Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I don't presume to know what all is going on. I can say I'm no fan of Bloomberg. His priorities seem to always be out of whack. It's like he's spending valuable time trying to ban the sale of large soft drinks. Oh wait, he did that. Now he wants to make sure the marathon goes on? What a moron.

:exactly::goodpost:

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but NY is a mess and yet people there expect everything to be back to normal RIGHT NOW! They're complaining that they don't have this or this or that the mess isn't cleaned up or whatever. My goodness! Give people time to take care of things!

Hurricane Charlie destroyed Florida and we were without power for like 3 weeks almost, no air conditioner no computer no nothing, roads broke, trees fell,
of course it was not as bad as New York, we didn't get flooding or anything, but still it was 3 weeks of heat and darkness, no food, but, What can you do? nothing, just wait,

^ patience is key although it's challenging....we've been without power since Monday...I'm glad we didn't have massive damage to our property but living in the dark does get old..certainly makes you appreciate what you normally take for granted.

I can understand that. I have no idea what it's like there, but I can imagine it's hard to get anything in and out of there right now and things have to be cleared out before they can get the power on in most places. That's what I meant to say.

Bloomberg is a dunce. Just wanted to get that out. :lol

Though you can't prepare for everything, living in area where bad storms, tornadoes and heavy snow are normal, we make sure to be prepared. Hell, here if they call for a few inches of snow, there's a mad rush to the grocery stores.

We also check on neighbors and help each other in town if something happens. There would be no one eating out of dumpsters here. If the town was devistated, the nearby ones would step up.

Has help come from other states to help with power lines, etc.? I know for Katrina, there were AT&T workers here that went to New Orleans.

I really want to call my ex in SI to see how he's doing. I just don't know if I should. :(

I'm back:yess: just got power a half hour ago and its been a hell of a week so far. So glad to get home today after work to find the lights on, its been getting cold at night and theres a possible snow storm coming this wensday, its dropping to near frezzing tonight. Gas is near impossible to get now and I have been going to work all week but now I don't have enought to get there tommorrow:monkey2 Anyway just wanted to check in and give best wishes to those suffering lost from the storm. Maybe now I can eat something other than peanut butter and jelly samwiches:lol

46000_488206667867870_1003193330_n.jpg

One of the best shows on TV.

Yeah I don't presume to know what all is going on. I can say I'm no fan of Bloomberg. His priorities seem to always be out of whack. It's like he's spending valuable time trying to ban the sale of large soft drinks. Oh wait, he did that. Now he wants to make sure the marathon goes on? What a moron.

As a New Yorker, I can say that your analysis is very accurate. Bloomberg is just a terrible mayor. He canceled the marathon last minute due to mounting pressure. To think, that he would have rather dedicated important resources like food, water and power generators to marathon runners, instead of the people in Staten Island who lost their homes and need those resources the most.

I think he believes himself to be some sort of small overlord, or authoritarian dictator.

I'm back:yess: just got power a half hour ago and its been a hell of a week so far. So glad to get home today after work to find the lights on, its been getting cold at night and theres a possible snow storm coming this wensday, its dropping to near frezzing tonight. Gas is near impossible to get now and I have been going to work all week but now I don't have enought to get there tommorrow:monkey2 Anyway just wanted to check in and give best wishes to those suffering lost from the storm. Maybe now I can eat something other than peanut butter and jelly samwiches:lol

What part of the City are you in ?

What part of the City are you in ?

I'm not in the city, I'm on long island, just got power back tonight:yess: I did pretty well concidering the mess this storm has left in its wake, no damage to the house just some broken tree branchs and no power til today, the neaborhood is a mess with down trees and south of me just a few miles got flooded and houses are destroyed. The biggest issues are food and gas. I though out all the food in my fridge this morning and I got less than a quarter tank of gas. The island is pretty well out of gas in most parts and if there is any to be had you can expect to wait on line as long as 8 hours.

Just happy to finally have power cause its been getting cold at night the past few days and is dropping to near freezing tonight. I did some cleaning around the house, made a hot cup of coffee and took a nice long hot shower, you don't know how much you miss the simple things til you don't have them.

I missed most of the coverage about this as I don't watch the news but from the little I've seen it looks horrific.

I sincerely wish you all the very best and hope that those most severely hit can at least get their basic services back.

Stay safe and warm everyone and I hope things get better, sooner rather than later.
Shell
x :1-1:

8 days!

We spent 8 days without power thanks to Sandy. We live about 3-4 miles inland from the beach. We were very lucky, though. We didn't have any trees down on our property, only a few fence panels (the posts snapped and will have to be replaced) and plenty of smaller branches and such. We still had gas so we could cook, and we have a gas fireplace so at least we could stay warm in one room. We live next door to a fire station, which has an enormous oil-powered generator, and they were kind enough to let us plug in an extension cord so we could power our fridge and recharge our phones. But we didn't ask them til several days after we lost power, so we ended up throwing away much of our fridge items (it did give us the opportunity to clean the fridge, though!). So all in all we really weren't that bad off.

We live on a tidal creek in the back of the house, but we were the cut-off for evacuation. Just a few houses up the street had some moderate flooding. We took a walk the day after the storm and saw the water had risen well onto the street just a few houses up, judging from the debris.

We could see a telephone/light pole leaning at a 45° angle about 4 or 5 houses down the street, a few down cables here and there, and a tree that was resting on power lines at the house across the street. Down the block across the street we saw a huge tree uprooted that took down another huge tree, both of which miraculously missed the houses (just a slight graze to one of them).

The real frustrating part of the whole experience is that we didn't really see any activity from the power company for most of the time. A few days after the storm we had a couple of JCPL guys checking out the damage. Then a few days after that there were a couple of JCPL guys parked under the leaning tree for a day to baby sit it. Then a couple of days after that they finally started working on it. They installed a new pole next to the leaning pole two days ago, then yesterday they did all the connections. It's frustrating that basically all the work was done in maybe half a day total (since the damage in our immediate area wasn't too bad), but it took them 8 days to get to us.

Anyway, glad to be back and glad we didn't have any serious damage!

Now onto winter storm Athena...:slap

A Central Florida electrical worker assisting with ongoing power outages caused by Superstorm Sandy in New York was seriously injured in an unprovoked attack, officials said.
Police say someone apparently upset about not having power, approached this man and punched him as he stepped out of his utility truck.

John Applewhite, 34, of Lakeland, suffered a black eye, a broken jaw and several other broken bones in the attack, which occurred Friday on Long Island.

Applewhite, who is recovering at a Lakeland hospital, will have a plate put in his face and his jaw has been wired shut, officials said.

John-Applewhite.jpg

Last edited:
I hope that they catch the ********* who assaulted that worker. Poor Guy.

It's strange that the news articles didn't mention which part in Long Island the attack took place. LIPA restored power to most of LI, except for places like Long Beach.

Back