If there is no fellowship from SS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no doubt we'll get 3 12" lotr this year... but there will not be Gimli or the Hobbits!!! They don't have an answer to the bodies.. and may never. Until I am proven otherwise, I stand my ground as being a pessamist on the Fellowship being completted!!!!:google

LOTRFan said:
I respect the Kause and all, but in fairness I think that LOTR is a MUCH larger animal than is Highlander - and they have the Academy awards to prove it.

Ha ha :lol I agree with you there, but so far the the edition sizes have been much smaller than SW (the other juggernaut of 1/6) and have really struggled to sell out. And many exclusives end up on going to waitlist and second chance.

When I see this I do get a little concerned about the longevity of the line. But I don't think that Sideshow would really abandon it since in Geekdom its a huge license.

LOTRFan said:
We should also keep in mind that SS is likely already in talks to gain approval for the next few PFs, I thought that the Legend Darkness blog was quite eye-opening in that regard. I mean Andy has even revealed that the Hulk PF was sculpted and done an entire year before it ever saw the light of day. The fact is, we don't know just how many PFs are in the pipe right now, but I don't think it is naive to assume that there are a good number.

Right. We have no idea how many are in the can so to speak or are about to be in the can for approval. I don't think either LOTR line is in any kind of trouble at all. Sure it's been slow but honestly these costumes are some of the hardest of any line SS does. They take more time and based on what we've gotten so far I think we're headed in the right direction. Patience is the key really when it comes to the LOTR line.

jlcmsu said:
It will happen. I have zero doubts about that.

I don't know about that. Using Frodo as an example, relatively speaking it didn't sell that well and he's the main man. Nothing Weta did for Pippin was a big seller so other than die hards like myself, I doubt they could sell 1000 of him. You yourself IIRC said we were lucky to get the Gondorian Pippin. If Sideshow has the license for 50 years I can see a Fellowship being complete but to be honest, I would much rather see other characters done before any of the Hobbits.

Like I said before, since I have the Weta Fellowship I don't care if it gets done in PF but if I didn't I would probably insist on it. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I understand. The hobbits aren't huge sellers but they'll get done it would be like SS doing the PF or 1:6th lines from SW and never doing the main gain. The hobbits are part of the "main" part of LOTR. They play a major role in the whole thing. They need to mix in other characters as well but the Fellowship must be done.

Here's a quote from Brant on an interview I did with him at SDCC last year as far as the hobbits go for 1:6th.

Will we get the hobbits made in the 12" line and would they be a 2-pack or how would they do it.

It’s impossible to do LOTR and NOT do Hobbits! It’s unlikely that the Hobbits would be done as 2-packs, because the price would go so high! Each of them has as much clothing and gear as any standard 12-inch figure.

Yeah I agree when it comes to the 12" line but I'm still not convinced it's a priority for the PF line.

Fritz said:
Yeah I agree when it comes to the 12" line but I'm still not convinced it's a priority for the PF line.

Could be the case but I don't think so. I hope. :)

I have no doubt that the Fellowship will be done and I will go out on a limb and say that within the next two years we will see the hobbits being released. I have faith in SS... ;)

The smaller "hobbit" bodies will obviously be utilized in other lines, so the developmental costs can be spread out and not fall on the LOTR line particularly. Star Wars would have Jawas and "Annie", as well as the despised ewoks... :monkey4

As far as clothing goes, while they may have similarly intricate detailing, they will be half the amount of actual material. I know that may not amount to much in savings, but it may prove extremely difficult in justifying a $60+ price tag on a tiny 6" figure, unless they were to come with a nice amount of gear and/or extras.

I personally could see a two-pack of the hobbits selling for $80.00 or so:

1. Fellowship Frodo & Sam: Include their short swords, Sting, Lothlorien cloaks, packs, pipes and frying pans.

2. Fellowship Merry & Pippin: Include their short swords, packs, Lothlorien cloaks, pipes, and perhaps some veggies stolen from Farmer Maggot...

As far as Gimli goes, his body type can also be utilized in other lines, as well as the LOTR line itself. Many of the orcs, particularly the Moria goblins were smaller in statue. We could get a few of those as well. Gimli would definitely justify the average price of a standard 12" figure regardless of size, due to his intricate clothing and gear, particularly the numerous axes and his helmet.

I honestly can't wait for this line to really take off. So far each subsequent release has been better than the previous ones. I only wish it had rocketed from the get-go like the SW line did.

Speaking in terms of the PF's I hope to see the whole Fellowship. Someone mentiond Pippen not being a big seller. You're correct and in order to insure sellouts I'd like to see SS go the route of the Marvel pieces and instead of producing 1000-1500 pieces put out about 200 for the exclusive and maybe 300 regular for a few pieces and see demand go up.

with the PF talk and this speculation about the new maquette line, it seems appro to bump this thread up, though I'm sure there were many more like it over the years, and re-read the thoughts from 3 years ago. Some were so convinced we were going to see a complete fellowship from Sideshow, in both 12" and PF lines...

Josh, you sure you wanna hitch your wagon to the Sideshow Benefit of The Doubt Train... again? Especially when it comes to LOTR?

I have them in statue form but I guarantee they will get done in both forms. I simply do not see SS not doing all of them as it would be pointless to do a LOTR line and not do the Fellowship.

oh_snap.jpg

:peace :duff

Yup, willing to do it again. I expected the other lines to sell better. LOTR fans just aren't into the clothing items as much as statues IMO. I don't mind it because I really like the 1:6th scale arena.

Maybe but I doubt I'm wrong this time.

Haven't they already stated something to the effect that there won't be any in PF as well? There was a rant thread about it somewhere around here. I remember posting, ":clap:clap Serves you ____ers right! :clap:clap" in it. :lol

Wednesday, July 7th, 2010
Q: Just wondering; would it be at all possible for Sideshow to complete 1 or 2 lines in you’re “The Lord of the Rings” range? There are so many different lines in production, some active, some stalled – it’s a nightmare for me as a collector, as I have bits and pieces of all the lines but don’t seem to ever get a complete set! By the rate Sideshow is going, I be dead before I ever complete a single LOTR product line. So my question, why is it so hard for Sideshow to finish one line (at least The Fellowship members) before releasing another line? I love all the LOTR products you guys have made so far, but I have to be honest, it seems to me that Sideshow is in a big mess, and you’re only digging yourselves deeper by releasing yet another LOTR line.

A:Fair enough, and as LOTR fans, we understand where you’re coming from. Many factors influence our decision making, including fan feedback, sales support, design quality, developer availability, and sometimes even resource competition from other licenses. In our LOTR history, all of these factors have contributed to the untimely ‘pauses’ or demises of lines before we’re able to complete the Fellowship. We’ve been eager for a fresh start, and a format in which we’re most likely to be able to make good on the potential of a full Fellowship, and believe the new statue line IS that opportunity. Gimli is sort of a mascot for the potential of the line, as the complexity of the character & costume design poses significant challenges in other formats (especially 12-inch and PF), but he was the first design approved for the new statue line.

So, if Gimli is to complex for a PF, where does that leave Boromir, High Elven warriors etc?

This has taken a the proverbial 'P**s' and nearly doused the flames of my Fellowship in PF dreams :monkey2

From the other thread. It's only a matter of time before they find some ridiculous excuse not to do it in the new line as well. :lol

Last edited:
Haven't they already stated something to the effect that there won't be any in PF as well? There was a rant thread about it somewhere around here. I remember posting, ":clap:clap Serves you ____ers right! :clap:clap" in it. :lol

From the other thread. It's only a matter of time before they find some ridiculous excuse not to do it in the new line as well. :lol

Dude, I've missed you. :monkey2

I got a hard slot for RTB this fall, but I might forgo in order to go to Selection. ;)

Back