I just can't watch Star Wars anymore....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dekadentdave said:
The casting of Ewan as Obi-Wan is the greatest stroke of casting in movie history. I mean, HE IS OBI-WAN!!! When I watch ANH I don't even see Guiness, I see old Ewan.

So for the guy who thinks Ewan sucks, I ask, whom would YOU have cast in the role?

And you don't think thats a bad thing, that you no longer see Guiness ! I feel for you...

Well obviously, you think Ewan should dictate how Obi should be in ANH.
When I watch ANH, I try to banish any thoughts that it was Ewan in his younger days.

Please, there are plenty of actors out there who would have fitted a 'young obi-wan' persona. Liam Neeson for one, would have been perfect... and cast Branagh as QuiGon instead.

screamingmetal said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Midichlorian idea. It grounded it more into science fiction and was actually a cleaver idea.
As far as destroying a mystery, I didn't think there was any mystery to destroy. Before it was just some form of sorcery, now it's a form of sorcery with an scientific explanation, it's still fantasy.

I was always uneasy with the whole Midichlorian thing when it was introduced but that was only because it was such a drastic change to the mythos. Over time it has really grown on me and I like it. Come to think of it, the only thing that I don't like about it, is that Lucas never returned to it to expand on the idea. Maybe in the future.

I think Ewan McGregor was pretty good. And he looked good doing the action scenes. I can't see Kenneth Brannaugh doing those lightsaber scenes. I see him breaking down and doing a shakespearesque monologue when maul kills qui gon. not attacking him with the full force of his jedi powers.

and i hated the midiclorians too. it seemed to be an obsession at the time to explain everything scientifically (like blade and the vampire blood virus). for me, like posterboykelly said, it killed a lot of the mystery. before i saw that the jedis were untouchable and unattainable chosen beings. then they became something from a scientific journal. lame. once you take away the faith and belief in something, it doesn't have the same meaning or power.

and it makes han look stupid in ANH when he's criticising Ben and Luke for fooling around with ridiculous old religions. because now it's scientific fact. han doesn't have a valid argument anymore because these theories have been injected into the SW universe.

(that's just my personal opinion. please don't hurt my feelings by replying aggressively. i'm just a poor boy from a poor family. and i have a heart condition).

but what the hell, i love all of them, except Phantom Menace. Other than that they all rock :chew

screamingmetal said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Midichlorian idea. It grounded it more into science fiction and was actually a cleaver idea.
As far as destroying a mystery, I didn't think there was any mystery to destroy. Before it was just some form of sorcery, now it's a form of sorcery with an scientific explanation, it's still fantasy.

But the whole saga has sci-fi stuff. Space ships, lasers, guys in robot-resperators, cabonite. The Force was that ONE thing that kinda went BEYOND all of that crap. Into something deeper. I'm not trying to win anyone to my side, just showing my point. But to each their own.

PosterBoyKelly said:
But the whole saga has sci-fi stuff. Space ships, lasers, guys in robot-resperators, cabonite. The Force was that ONE thing that kinda went BEYOND all of that crap. Into something deeper. I'm not trying to win anyone to my side, just showing my point. But to each their own.

i agree with that. i think it allowed star wars to transcend boundaries into other genres beyond just sci-fi. it had the sorcery and fantasy element to it too. that's the main reason i liked it as a kid. it combined so much.

When everything in a story gets explained, I get insulted and bored. Insulted, because I'm not an idiot who needs things explained, I can go pretty far with my own imagination, and bored because I'd rather just play with the idea myself rather than get some bogus reason that's not as fun. MAGIC!:emperor

dekadentdave said:
The casting of Ewan as Obi-Wan is the greatest stroke of casting in movie history. I mean, HE IS OBI-WAN!!! When I watch ANH I don't even see Guiness, I see old Ewan.

Brannaugh was too old. When Alien3 came out I thought Charles Dance would make a good Kenobi but again, too old.

So for the guy who thinks Ewan sucks, I ask, whom would YOU have cast in the role?

I loved Ewan in this role as well. I'm not as enthusiastic about him as Dave, 'specially when it comes to Guiness, but he did such a good job that I just can't picture anyone else in the role.

eighthsamurai said:
I think Ewan McGregor was pretty good. And he looked good doing the action scenes. I can't see Kenneth Brannaugh doing those lightsaber scenes. I see him breaking down and doing a shakespearesque monologue when maul kills qui gon. not attacking him with the full force of his jedi powers.

Of course--- as a classically trained Shakespearean actor, Branagh would have absolutely no training with sword---er, lightsaber fighting.

:google

DarthNeil said:
Of course--- as a classically trained Shakespearean actor, Branagh would have absolutely no training with sword---er, lightsaber fighting.

:google

Ian McDirmiad [sic] was a classically trained actor with almost no experience with fencing. So there ya go.

as for Ewan vs. Alec, well they way I see it, Ewan completely allowed Alec's subdued performance in the OT to dictate how he played Obi-Wan in the PT.

pixletwin said:
Ian McDirmiad [sic] was a classically trained actor with almost no experience with fencing. So there ya go.

as for Ewan vs. Alec, well they way I see it, Ewan completely allowed Alec's subdued performance in the OT to dictate how he played Obi-Wan in the PT.

Yeah and look how weak that lightsaber fight was, most of it was a CGI double. If they went with Branaugh, the duel with Maul would look as feeble as Guiness and Vader and would require extensive CGI to make it look as kinetic as what Ewan and Ray Park were able to physically achieve.

pixletwin said:

I don't think even the most youthful or limber could flip around and spin like a tornado ... I find it hard to hold it against either McDirmiad or Lee. :monkey1

I've decided that i can't watch the PT anymore(except sith once in a while)I accepted the fact that while fun to watch they suck for the most part.

Sad to say but it's true.For me it's just the OT and EU from now on.

dekadentdave said:
Yeah and look how weak that lightsaber fight was, most of it was a CGI double. If they went with Branaugh, the duel with Maul would look as feeble as Guiness and Vader and would require extensive CGI to make it look as kinetic as what Ewan and Ray Park were able to physically achieve.

My point was even though Branaugh is a classically trained actor, it doesn't guarantee a great sword fight. The context was DarthNeil's inference that Branaugh would be a great sword fighter based on his experience as a classically trained actor.

You see? You and I actually agree on this one.

Back