If Jabba's throne had steps, THEN it would be worth $200

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Movable eyelids rip over time. Rmeember that electronic talking Yoda?

And since Jabba is made of vinyl, you probably could heat the tail and bend it a little.

EVILFACE said:
Articulated eyeballs???

What, you want Jabbas eyes to close like doll you put to bed?

Read what Batty and I were discussing to better understand the idea.

:chew Well, I wasnt trying for all this, I would just like him to be more articulated. Eyes, tail, waist. He did rock back and forth when Leia was choking his arse and he did dance, so it'd make sense. AND he's already coming in 3 pieces, so I dont think the articulation would make him look bad. I thought that was what SS was really all about, especially with the 12" line. Hiding the joints in a thick rubber would be cool and I think Justin is TOTALLY right about the eyes! That would rock! I dont collect PF, so a static piece is just not my thing. But I bought it anyway, I just happen to be an articulation freak b/c I want to see things completely engineered to the max. Hell, articulate the hell out of 'em and flex pay his arse!!! Everyone wins!!!

Why do I get a vibe that some people here vehemently defend Sideshow's original choices no matter what the suggestion? We are all just wanting the best products possible...

And I don't see anything facetious about Batty's comment,

"I like that idea. Especially for when Boushh whips out that thermal detonator."

But we should let him comment for himself.

The stairs just aren't needed. Jabba doesn't use them and I don't think anyone would pose Bib climibing stairs. The eyelids would have been cool if they could have been done right. Same for more articulation. I am happy with the prices for what we are getting though (although the throne could be a bit cheaper, but Jabba could also be a bit more so it balances out I guess).

JustinLuck said:
Why do I get a vibe that some people here vehemently defend Sideshow's original choices no matter what the suggestion? We are all just wanting the best products possible....
You're only just now noticing that? I think alot of people just take the view that sideshow is the one who did the R&D so if they didn't do it there was probably a reason, probably a good one. Or maybe they just didn't like the idea.

JustinLuck said:
And I don't see anything facetious about Batty's comment,

"I like that idea. Especially for when Boushh whips out that thermal detonator."

But we should let him comment for himself.
I meant Evilface was being facetious. Considering Batty's hilarious response to my post he was apparently able to follow the train of thought.

JustinLuck said:
Why do I get a vibe that some people here vehemently defend Sideshow's original choices no matter what the suggestion? We are all just wanting the best products possible...

I think you're absolutely right. I just was commenting that the SS reps actually said they didnt do more articulation b/c of the price. For me, I thought the whole idea was price. We pay more for standard SS figures with more, more, more. More articulation, more soft goods, more everything. SS's R&D make high end products that sell for friggin 1grand and they sell out, so the excuse that the 1/6 line articulation was cut b/c of cost is just not something I'd thought Id hear from SS. Most of the guys here seem to shell out well over $300 for PF statues, so what's the difference in adding a little more to the 1/6 Jabba to make him more poseable AND fit more properly into the whole concept of the 1/6 line - ARTICULATED, highly detailed collectibles. Right now, Jabba is almost a slick way to get a PF Jabba made at a lower price point. Heck, I dont see why anyone would wince at a higher price, folks pay 3 times as much for 1/6 Hot Toys and double for 1/6 Medicom! What's wrong with paying more for hyper articulated Jabba?....well as hyper articulated as Jabba could be.

Relax guys, it's okay for someone to WISH SS would have done this instead of that! They arent gods and they DO make mistakes - Maybeit'sMabeline Anakin and MonkeyBoy Luke!!!! :D

I sure as heck wouldn't pay more just so Jabba could have articulated eyelids. I mean c'mon now, moving eyelids?

If dollmakers can make working eyelids, why not here? I would have liked this feature as well as a mouth which could open with an extendable tongue...
These little doable things make a huge difference and quite frankly I sort of expected to see them in this figure, but other than that I am happy with it, especially if he has soft pliable rubber or vinyl skin, not a hard exterior finish.

but you "can't always get what you want".

There's a certain point that cost does become an issue.

I defend most of their decisions in regards to this kind of thing because I can see the logic of it.

If you were SSC would you rather sell 10 fully articulated, eyeball moving, dancing, strangling, tail wagging Jabbas for $1000 or 2000 non-articulated for $120 each?

You have to do what makes sense.

I dont think adding the articulation would have put him up in the 1K range, just that we could have got a little more with a $150 throne and a $200 dollar Jabba. I dont expect him to move and do the "Han my bookie" thing, just have a little more umph. I hope he does have the "real feel" skin. The one in the case didnt look like it did, but perhaps the production model will. Im totally invested in this line, just like I was for Hasbro and just as Hasbro made some engineering decisions based on price that were dissappointing, so has SS. I just thought the whole deal with SS was we didnt necessarily have those sorts of constraints. In short, the reason given for Jabba being under engineered is one I'd expect from a major corporation like Hasbro, not SS.

I think these guys are great, but I would have liked to see it taken to the next level. Give me the option of how I want to pose my Jabba. I might have like to see him slinking down off the thrown and smacking Leia's arse or something!!! GO SMACK DAT ARSE, JABBS!!!!
jk:chew

Justin,
I like that Sideshow kept the diorama to the size that they did. I would easily fall for a Jabba Throne environement that had the steps, the rancor trp door, the archway, the weird barbeque spit behind him, the whole shebang, and I would probably pay 750.00! I am glad that Sideshow saved me from myself a little on this one, and they provided a nice sized throne, including all of the necessary elements specific to Jabba. The steps are a cool addition, but may be fruitless for those not buying Bib or (hopefully) other Jabba palace characters.

I am a little bummed about not having the little removeable tongue, so he coudl greedily lick his chops or be in his death throes. The eyelids might retract from the sculpt, so I could live without those. I expected the whole noggin to be ball jointed actually when this was first announced, so I was a little sad too that he won't be able to dance to Lapti Nek.

I can have my brown-nose stuck firmly up Sideshow's rear end when it comes to their products, but I am not blind to the things that could be improved or different choices that could be made!

Personally, I wouldn't have paid more for working eyelids on Jabba. First off why the heck does anyone want that anyway? I want his eyes open and looking out not closed. :lol He doesn't need any real articulation at all anyways. Unless you're gonna set and play with him which I think we're all too old for that he's just fine the way he is.

As far as defending SS. I will like Dave on issues like this specifically because I know SS is looking to make the best figures at the most resonable costs. I trust them enough that if something doesn't get made a certain way it's because it just wouldn't work and keep it in a price range where "most" fans could collect it.

I think more articulation would be great...but I prefer not having more "cut-joints" that would detract from the sculpt. A turning head would mean an even cut-joint across the neck which means the bulbous fat detail would have gotten in the way. And a "rubberized" Jabba in any way would probably deteriorate in time...or simply bend out in unpleasing ways.

The only thing that seems safe and that I would like to have seen was maybe a bendy tail -- at least the tip section.

Josh, the reason I mentioned articulated eyelids is because, like Galactiboy mentioned, he looks a little sleepy eyed. For his size, I think it would have been possible to have eyelids that could slide up and down underneath the surrounding skin so we could vary expression a bit.

For example:

Wided eyed when Leia Bousch presents the thermal detenator, and eyes closed when Leia tries to rescue Han.

And as DCFett says, it seems many members of this board have no qualms throwing down hundreds of dollars on PF pieces, but not so when it comes to the 1/6 line. If anything, the 1/6 line should be more costly because of all the articulation. PFs just sit there and look pretty while 1/6 figures have almost limitless posing opportunities.

I would never in a million years put a $1000 down to buy a 1:1 bust or a large PF. Even if a PF was cheaper, such as $300 or $200, I wouldn't buy it. But I would consider that kind of money with detailed, articulated, high quality 1/6 pieces.

I just don't understand why some people complain about the price of Jabba hurting their wallets, but then at the same time, talk about buying all these Premium Format Star Wars, Buffy, and Lord of the Rings pieces that cost many times more with no mention of price being a factor.

JustinLuck said:
Josh, the reason I mentioned articulated eyelids is because, like Galactiboy mentioned, he looks a little sleepy eyed. For his size, I think it would have been possible to have eyelids that could slide up and down underneath the surrounding skin so we could vary expression a bit.

Well, the thing is how long would the eyelids hold out without starting to look like crap or breaking? I personally think any of the options would eventually start to not work or break after a while. IMO that makes this feature not worth the extra time and cost to the figure.

JustinLuck said:
And as DCFett says, it seems many members of this board have no qualms throwing down hundreds of dollars on PF pieces, but not so when it comes to the 1/6 line. If anything, the 1/6 line should be more costly because of all the articulation. PFs just sit there and look pretty while 1/6 figures have almost limitless posing opportunities.

Yeah, I buy PF pieces on top of the 12" stuff. I want the best figure for the most reasonable amount of $$$. SS does that which allows me to get both lines and I love them for that. I disagree that the 1/6th scale should be more exspensive than the PF pieces. While the PF pieces don't move the amount of amount of detail in a PF piece is more, size is bigger, more material used, etc.

JustinLuck said:
I would never in a million years put a $1000 down to buy a 1:1 bust or a large PF. Even if a PF was cheaper, such as $300 or $200, I wouldn't buy it. But I would consider that kind of money with detailed, articulated, high quality 1/6 pieces.

Well, that's your call. Me personally I'd go with the PF over the 1/6 because I prefer statues over figures especially if a 1/6th was more exspensive than a PF.

JustinLuck said:
I just don't understand why some people complain about the price of Jabba hurting their wallets, but then at the same time, talk about buying all these Premium Format Star Wars, Buffy, and Lord of the Rings pieces that cost many times more with no mention of price being a factor.

I'm not gonna talk about how Jabba is hurting my wallet. The size of this guy and the detail of all the pieces is worth the money.

Back