HT Aliens and Power Loader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES! This is awesome news! Both of them look great, it looks like I'll have to save some more to buy another damn Ripley. I really hope Hot Toys releases another Ripley as shown with no accessories so I can afford a second one.

The Alien Warrior looks fantastic, they didn't cheapen out and reuse the AVP sculpt! Now I hope Sideshow will offer a special price on Multiples of that Warrior, one just wont cut it.

What a pleasant surprise to wake to. :D

Welcome to the board usmcchet9296!

The Power Loader and the Alien are so cool! I'm getting both! Though I wonder about the movability of the Power Loader. Judging from the preview picture, it looks like the elbow joint of the Power Loader's left "arm" can't move. I could be wrong (i hope I am!), but to me it looks like that. If that is so, the Power loader should definitely be less expensive than the ED209 (gosh, I love that ED209!).https://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/movability.html

Albeit this IMO cooler Aliens-Alien is coming up, I'm still not canceling the AvP brown Alien. The movie was bad, but the Alien design was good. Not as good as the original Alien design, but still.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/member.php?u=1506

i love the new alien. thats the one ive been waiting for!

Cant wait to see more pics of the powerloader as well as the other stuff from toyfair.

I wonder how big the box for the loader will be and i cant wait to see a size comparison . Btw i too am wondering how articulated the loader will be . Either ways! im getting at least 1

SS should just let Hot Toys make all their 1/6 lines from now on and just concentrate on their PF's and Busts.

Amazing releases like this only make Sideshow's own 1/6 product look even more inept IMO. The Power Loader likely required as much or maybe more R & D than any armored SW figure yet instead of fobbing Aliens fans off with lame excuses Hot Toys still went ahead and did it and I'm sure the Alien Queen will follow in the near future. With Hot Toys continuing to push the boundaries of what can be achieved in 1/6 scale and Medicom also having a strong showing at Toyfair Sideshow have got to pull off nothing less than a miracle with their own 1/6 figures if they are going to compete because right now they aren't in the same league as either.

customizerwannabe said:
That'd be great if we wanted to pay in the 150.00 range for every 1/6 figure. I for one, do not!

The prices are high but the quality is so much better it's usually worth the extra $.
Even if Sideshow were to improve the quality of their 1/6 figures to Hot Toys or Medicom levels of quality there's little chance that the prices would remain the same. I guess it depends on whether you want a genuinely "high end" 1/6 figure or something that's decidedly inferior.

customizerwannabe said:
That'd be great if we wanted to pay in the 150.00 range for every 1/6 figure. I for one, do not!

I doubt that. HT's production numbers for their figures are not that high, I'm sure with SS help would make them higher, like in the case of SW. I'd pay $90 a pop for figures and up to 130 as I've paid for other quality Hot Toys figures.

I've paid over 200.00 a figure and that's ok now and then, but a SW line that will have over 20 figures? No thanks. While the LOTR line needs help, I think the SW line is pretty decent. I much prefer HT quality. They RARELY disappoint, while SS disappoints on a semi-regular basis. The Predator and Aliens lines are incredible and SS couldn't have done it without their usual corner cutting. If they could produce enough to drop the HT figs to 90.00 I'd be all over it.

bcm77 said:
Amazing releases like this only make Sideshow's own 1/6 product look even more inept IMO. The Power Loader likely required as much or maybe more R & D than any armored SW figure yet instead of fobbing Aliens fans off with lame excuses Hot Toys still went ahead and did it and I'm sure the Alien Queen will follow in the near future. With Hot Toys continuing to push the boundaries of what can be achieved in 1/6 scale and Medicom also having a strong showing at Toyfair Sideshow have got to pull off nothing less than a miracle with their own 1/6 figures if they are going to compete because right now they aren't in the same league as either.
The Hot Toys figures look good, not necessarily better then Sideshow's offerings. The only issues I see with Sideshow are their head sculpts missing the mark or the factory paint jobs being poor. Sideshow does need to improve their basic body and accessories a bit, but if you compare them with what Hot Toys or Medicom first started using you'd see that for a time, Sideshow's bodies were just as good if not better in some aspects.
Hot Toys recycles a lot of their head sculpts and accessories so even though they can spread the cost out over a few releases, their figures are still high priced.
And HT paint jobs can be bad, worse then some of Sideshow's worse offerings and yet more expensive.
In the past, Hot Toys basic bodies were terrible, they all had extremely long arms. It's only been a couple of years or so since HT fixed that problem. HT also screwed up the proportions on their weapons, for many years their weapons were out of scale being too large. Sideshow never had this problem.

Medicom figures are Way overpriced. For what you get, Sideshow is the better value. Sometimes Medicom will make a great costume. Better then what Sideshow has done in the past and they deserve credit for it, but it's rare that one of theirs is worth the $100 +.
Just compare the new Snake Guns Of The Patriots figure to Sideshow's Creature From The Black Lagoon figure. Snake has a few more accessories and a tactical vest, yet he'll easily be much more expensive than Sideshow's figure.
Most Medicom Figures should at least be the price of Sideshow's Star Wars figures. And without Sideshow importing these Medicom figures, you would be paying double what you are now.
Medicom however misses the mark on likenesses frequently. I think it's rare that they actually nail a likeness, it's far more common with Sideshow.
As far as pushing boundaries, Both Hot Toys and Medicom are playing catch up to Dragon and Dragon In Dream. Dragon especially paved the way long before Hot Toys got around to what they're doing today.
Just Look at DID's Samurais. They're a little more than an imported Medicom figure, and they far exceed Medicom's quality.

Again I say, the Power Loader is a must. Absolutely. And it almost guarantees a Queen in the line.
But, I am not sold on that Alien warrior just yet. Must see floor shots at the show first. SOMEONE, please get us some good ones!:D

"And without Sideshow importing these figures I would be paying double what I am now"
Seeing as I live in the UK and usually have to pay more than US collectors anyway it hardly makes much difference to me whether Sideshow import Medicom and Hot Toys figures or not and in some cases I actually save money by ordering from Hong Kong or Japan (my RAH Boba Fett will cost approx $140 shipped to the UK from Hobbylink Japan compared to $150 plus shipping from Sideshow).
But that aside you made some intresting points,I admit my knowledge of 1/6 figures isn't huge as I've only been collecting that scale for just over a year but based on the figures I've bought and seen in that time Sideshow are currently some way behind the best efforts of other 1/6 companies,particularly with things like the quality of the outfits and production figures looking the same as the protos.
As much as I like them I do not think Medicom and Hot Toys are perfect,each has issues that have been discussed many times and I agree they are overpriced,but I feel the Sideshow figures are too. I can't comment on Dragon or DID figures as I've not really seen any pics of them,but right now I feel Medicom & HT are making the best quality 1/6 figures from the licenses I'm most intrested in and of characters I actually want so they will get my cash until someone else does a better job .

I'm so sold on a HT Aliens Warrior I can't contain myself.

I think when we see what my/our genuis hero Howard Chan came up with we'll be very happy..:cool:

Batty said:
Les, you doubt HT's ability to bring us an amazing Alien warrior? :lol

Yes. I mean, don't get me wrong, I WILL be getting the figure! :duh

BUT...any company can jump the shark bro.
That photo is just not as on as I had hoped for. I mean, they (HT) have been pretty much SPOT ON so far in quality and image of the released figures they have produced, even the AVP line, but the image that has been released of this ALIENS version warrior, is not that close if compared to how good a job they've done before now.

Remember, I have been staring at images of ALIENS for months now, workingon some customs and repainting some other sculpts, since my trip to L.A. and to Bob's basement, and I have seen things, you people haven't even dreamed of....(oops!, sorry...a Roy Batty moment there...:D ), but yes, I can doubt.

When I see better shots, and am sure they have captured the look of an alien in that movie accurately, I will be on board and throw all the halleluiahs to the wind.

Sorry to be such a putz, but I have had a LOT of hopes on the HT line to be the very best...I won't let up just because of an announcement.

If nothing else, note this, that I put together for reference in the last month or so:

ALIENWARRIORDRONEChart3Aliens01A.jpg

Does this ad below not look a bit off, or at least, MESSY, compared to the above refs?

HTALiensw.jpg

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.
And I will be a holdin' one as soon as they come out! One way or the other!

I just hold HT to some higher standards, since they are gonna charge me higher prices.

You're right Les, there are some very subtle differences everywhere. The most obvious one is a very smooth tube like form on the side of the head that slightly curves down into what I would call a check bone. On the figure I can't see that line, what is there is a segmented form that actually curves the opposite direction it should.
There are some deviations from the design and if they're enough to decide not to buy then you'd be making the right decision.

I personally don't find too much issue with it.

There's a hell of a lot of light playing on that dome in that prod shot too IMO. I need to see the vtr and a few floor shots to really see what's going on there...

You're right bcm77, being outside the US does mean much higher shipping costs. I paid around $180 for my Medicom Spider-Man 2 figure which includes shipping. Had I bought that same figure from Sideshow, it would've been around $120. Or I could've gone a cheaper route and got one from a US dealer for around $100 shipped.
So I'm seeing an obvious difference which others would not.
Sideshow and other companies are making improvements slowly over time, I've definitely seen the difference from all, but I agree Sideshow seems to be lagging a little behind others. I just wouldn't go so far to say that they're not in the same league. Sideshow was the first and for a long time the only company that had excellent wrist articulation. It's something that Hot Toys copied and improved upon.

Back