth.
It's not a long road between Rivendell and Moria, so why would you say they were the 'proper' fellowship then as opposed to the other 2 movies? Because of one iconic scene when they walk wind-swept past the camera?
If this IS the 'proper' fellowship, then NONE of them can have Lorien cloaks or leaf clasps on their cloaks, or be dressed in any way differently from this short scene. The new Strider statue is NOT part of the fellowship. Merry from the SSW range is NOT part of the fellowship. That doesn't make sense to me and i'm sure Tolkien would have something to say about this were he still alive :)

GAR! :mad: The Fellowship ended on the shores of the sea when Gandalf said it did, at the Grey havens. At least, the end of the fellowship in Middle-Earth.
It's not a long road between Rivendell and Moria, so why would you say they were the 'proper' fellowship then as opposed to the other 2 movies? Because of one iconic scene when they walk wind-swept past the camera?
If this IS the 'proper' fellowship, then NONE of them can have Lorien cloaks or leaf clasps on their cloaks, or be dressed in any way differently from this short scene. The new Strider statue is NOT part of the fellowship. Merry from the SSW range is NOT part of the fellowship. That doesn't make sense to me and i'm sure Tolkien would have something to say about this were he still alive :)

I agree with ya FE.

If this IS the 'proper' fellowship, then NONE of them can have Lorien cloaks or leaf clasps on their cloaks, or be dressed in any way differently from this short scene.

The appeal for me isn't some emo bond of brotherhood of 'fellowship', but the physical motley gang of Middle Earth's greatest heroes journeying together and adventuring together for common purpose and what that image represents. Those costumes directly recall that time, in addition to being their most recognizable and iconic looks, and, yes displaying something along the lines of the mountain cresting or Moria all-together-now type of scene has long been a desire of many lotr collectors. Shame this has rarely come together in collectibles, esp SS ones.

The new Strider statue is NOT part of the fellowship. Merry from the SSW range is NOT part of the fellowship.

how is his costume different in the statue than the one he wore from Bree to Lothlorien, as that was the first time Aragorn had a costume change, right?
I can see the gripe with Merry I suppose because he's holding veggies which isn't ideal but the costume is at least the same as his one until Lothlorien.

:exactly:

Last edited:
The appeal for me isn't some emo bond of brotherhood of 'fellowship', but the physical motley gang of Middle Earth's greatest heroes journeying together and adventuring together for common purpose and what that image represents. Those costumes directly recall that time, in addition to being their most recognizable and iconic looks, and, yes displaying something along the lines of the mountain cresting or Moria all-together-now type of scene has long been a desire of many lotr collectors. Shame this has rarely come together in collectibles, esp SS ones.

lol, ok i can see your point here :lol But my argument still stands!!

for good or bad, between Strider in a field, Gandalf on a mountain, Gimli leaping, Helm's Deep Legolas and Osgiliath Boromir, Sideshow is specifically avoiding any Fellowship costume or 'scene' match-up with this new maquette line.

In the end as long as I get all 9 members of the Fellowship from the Trilogy. I'm happy. That to me is the Fellowship and that meant a bond they took to the end of the story and the end of their lives (if you read the appendices)

Attachments

• VADER.jpg
    VADER.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 7
Back