HT DX05 - Indiana Jones - in-hand images

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jim007, pm sent

Hey RJ love your work! Tell me how you got the sweat look and the reddish in the face, you use washes, dry brush, varnish, if you used varnish, did you dilute it in some water, please let me know, I want to experiment with it, do you think I can do it. :pray:

I was not sure at the beginning with this figure, but he's Ford, no doubt. I just gave some colour to his face and chest with pastels and removed the guy-liner.

Indy015.jpg

Indy037.jpg

Indy039.jpg

:wink1:Thanks superman, yes the shadow on his face help to the likeness a bit but I think the trick of the guy-liner removed helps more to this

Nice custom paintwork. The shadow covering the left nostril really hides the one area the sculpt has a problem by giving the illusion the nose is wider than it really is. I love how you have been able to replicate the sweat and proper facial color. Your work is definitely a must.

Yes, I have used paint washes to change the overall skin tone at first time but then I have gone to the drybrush technique for the red areas and stubble. Finally I paint some hair on the beard and chest with a little brush, a few retouches with that.
One of the thing that help a lot with the likeness is remove the guy-liner. This is one of the more important step for the final look as Harrison Ford.

I have used a matte varnish diluted in water (MARABU AQUA MATTLACK ) with airbrush to seal all the paintjob but this make a few gloss effect, depends of the proportions varnish-water. And then, with a fine brush, I have applied the sweat effect with another gloss varnish in specific areas

Hey RJ love your work! Tell me how you got the sweat look and the reddish in the face, you use washes, dry brush, varnish, if you used varnish, did you dilute it in some water, please let me know, I want to experiment with it, do you think I can do it. :pray:

:wink1:Thanks superman, yes the shadow on his face help to the likeness a bit but I think the trick of the guy-liner removed helps more to this

Yes, I have used paint washes to change the overall skin tone at first time but then I have gone to the drybrush technique for the red areas and stubble. Finally I paint some hair on the beard and chest with a little brush, a few retouches with that.
One of the thing that help a lot with the likeness is remove the guy-liner. This is one of the more important step for the final look as Harrison Ford.

I have used a matte varnish diluted in water (MARABU AQUA MATTLACK ) with airbrush to seal all the paintjob but this make a few gloss effect, depends of the proportions varnish-water. And then, with a fine brush, I have applied the sweat effect with another gloss varnish in specific areas

Thanks for the tips RJ, I was hoping you would say drybrushing is better for this, I love drybrushing, in case you haven't noticed. I'm going to try some more red to the cheeks, but I have to really experiment with it. Yesterday I started, and half way through the problem I faced was that I started to lose the intensity and essence of Ford in the facial structure :gah:. So I had to redux it with more subtly. maybe I'll just add the sweat to it instead. hmm decisions :slap :thud:

Your custom paint and sweat job definitely looks the best of the bunch so far. How much do you charge for working on someones?

Yikes. Guys, $250 figure - be careful out there!

I just don't want everyone to suddenly feel that painting these heads is a breeze and pick up a brush and dive in. There are pro painters available on these boards for as little as $50 for an awesome job if you think it needs work.

I'm going to disagree and tell them to dive right in. If they use acylics they can always wash it off and start again.

Now, if they are going to start removing original paint then I would tell them to be careful or use a less expensive head. Even then if they want to dive in dive in.

Okay I had to go for this!
Mola Ram...Suka Ram...Mola Ram...Suka Ram

IMG_0870-1.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

Last edited:
How do you remove layers of acrylics without harming the original factory paint?

they won't be applying layers and layers of paint. As beginners they'll move slow with a tendency to be overly careful. And even if they glob on the paint they'll be able to remove it before it dries completely.

they won't be applying layers and layers of paint. As beginners they'll move slow with a tendency to be overly careful. And even if they glob on the paint they'll be able to remove it before it dries completely.

Soap and warm water, the key to drybrushing is a lot of water dilution to the paint, then blotting the brush on a tray or paper towel (what I use, anyway) and just lightly brushing the surface, q-tips dipped in a warm water/ liquid soap or dishwashing soap, work the best for me as well, to get rub the paint off.

A method I use is after I brush the surface, is to take a piece of paper towel and blot or rub gently over the surface this makes it spread more evenly, or at least works for me anyway.

Soap and warm water, the key to drybrushing is a lot of water dilution to the paint, then blotting the brush on a tray or paper towel (what I use, anyway) and just lightly brushing the surface, q-tips dipped in a warm water/ liquid soap or dishwashing soap, work the best for me as well, to get rub the paint off.

A method I use is after I brush the surface, is to take a piece of paper towel and blot or rub gently over the surface this makes it spread more evenly, or at least works for me anyway.
Don't get me wrong if people can find a way to ____ things up they will. There is definitely a technique when it comes to painting(drybrush, watercolor, etc). However, the only way to learn is to just get in there and do it. Would this Indy be the place to start? Probably not (SS would be better), but you can't really mess it up unless you use enamel or are all thumbs like autobotjohn.

You cannot wash acrylic paint off once it dries. It becomes water proof ( that's the nature of acrylic) and it also stains the porous paint/plastic beneath. It's great to work with whilst damp. But the red especially will stain he paint work underneath.
I used acrylic paint to stain/dye my clothes as well. As soon as it dries, you can wash the clothes again but nothing comes off. So do be careful..

And guyver? That's not dry brushing, dry brushing doesn't use very much water (hence the name) what you describe is staining. Blotting, dabbing paint solutions as I described above. I agree this is the best way to paint this sculpt.

You cannot wash acrylic paint off once it dries. It becomes water proof ( that's the nature of acrylic) and it also stains the porous paint/plastic beneath. It's great to work with whilst damp. But the red especially will stain he paint work underneath.
I used acrylic paint to stain/dye my clothes as well. As soon as it dries, you can wash the clothes again but nothing comes off. So do be careful..

And guyver? That's not dry brushing, dry brushing doesn't use very much water (hence the name) what you describe is staining. Blotting, dabbing paint solutions as I described above. I agree this is the best way to paint this sculpt.

Okay, I stand corrected, but I do know how to drybrush, and used drybrush on mine as well.

Wow great set up for your Indy Dollmanron! :clap

Still love seeing all the awesome new photos everyone is putting up... it's nice to see people that like their Indy's and are showing them off.

Back