How to upgrade Aragorn?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aragorn looks great!

But I have one question: Is Frodo planing on clobbering someone with the Phial of Galadriel, or does he just like to hod it upside-down for shiggles? :huh

:lol:lol:lol

in my version of the LOTR it's not just a pretty light! we get all kinds of use outta all the things Galadriel gives us!

but in all seriousness, I never thought of how it should be, just plopped it there and it hasn't moved since but now that you mention it, it shall be repositioned :lecture

Bump. I've been experimenting with his Green overcoat. Seems like the more you beat it up, the better it looks. What I did first is rather unorthodox. Please, no minors try what I have below without adult supervision. And for adults who do try this, please be careful, you can melt the coat and ruin it.

For starters I turned the whole thing inside out and took a lighter to the black felt inside. Don't linger to long as it can melt the outer part.
IMO the felt inside is to thick and makes his coat to bulky. If done right the felt burns off down to the material that the felt was attached to. IMO this let the whole coat hang better and got rid of some of the bulkiness.

Remember this is on the INSIDE of the coat on the Black material. Not on the outer part. I experimented a little bit with the flame and length of time the flame was on the material. A couple of areas it "just" started to get too hot and kind of scrunched the material up. This was the effect I wanted and looked pretty good but was to hard to control. Actually went a little to far on the left arm and melted 2 small holes. That's when I decided stop before I ruined the coat.

Next I took it to work for more fun. This stuff I did to the outer part of the coat. I used some rough emery on certain areas which roughed up the material. I tried to imagine what areas would take the most wear, and went from there.

We have a wire wheel on a pedestal grinder at work. I used that to GENTLY shred the very bottom of the coat. This would be the area that would drag when he walked. Some areas on the bottom I would wear through to the black material on the inside. These areas I burnt. I figured walking over a battlefied the bottome of his coat would get burnt from fires.

Lastly which I think benefitted the coat the most. I used our sandblast machine. I went slow as to not completely destroy the coat. I don't know what kind of media we are using in it so sorry. Kept doing a fine dusting front and back to the coat, and checking as I went. Again I went a little to hard on certain areas which may have took to much material off, but oddly enough I think it looks better. The best part of this was it got rid of all the gloss that was on the coat. It now looks to have an even flat finish on the coat.

I still think I am going to work on it some. I want to put some weathering on it. As I've said before, please no minors play with flames unless you have adult supervision. Anyone who tries anything like above, please take your time so you don't destroy his coat. I will try to take some pics but don't know how they will turn out.

Last edited:
If that can help here's the one i have made using the sideshow version.

IMG_4845.jpg

And soon this shall be in my home, along with your Legolas :rock :rock

Still gutted I missed out on the Gimli you did :monkey2

It looks like Seb darkened his version quite a bit through some means, paint?, and now it has more of a subdued look. To me, aside from the sculpt needing a repaint the coat just begs to be beaten to hell and darkened a shade. Seb's/GB's is perfect.

That does look good, you can especially notice how it sits nicer due to the felt being removed. May try it just not with the burning method! :lol

Wow, that really makes a lot of difference! Well done... the coat on the stock figure is just too clean and shiny.

So I started looking at pics of Aragorn's outfit in preperation for a little customizing that I plan on doing sometime soon. I found these, sorry for the massive size of the pics but I think they might be helpful:

8583_orig.JPG

4979.jpg

Some great customs, particularly with the repaints. Sideshow's sculpt is actually very nice underneath the awful factory paint apps. A repaint will bring it out for sure.

Heres mine.. SST sculpt is really nice just needs some good paint.. and the clothing is nice too.. just need some sand paper and weathering..

DSC00239a-1.jpg

I just picked up an Aragorn figure and transplanted the clothes/head to a Hot Toys True Type body. I've found that the boots don't seem to fit (they are too narrow). Does anybody have any idea as to different boots that would work? I was thinking about painting some DiD WW2 German boots dark green and add some cloth to the top, but I'm not sure that it would look very good.

Here are some reference pics of Sideshow's boots:

m1vdaqOeyWrx4hGNdUkoXlw.jpg

aragorn1.preview.jpg

Also - does anybody have an idea for Ranger cloaks? I picked up some WW2 Japanese officer cloaks, but they don't look as good as I hoped. I want to make a few Rangers of the North, but I can't find an affordable source of cloak.

Thanks in advance!

Rather than find different boots, I would try to modify the True Type to fit.

Thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated!

As for the boots - I wanted something a little more poseable (I upgraded my Boromir with WW2 German jackboots and I think it looks much better). I think I will try painting some DiD leather boots and see how that looks.

Back