If Jabba's throne had steps, THEN it would be worth $200

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may actually cave on my first 12", here are some quickies I took - and yes this throne is certainly worth the $200.

SanDiegoComicCon2006047.jpg

SanDiegoComicCon2006048.jpg

The issue is probably over what you are used to collecting, given that I cut my teeth on the SSW line, $200 is what you were used to paying for polystone, in fact some enviornments were more expensive, relatively speaking. I have no problems with the price, this thing is huge!

It is actually a little unsettling to see Jabba in scale with real people. He is enormous! thanks for the pics!

Seaward said:
It is actually a little unsettling to see Jabba in scale with real people. He is enormous! thanks for the pics!

Yeah, he's like the size of a small suv. :lol Seriously, though he is about as big as your midsection.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, who has seen this piece in person has said its worth the money. That's enough for me.

I trust my fellow board members.

Wor-Gar said:
Everyone, and I mean everyone, who has seen this piece in person has said its worth the money. That's enough for me.

I saw it in person and I think it is worth the money. I have never bought a statue or PF from Sideshow because they are out of my price range so I've stuck to 1/6. And I still think it is worth the money. This thing is HUGE. Until you see it in person you just can't visualize how big and great this thing is. I just hope the production version comes out as good :lol

Thanks for your trust of us Wor-Gar!

Wor-Gar said:

That's exactly right, you truly have to see it to believe it. It's amazing, very ballsy move by SS. "It's too aggressive." :emperor

Wor-Gar said:

I can't imagine anyone picking up this brick (polystone has some real girth to it) and thinking it was a waste. Again, if this were SSW polystone, $200 would be a bargain. I compare the material to say that of a horse and rider, and those normally cost about $300.

FlyAndFight said:
Stop the presses!! ;)

It really does look more like a statue than an "action figure". The polystone Throne will make it look even classier.

That was almost the same thing I said to Bob, Matt, Adam, and a couple others right after we saw it at the booth. I was like that thing is a statue not a 12".

I agree he is completely worth the money... that's why I'm buying him :monkey1 And even though in some shots he looks a little sleepy, overall I think its a great general Jabba "I could kill you, but man I'm so fat and disgusting" kinda look :rotfl

But I think that having some sort of choice with expression would have been a nice addition. I don't know about opening and closing eyes, since that could detreriorate with time... but I think it mabye could have been possible to have eyelids that pop in and out to allow for changing his expression. And if the eyes are spheres you could have the option of moving them around a bit in the socket. It would add a range of possibilities and probably not a huge amount of cost...

I'm not down with the real-feel skin though: 1) it sounds creepy, and 2) I would be very worried about the rubber/latex/whatever breaking down over time.

Well, to be fair, the Hasbro "real feel" Rancor hasnt deteriorated. Not sure this is a great concern, especially for the exacting standards of those here. I think everyone L O V E S what SS is doing with Jabba and it is totally ballsy to do. When I saw this preview on Wednesday night, I was so friggin anxious to jump on the plane Thursday morning, I cant tell you. All Im saying is I would have loved to see the engineering stepped up a bit. That's one of the cornerstones of the 1/6 scale. Even more so with SS. Conversely, I dont think any PF guys would loose love for SS if they produced a PF with NO soft goods, but they'd certainly be a bit dissappointed. The expectation would be more and you'd certainly say the engineering was cut back. SS does amazing things with the PF line and so with the 1/6, so they've set the bar pretty high for themselves and we are all happy to oblige. As Jlcmsu stated, you get a certain package with the PF, bigger, better, hyper detail. I totally agree, but in turn, the 1/6 expectation is for very good to great detail, decent protrait (so far they've been really good), and most importantly, A R T I C U L A T I O N!!!!!!! Jabba's like 2/3 for me, but I still want 'em!

galactiboy said:
I'm not down with the real-feel skin though: 1) it sounds creepy, and 2) I would be very worried about the rubber/latex/whatever breaking down over time.

That is my thought as well, ages ago when I was collecting ToyBiz LOTR, the CT was notorious for face rot. Someone had also mentioned the talking Yoda, I am sure that the absence of moveable eyes will help, but I am not sure about the longevity of Jabba.

Jabba is vinyl. which means he'll have the same longevity as the heads on all our Sideshow figures.

Oh, and the Real-feel Rancor skin was total BS. It's vinyl, plain and simple. They didn't do anything but slap on a sticker.

And, to paraphrase Lucas, it is possible to go too far and ruin these things.

The heads on the 1/6 figures are PVC plastic for the most part. Only a tiny percentage are vinyl.

Darklord Dave said:
The heads on the 1/6 figures are PVC plastic for the most part. Only a tiny percentage are vinyl.
:rotfl My 60 dollars dolly heads are made of the same stuff that's buried in my backyard for the sprinkler system...

Customikey said:
Jabba is vinyl. which means he'll have the same longevity as the heads on all our Sideshow figures.

Oh, and the Real-feel Rancor skin was total BS. It's vinyl, plain and simple. They didn't do anything but slap on a sticker.

And, to paraphrase Lucas, it is possible to go too far and ruin these things.

I KNOW the Rancor was different than say, the plastic on the 12" Tauntaun, so I think that argument is not valid. Whatever the PVC/Vinyl mis was, it worked. I just hope Jabba is the same. I dont think anyone is saying the engineering on Jabba should be like the CT or talking Yoda. Obviously, those didnt hold up that well, but I dont have them, so all I saw was the maliciously torn off faces in the store.

Oh, and since when does anybody listen to Lucas???? Of course you can over detail, over engineer, over do ANYTHING. No ones saying to do that, just that 1/6 scale needs articulation. Period. Jabba doesnt have that. It's minimal and that's not good. SS could give us a little more for your money. A little more QC, a little more engineering, a little more everything.

Last edited:
I am not interested in Star Wars, and I'm not that interested in reading through this entire thread. I just want to say Sideshow rocks. This just proves it once more. The whole set belongs together, obviously. Still, it is out of the ordinary for Sideshow to have done this at all. Shows they will go the extra step for you guys, and that is enough steps, you get that for free, and hence, you now have the throne because of it.

creecher said:
I am not interested in Star Wars, and I'm not that interested in reading through this entire thread. I just want to say Sideshow rocks.

Yes, Sideshow Rocks!!! Yaddayaddayadda, rabblerabblerabble.......
There's no argument there.

Back