how to stop the rubber on your Aliens and Predalien from dissolving

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone simply freaked out after the ed-209 started to crack and some of the aliens bodys split a little. It does freak me out personally to be honest.

My Aliens body was was peeling, and rubbing off...it sucked so much. Hence why I wont buy anymore HT Aliens. Rubber sucks....but it wouldnt be too bad with something with little paint, like Batman...

I haven't bough a HT Alien, and don't ever plan to.

As for my Predators, I open them, assemble them, and put them in a curio. If I was to think anything would be 'bad' for rubber, the first place I'd start looking is some of your oily, grubby hands.

I've watched many a youtube video of people with their collectibles, and I'll wager that half of the people don't EVER wash their hands before handling something.

I haven't bough a HT Alien, and don't ever plan to.

As for my Predators, I open them, assemble them, and put them in a curio. If I was to think anything would be 'bad' for rubber, the first place I'd start looking is some of your oily, grubby hands.

I've watched many a youtube video of people with their collectibles, and I'll wager that half of the people don't EVER wash their hands before handling something.

nope. :horror:monkey2

I usually wear powder-free vinyl gloves when handling all of my figures. Oils and dirt from your hands are horrible for PVC and rubber materials.

As far as preserving HT figures, storage in a cool, dry, enclosed place out of direct sunlight is really the best you can do. I recommend a glass case, or cabinet of some sort.

I like to rub myself down in baby oil before handling my Aliens, it makes for a more enjoyable experience, and as the oil is water based it doesn't harm the rubber. :D

you get up and I'm still not asleep. :rotfl:lol:rotfl

:rotfl do you ever sleep?
I have to be at work for 7am, but I got today off cos I got loads of stuff to do, and I have to take my two kittens to the vets to get them spayed.:monkey2

:rotfl do you ever sleep?
I have to be at work for 7am, but I got today off cos I got loads of stuff to do, and I have to take my two kittens to the vets to get them spayed.

don't do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :monkey4:monkey4
Send one to me in a box and fluffy can have babies .... kittens with it and we will sell em on here in the WTB section !!. :banana:banana:D

And , yeah , I sleep but only when I'm bored. :banana:rotfl

sounds like a good idea.:banana
Maybe we could get the kittens stuffed and sell them as He mans Battle cats, they are about the right size for 12" fgures. :wacky :monkey1

:rock awesome !>:rock:rock:rock

I bet they can't do this though !.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/gY0MSuyaKMk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/gY0MSuyaKMk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Man... I'm going to bed...

but I'm having a glass of Crusha first !. :lol

Besides the rubber on the Ed-209 has any rubber on an HT figure rotted? I have BBi and Dragon figures from 10 years ago with rubber parts and so far no splitting, cracking or discoloration. Why panic before you have a reason too?

And telling HT to not use the material because it might be a problem some day? So instead you'd want figures that cost more and don't look as good because they just might, possibly, last a little longer?

yep..other than ED-209 the rubber doesn't "rot" but there was the older muscle bodies that seemed to crack around the elbows..

I think everyone simply freaked out after the ed-209 started to crack and some of the aliens bodys split a little. It does freak me out personally to be honest.

the Alien bodies came apart at the chest seam. my brown AVP did it. it's not a "rubber" issue but a stress on a seam..

WORTH A TRY:
Two processes are of special importance in the preservation of rubber: oxidation, a chemical deterioration, and crystallization, a molecular restructuring that causes the material to loose its elasticity. Modern rubber, such as that found in NASM spacesuits, is highly susceptible to oxidation, and will slowly crystallize at room temperature.

Rubber can be preserved against oxidation by cold storage but only at the cost of consideraly accelerating crystallization. However, it was found that such low temperature crystallization is reversible through heating, and that crystallization occurring at sufficiently low temperatures will be completely reversed by returning the object to room temperature. This was found also to be valid for rubber that has already undergone appreciable chemical change through oxidation. Hence, cold storage provides an effective long-term preservation strategy for rubber.

So, if you freeze them and return it to room temp. It'll make them last longer?
Won't they just oxidize again?

Back