HT Predator 2 BATTLE DAMAGED!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read the rest of this thread so someone might have already complained.
For me, this news just pisses me off. Hot Toys never said anything about a second version and even went so far to say that there wouldn't be a second version (or maybe that the battle damaged one wasn't something they made but photoshopped). This HT second dipping is really starting to piss me off, I'd rather spend an extra $30 for the regular to come with an extra head and possibly a second arm then another $120+. That and the fact they never mentioned before that there would be two versions is really souring me on their Products.

It looks like I'll have to start hoping that second head will turn up on Ebay for less then $30 and I'm able to buy one.

Either Hot Toys should stop double dipping on characters or inform their customers that there will be another version of the same character down the road when they offer the first version.
As you can tell, I'm not at all happy with the news. :tap

I haven't read the rest of this thread so someone might have already complained.
For me, this news just pisses me off. Hot Toys never said anything about a second version and even went so far to say that there wouldn't be a second version (or maybe that the battle damaged one wasn't something they made but photoshopped). This HT second dipping is really starting to piss me off, I'd rather spend an extra $30 for the regular to come with an extra head and possibly a second arm then another $120+. That and the fact they never mentioned before that there would be two versions is really souring me on their Products.

It looks like I'll have to start hoping that second head will turn up on Ebay for less then $30 and I'm able to buy one.

Either Hot Toys should stop double dipping on characters or inform their customers that there will be another version of the same character down the road when they offer the first version.
As you can tell, I'm not at all happy with the news. :tap

Uh, incase you haven't noticed, they're a business. If they tell you that they're going to release a second version of the same character they just released alittle while later, it'll hurt the sales of the first version because people will be too busy waiting for the second version to come out.

They said the same about the not making a P1 and P2 Predators back when they were selling they AVP stuff, because it wouldve most likely, as stated above, hurt their sales for the AVP stuff.

Either way, you still have the option of not buying it. Business-wise, it's a good decision.

Uh, incase you haven't noticed, they're a business. If they tell you that they're going to release a second version of the same character they just released alittle while later, it'll hurt the sales of the first version because people will be too busy waiting for the second version to come out.

They said the same about the not making a P1 and P2 Predators back when they were selling they AVP stuff, because it wouldve most likely, as stated above, hurt their sales for the AVP stuff.

Either way, you still have the option of not buying it. Business-wise, it's a good decision.

Not a good decision if it pisses off their customers. And the reason they didn't announce Pred-1 or Pred-2 at the same time was because they didn't have the licenses. And most Predator 1 fans didn't buy AVP Predators because they hate the movie. Those of us that did buy them, just love Predators and would've bought the Pred-1 figure regardless of whether they own the AVP figures or not. I think most don't think of the two licenses as being similar enough to effect their purchases.
Do I have the option of un-buying the first Predator 2 release because I'd rather have this version? No. Sell it? Sure, but I'd rather not have to go through all that.
All I'm asking is that they inform their customers to expect a variant sometime in the future at the time they start offering the first version for sale. Most other companies that release variants do this, such as Neca did with the recent AVPR Wolf variant figure.

Not a good decision if it pisses off their customers. And the reason they didn't announce Pred-1 or Pred-2 at the same time was because they didn't have the licenses. And most Predator 1 fans didn't buy AVP Predators because they hate the movie. Those of us that did buy them, just love Predators and would've bought the Pred-1 figure regardless of whether they own the AVP figures or not. I think most don't think of the two licenses as being similar enough to effect their purchases.
Do I have the option of un-buying the first Predator 2 release because I'd rather have this version? No. Sell it? Sure, but I'd rather not have to go through all that.
All I'm asking is that they inform their customers to expect a variant sometime in the future at the time they start offering the first version for sale. Most other companies that release variants do this, such as Neca did with the recent AVPR Wolf variant figure.

m8 i agree with you a 100%, but like rob said Ht is out foir business and business wise, i have to tell you they made the right desicion. and you cant compare NECA to HT, necas products go for 12- 15, and they have a whole different base of consumers. i dont believe you'd find any 13 yearolds buying ht figures...

actualy you'd be suprised just how many companies do things that they KNOW will piss off their customers, and probobly cost them Some buisness. The trick is not doing it to an extreme. if they make a move that pisses of, say, 100 people, but gets them 200 new customers, then they consider to have made a good buisness decision. the old concept of "the customer is allways right" is long since dead. now it's more along the lines of " we will tell the customer what they want". Yes, in some ways it's a dick move, but on the whole, I'm sure the One armed preds WILL sell out, for example. And as such, it is a sucsess, even if they irratated , say 10% of their customer base. :rolleyes:

At this point you can expect that any non-human base body figure will have at least 1 or 2 variants. And HT is smart, but including an open mouth head with the second figure they'll attract more buyers. Sure I'd like to just spend some extra money and get both heads... but that helps me, not them as a business.

And honestly with the amount of $$$ they must invest when they make a new Predator, Alien, Robocop, etc body... I'm okay if they spread it out so they can continue to see these releases as viable for them.

At this point you can expect that any non-human base body figure will have at least 1 or 2 variants. And HT is smart, but including an open mouth head with the second figure they'll attract more buyers. Sure I'd like to just spend some extra money and get both heads... but that helps me, not them as a business.

And honestly with the amount of $$$ they must invest when they make a new Predator, Alien, Robocop, etc body... I'm okay if they spread it out so they can continue to see these releases as viable for them.

Agreed. Its how they make money to further their business. Why be angry about how a company makes its money. For every one angry customers there are probably 10 who are happy anyway.

Agreed. Its how they make money to further their business. Why be angry about how a company makes its money. For every one angry customers there are probably 10 who are happy anyway.

Hey this is mild, you wanna hear bellyaching check out the SW section... oh no a kickass figure is $65?!? What to do?!?

Hey this is mild, you wanna hear bellyaching check out the SW section... oh no a kickass figure is $65?!? What to do?!?

:lol :lol

I hate the SW section. I post and go. Usually I cant even read the crap fest that every thread turns into.

Yeah, I think I posted some stuff on the Sideshow comments section complaining about the SW 12" prices partially 'cause I'm in a bad mood...:rolleyes:
But this announcement really got my blood flowing... the body's spattered w/ blood anyway, which is sweet - it's a re-sculpt AND a repaint. It's friggin' sweet... b'sides, I think they're like SS - they're careful what they do or do not announce.
Interestingly enough (or maybe it's freaky..>?) I just got a total Deja-vou - something involving the Alien Queen :)confused:)
AAAAAAnywho, speaking of the QUEEN, they don't want to announce it for SURE unless they know they're going to pull her off (which they will, 'cause they take s#$t on that no one else will); basically, unlike SOME companies that announce figures and THEN cancel production, HOT TOYS and SIDESHOW announce something when they know, for SURE, that it's on it's way. Granted, I wish they'd make more of those "interview" announcements (they're just awesome... "PREDATOR 1 HUMAN FIGS.?!??! THE QUEEN's ON THE TABLE!!!! MY HEART!!!O!*#*)

I'm gettin' this one for a couple of reasons,
One, spare change out head. I don't care about the blood etc. I'll just paint it to match my other one for an open mouth head variant (I may even put the spare head on a specially made little base...)
Two, spare armor for another lost hunter warrior
Three, hopefully more spare accessories for the "main" P2.
Four, just to have it.

Great job on that head though.
I wonder if we see this with P1, two variant figures rather than one with two heads? Would work, have one as the Hunter, and one to fight Arnold.

Same for me bro, the headsculpt and the arm sell it to me. Seeing as i collect only Alien/Predator stuff its not too bad but i feel for the broader collector.
On the other hand im kinda sick of variants that reuse everything but a head and a few minor details

I think it's a matter of culture clash. From what I can figure, the Asian market seems to accept as common place after-the-fact exclusives (the Ani-Com Predator), drasticly changing production size runs after soliciting (the first Superman), second runs of supposedly limited runs (the first Superman I hear) and later versions that offer more value added for the same or less price (Robocop anyone?). American consumers tend to get pissed.

I'd like to believe that with the release of Blister exclusives here through Sideshow that Hot Toys is sensitive of pissing us off, but it might have just been dollar signs that drove them to doing it. They're trying to train us, I think. I do believe that if Sideshow tried to pull what Hot Toys routinley does, they wouldn't be able to stay in business.

I think it's a matter of culture clash. From what I can figure, the Asian market seems to accept as common place after-the-fact exclusives (the Ani-Com Predator), drasticly changing production size runs after soliciting (the first Superman), second runs of supposedly limited runs (the first Superman I hear) and later versions that offer more value added for the same or less price (Robocop anyone?). American consumers tend to get pissed.

I'd like to believe that with the release of Blister exclusives here through Sideshow that Hot Toys is sensitive of pissing us off, but it might have just been dollar signs that drove them to doing it. They're trying to train us, I think. I do believe that if Sideshow tried to pull what Hot Toys routinley does, they wouldn't be able to stay in business.

I'm not sure "accept" is the word I'd use, but I would certainly agree that collectors here (in Japan, anyway) have at least become tolerant to the kind of practices you mention. Maybe "numb" would be a better word for it. That isn't to say everyone likes it, but the "if you build it, they will buy" formula is widely practiced nowadays, with a lot of success. Hot Toys has taken this to the next level lately by getting licenses that appeal to a much wider range of collectors. I don't know if they're intentionally trying to "train" us, as you say, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was even partly true!

From what I've noticed over the years, collectors (here) are for the most part extremely picky, and tastes tend to change every time the wind blows. This could be an underlying reason for why companies tend to milk the crap out of something when they hit on a good thing. I think collectors here have pretty much come to expect it.

I also hate to feel like I'm being "milked" in situations like this, nevertheless I did buy all of the AvP Predators and a couple of the alien variants, too. But my reasons for doing so may be different from other collectors. I did it for the same reason as Les and the others who want the extra equipment and stuff. I know I'll be glad I have all that later on.

That said, I'm still kind of on the fence for this guy, but in the end I'll more than likely cave. If he came with 2 heads and some extra left hands, or an opening medkit with instruments, that would clinch the deal for me. I think I'll wait to see what the SSC variant looks like, though. The respirator mask would be a really unique accessory to have, especially on top of all the other stuff the basic BD variant comes with.

Well guys i think it comes down to how much you love your Predator items and how much your willing to spend at the end of the day

Okay, I read the whole thread, but I didn't notice my questions so here goes:

Is this version of P2 going to have an interchangable set of arms (so you can display him with both arms or missing one) or is it just going to be a stump version (similar to battle-damaged ED-209)? Will he come with a battle mask?

Okay, I read the whole thread, but I didn't notice my questions so here goes:

Is this version of P2 going to have an interchangable set of arms (so you can display him with both arms or missing one) or is it just going to be a stump version (similar to battle-damaged ED-209)? Will he come with a battle mask?

dont know yet, we'll have to wait for official specs and see.

I reckon only a chopped off arm will be included, thats why they released this and the regular P2

Hot toys arent that generous

Will he come with a battle mask?

The newsletter hints at it.

Keep a close lookout for the next dynamic model kit from Hot Toys, the Battle Damaged Predator from 'Predator 2'! This very detailed kit will be available in limited edition at SideshowCollectibles.com, plus a special version will be available only from Sideshow that includes an exclusive accessory - a removable Predator mask! Don't want to miss your chance to have this outstanding figure? Watch our upcoming newsletters for Pre-Ordering information and more details!

Back