How to upgrade Aragorn?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! On and off, for years, I have tried searching to figure our what line these 'DiD' figures are from (I'm looking at their Frodo and Sam on eBay right now) and I've never had success because its just the word "did". :lol

Always loved the Gimli figure and now I can search for it. :)

Thank you! On and off, for years, I have tried searching to figure our what line these 'DiD' figures are from (I'm looking at their Frodo and Sam on eBay right now) and I've never had success because its just the word "did". :lol

Always loved the Gimli figure and now I can search for it. :)

Did you ever put "1/6" in the search somewhere? :lol

I really need to upgrade my figures to hot toys bodies someday. Does anybody know if the DiD Aragorn comes with a sheath for the eleven knife? I have the knife from the Toy Biz Roto Cast figure but I have no sheath for it.

It's just a cheap, basic sheath. Nothing special.

DSCF1238.jpg

Bump. I've been experimenting with his Green overcoat. Seems like the more you beat it up, the better it looks. What I did first is rather unorthodox. Please, no minors try what I have below without adult supervision. And for adults who do try this, please be careful, you can melt the coat and ruin it.

For starters I turned the whole thing inside out and took a lighter to the black felt inside. Don't linger to long as it can melt the outer part.
IMO the felt inside is to thick and makes his coat to bulky. If done right the felt burns off down to the material that the felt was attached to. IMO this let the whole coat hang better and got rid of some of the bulkiness.

Remember this is on the INSIDE of the coat on the Black material. Not on the outer part. I experimented a little bit with the flame and length of time the flame was on the material. A couple of areas it "just" started to get too hot and kind of scrunched the material up. This was the effect I wanted and looked pretty good but was to hard to control. Actually went a little to far on the left arm and melted 2 small holes. That's when I decided stop before I ruined the coat.

Next I took it to work for more fun. This stuff I did to the outer part of the coat. I used some rough emery on certain areas which roughed up the material. I tried to imagine what areas would take the most wear, and went from there.

We have a wire wheel on a pedestal grinder at work. I used that to GENTLY shred the very bottom of the coat. This would be the area that would drag when he walked. Some areas on the bottom I would wear through to the black material on the inside. These areas I burnt. I figured walking over a battlefied the bottome of his coat would get burnt from fires.

Lastly which I think benefitted the coat the most. I used our sandblast machine. I went slow as to not completely destroy the coat. I don't know what kind of media we are using in it so sorry. Kept doing a fine dusting front and back to the coat, and checking as I went. Again I went a little to hard on certain areas which may have took to much material off, but oddly enough I think it looks better. The best part of this was it got rid of all the gloss that was on the coat. It now looks to have an even flat finish on the coat.

I still think I am going to work on it some. I want to put some weathering on it. As I've said before, please no minors play with flames unless you have adult supervision. Anyone who tries anything like above, please take your time so you don't destroy his coat. I will try to take some pics but don't know how they will turn out.

Great info! I'd like the duster to be less bulky, and never thought about attempting to remove the felt-like material. Curious - I wouldn't want to attempt any "scrunching" effects, but what distance/length of a lighter would you say is best for just burning away the felt?
I may try the emery for roughing it up some. The only thing I did to customize my duster was drybrush/paint it with a flat acrylic, "muddy up" the lower areas, and create a detailed black leather/threaded piece to cover up the simple brown patch SS put on the right sleeve (I was proud of that little bit).

Cheers, hoodonit! :)

Great info! I'd like the duster to be less bulky, and never thought about attempting to remove the felt-like material. Curious - I wouldn't want to attempt any "scrunching" effects, but what distance/length of a lighter would you say is best for just burning away the felt?
I may try the emery for roughing it up some. The only thing I did to customize my duster was drybrush/paint it with a flat acrylic, "muddy up" the lower areas, and create a detailed black leather/threaded piece to cover up the simple brown patch SS put on the right sleeve (I was proud of that little bit).

Cheers, hoodonit! :)
It's been awhile but IIRC I pretty much had the felt right down to the flame. Just don't linger too long. Take your time. Better to start out slow and get a feel for how it burns then to jump right in and ruin the coat. That's about as far as I got with my Aragorn:(. I have the custom head sculpt from RPT but have never painted it.

No need to go all "pyro" on the duster - I tore off the inner lining by hand just fine. Just take your time.

are there any custom vambraces available out there? I'm looking for a set of the sideshow Boromir ones for a kitbash Aragorn and can't find any anywhere. The DiD ones are pretty poor imitations, and i was wondering if anyone had made any that were worth a look?

are there any custom vambraces available out there? I'm looking for a set of the sideshow Boromir ones for a kitbash Aragorn and can't find any anywhere. The DiD ones are pretty poor imitations, and i was wondering if anyone had made any that were worth a look?

The Art figures The King "Return of the King Aragorn" has vembraces but they are based on his king outfit so that aren't screen acurate but they might work. Best bet is to find an Exclusive Boromir on ebay and then you get vembraces and an elven cloak.

if it's not too much trouble, could somebody who has the Boromir vambraces post a few pictures on here please? I can't find a decently priced Boromir for love nor money, so I'm going to try and see if the DiD ones can be modified, but I need reference pictures.

Many thanks in advance

if it's not too much trouble, could somebody who has the Boromir vambraces post a few pictures on here please? I can't find a decently priced Boromir for love nor money, so I'm going to try and see if the DiD ones can be modified, but I need reference pictures.

Many thanks in advance
I'm too lazy to post pics. If you Google image search Boromirs braces all kinds of pictures come up.

Back