HT- M ICON- MIS09- Michael Jackson (Thriller version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT- M ICON- MIS09- Michael Jackson (Thriller version)-Link to buy from SS in 1st

Just picked up this guy. The likeness seems much better in person, I was really scared i wouldnt like it but I do.

Re: HT- M ICON- MIS09- Michael Jackson (Thriller version)-Link to buy from SS in 1st

This is a real nice figure.. but as has been said many times in this thread.. it is just such a shame we did not get the prototype head.. When I first saw the proto for the MJ Thriller I thought the likeness was just perfect, it was my most desired hot toys HS.. so as much as I like this figure, it is also my greatest dissapointment we didn't get the proto head. The prototype headsculpt was much more refined, and as others have said this smile seems "forced" on the production HS. The serious look was a much better look for this figure, but even the smile (if they were going to go down that route) should have been alot wider (showing his teeth), MJ had a very wide and contagious smile (it would have also suited the music video better). It just doesn't appear as refined as HT others headsculpts, due to a "smile" being forced last minute due to licensing issues, the pity being that the proto head was very refined.. this new production head not only loses the refinement due to forced smile, but also makes his face look a little too full

I also remember at one point Hot Toys were thinking of releasing that proto head due to high demand.. not sure what happened there? as I say I still love this figure.. but out of all regrets of not getting to have originally released/leaked proto heads, this is at the top of my list, knowing what it could have been

This is a real nice figure.. but as has been said many times in this thread.. it is just such a shame we did not get the prototype head.. When I first saw the proto for the MJ Thriller I thought the likeness was just perfect, it was my most desired hot toys HS.. so as much as I like this figure, it is also my greatest dissapointment we didn't get the proto head. The prototype headsculpt was much more refined, and as others have said this smile seems "forced" on the production HS. The serious look was a much better look for this figure, but even the smile (if they were going to go down that route) should have been alot wider (showing his teeth), MJ had a very wide and contagious smile (it would have also suited the music video better). It just doesn't appear as refined as HT others headsculpts, due to a "smile" being forced last minute due to licensing issues, the pity being that the proto head was very refined.. this new production head not only loses the refinement due to forced smile, but also makes his face look a little too full

I also remember at one point Hot Toys were thinking of releasing that proto head due to high demand.. not sure what happened there? as I say I still love this figure.. but out of all regrets of not getting to have originally released/leaked proto heads, this is at the top of my list, knowing what it could have been

I know what you mean, but once this guy was in hand and the more I look at it, I do see a strong likeness in the headsculpt, its just a very weird expression. He's half smiling or something, im not really sure. It doesnt really look that bad to me honestly and im happy I got it, but I understand the proto looked much much better.

Where did you hear they were thinking of releasing the proto head?

I know what you mean, but once this guy was in hand and the more I look at it, I do see a strong likeness in the headsculpt, its just a very weird expression. He's half smiling or something, im not really sure. It doesnt really look that bad to me honestly and im happy I got it, but I understand the proto looked much much better.

Where did you hear they were thinking of releasing the proto head?

Yes it is a great figure for sure. The likenes is definitely there. I hate when people bash this figure because it is still an awesome figure. I just took it personally because of how much I instantly loved the proto lol, could tell alot of love went into it. As for where I heard that, Hot Toys mentioned it on their facebook a while back (shortly after release) or some Q&A thing I think, but they definitely said due to high demand they will keep it in mind for some sort of later release.. but maybe they meant his mannerism or facial expression they'll keep in mind, which is very similar to the one in 'Beat It' so maybe that's all it was

Last edited:

Just a reminder...

v2zaz9.jpg

For me, i like the production head, i like that there is a contrast one looks happy and the other looks, well... zombified.

I do agree that a nice wide MJ smile would have been better than what we got but still, i really like this figure a lot... i wish i could find a second body cheap to display both versions.

My only real complaint is i still have a hard time with the facial hair... it's more noticeable than it should be for that scale.

M.

Just a reminder...

v2zaz9.jpg

For me, i like the production head, i like that there is a contrast one looks happy and the other looks, well... zombified.

I do agree that a nice wide MJ smile would have been better than what we got but still, i really like this figure a lot... i wish i could find a second body cheap to display both versions.

My only real complaint is i still have a hard time with the facial hair... it's more noticeable than it should be for that scale.

M.

If you can display both normal and zombie versions together it for sure makes a good display and a nice contrast. As for the body - I am sure Hot Toys will release another african-american slim body, it is just a matter of time.

Just a reminder...

v2zaz9.jpg

M.

That picture really shows how much better it used to look compared to the finished product. I find these two spot on..the finished one, although nice enough..definitely not as accurate.

That picture really shows how much better it used to look compared to the finished product. I find these two spot on..the finished one, although nice enough..definitely not as accurate.

Not as accurate, no. As you know, they had to change it because the family/estate wanted Michael depictaed happy at the time and not serious. I really wish they hadn't interveined. Obviously the sculptor had to somewhat rush the end portrait to get it out as well. I try my hardest to forget, but that proto just looked too good. It's like.. we know it's a good figure, but we also know it could have been better, we saw the evidence. It's not just wanting it to be better, but a better likeness was taken from us.. but anyway.. :wink1:

Where can one get an extra body for the zombie outfit? Is it the advanced Obama version?

No its the slim one I believe, with the terrence howard head.

$140 shipped?? Wow... Does HT only do one run for these?? It'd be cheaper to buy 2 Thrillers...

Wow! When I bought the slim it was only like 34 shipped.

So will the TTM-15 simply not fit at all? Most of the listings I'm checking out on eBay seems to be trying to sell it with a TTM-15 as though it will, which is pretty mis-leading if it's a total dud.

Feet pegs are different on the AA Slim, so, not compatible with Obama TT... misleading indeed...

Thanks for answering, was close to falling for it.

Can not wait for Smoothe Criminal... :D

How much does this figure go for nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back