Howard Chan Interview Session - Toy People - trans. by Charles Lim (UPDATED Oct 3)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Howard Chan Interview Session - Toy People - trans. by Charles Lim

Not a Star Trek fan, so no Star Trek products = My respect for Hot Toys has decreased. It's not always all about what YOU'RE a fan of lol. Though he is right, there isn't much variety there.

WZ8xhWQ.png

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKPFAkP0bg[/ame]

Screw Howard. I've lost my respect for him... he's ignoring the best sci-fi franchise of our time because he's not a fan... and then he goes on to say there aren't many characters to explore, really? And the costumes are similar? Maybe if he was a fan he'd know better.

The only thing that motivates Hot Toys and Howard Chan is the bottom line. Its really a shame that only 1 out of every 7 or so releases is truly a classic character.

Screw Howard. I've lost my respect for him... he's ignoring the best sci-fi franchise of our time because he's not a fan... and then he goes on to say there aren't many characters to explore, really? And the costumes are similar? Maybe if he was a fan he'd know better.

Yeah thats a bit [I'm a ****y head]. I assumed they couldn't do Star Trek for some reason not that he just isn't arsed with it.

'Not many characters'? Why would that matter when you'd never be making more than 3 of them anyway? Kirk, Spock and Bones, thats it. Classic versions ideally from TWOK...and Khan himself, so 4 characters. Back to 3 if they left out Bones which they probably would.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not much effort needed to read between the lines there for their business model at large then now, is there. :monkey4 :lol

Yeah thats a bit $h!tty. I assumed they couldn't do Star Trek for some reason not that he just isn't arsed with it.

'Not many characters'? Why would that matter when you'd never be making more than 3 of them anyway? Kirk, Spock and Bones, thats it. Classic versions ideally from TWOK...and Khan himself, so 4 characters. Back to 3 if they left out Bones which they probably would.

Agreed. Kirk, Spock and Khan at minimum. Preferably TOS but TWOK would be awesome too.

Not much effort needed to read between the lines there for their business model at large then now, is there. :monkey4 :lol

:exactly::lol

I truly find it funny that he tries to justify his disinterest in Star Trek by saying there isn't a variety.

Stop making IM figures then. :cuckoo: :lol

Doesn't even mention amazing Spider-Man hold up

'Not many characters to explore'

I can't get over that. I wasn't particularly looking for Star Trek figures anyway but what nonsense. A) there's a lot of characters actually, throughout the entire franchise and B) Hot Toys has never been known to delve really deeply into a range of characters for any franchise, so why should that even be a factor. Different versions of Kirk and Spock would seem right up their alley as far as their previous pattern

Last edited:

It's awesome how they can justify one offs like that Asian singer guy, & yet a Sci-Fi institution like Trek is relegated to 'meh' status.

A little dose of boycott would do their egos a world of good. :lol

It's awesome how they can justify one offs like that Asian singer guy, & yet a Sci-Fi institution like Trek is relegated to 'meh' status.

LOL "Asian singer guy" that's the line of the thread right there!
:hi5:
:lol
:rotfl

But no a boycott will do nothing.
For every one person claiming they'll stop buying Hot Toys
5 people will take their place.

I can see his point. These "New Trek" characters aren't as
memorable as the classic Trek series!

LOL "Asian singer guy" that's the line of the thread right there!
:hi5:

But no a boycott will do nothing.
For every one person claiming they'll stop buying Hot Toys
5 people will take their place.
Yeah, I know. :lol

I'm speaking purely in principle - imagine how tight their [i'm a doodoo head] would close, once the converts started to revolt? It'd be like, " - yes sure!! All the Prometheus characters? You got it sir / madam!!! X-Men 1st Class? Done? We will have them all ready next month!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

I very much agree but I think his position reads like it stands for the entire franchise, not just the reboot.

'Not many characters to explore'

I can't get over that. I wasn't particularly looking for Star Trek figures anyway but what nonsense. A) there's a lot of characters actually, throughout the entire franchise and B) Hot Toys has never been known to delve really deeply into a range of characters for any franchise, so why should that even be a factor. Different versions of Kirk and Spock would seem right up their alley as far as their previous pattern

I don't understand Howard.. he makes all of these unimportant 20+ IM armors that only was in a movie for seconds.. obviously because of money.. but refuses to make two characters like Spock and Kirk which would obviously bring in a lot of cash (A LOT considering the millions of fans out there) just because he isn't a fan. :monkey4

Will never happen. They make too much good stuff.

I very much agree but I think his position reads like it stands for the entire franchise, not just the reboot.

What a-dev said. Sounds like he means the whole ST franchise. He could have said, "I'm not a fan of the new movies". :dunno

So maybe we'll get the 2015 version of Marty by 2015. He didn't mention Doc though, I hope they aren't only planning on Marty. Also kind of disappointing that we won't see any Star Trek figures.

Hot Toys is a business, and businesses are supposed to be concerned with the bottom line above all else, so I don't see what the problem is with that.

Re: Star Trek, he's no doubt speaking to the fact that any potential HT figures would be crewmen, and in the original series there really wasn't much variety apart from color of the outfit. You could do various variations like Kirk in green shirt, evil Kirk, Kirk in 1940s suit, etc., but they realistically wouldn't. Nor would they even strongly consider the aliens. From a business POV though, putting all that aside, it's a smart move to avoid Star Trek IMO. All kinds of Star Trek collectibles have had trouble moving in the past, similar to Indiana Jones stuff. Seems like it wouldn't but. . .it did. Iron Man sells. Those of us not wanting Iron Man and Joker should consider getting into custom figures, because that's the only way most characters fans of other films are going to get their fix.

I liked how this time around he went into some detail even though it may just be his alibi instead of just saying 'delayed'.

I like his last two comments of the interview. :lol
Me too. He's such a proud smarta$$.

Yeah, I know. :lol

I'm speaking purely in principle - imagine how tight their @i$$holes would close, once the converts started to revolt? It'd be like, " - yes sure!! All the Prometheus characters? You got it sir / madam!!! X-Men 1st Class? Done? We will have them all ready next month!!!!"

Give it some more time. If he realizes that the franchise isn't a joke to many fans out there, they'll definitely wanna cash in on it.

Alternatively, his statement leaves the licensing up for grabs for other manufacturers. An opportunity awaits, if you ask me :monkey1

The revolt thing can work if done seriously, you know.

Doesn't even mention amazing Spider-Man hold up
Hmmm, no one asked so......

Back