how to stop the rubber on your Aliens and Predalien from dissolving

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyda

Super Freak
Reaction score

some said Armorol but heaps said not to, we all pain around 200-250 for these things (EACH)

so there has to be a way to make it last forever right???????

nope , not really....

Its rubber ... it rots.

It sucks but it rots. Quicker than other things and it does suck. :(
Theres probably some things we can use to make it last longer but it will rot.
Its why I'm not buying anymore.

treat it with love and respect. take it out on a date once in a while, thats what i do, no problems yet :huh you guys just dont know how to treat them right

some said Armorol but heaps said not to, we all pain around 200-250 for these things (EACH)

so there has to be a way to make it last forever right???????

take a crap load of pictures with it, that way the memory of it will last forever after it dissolved away.

So I guess this also applies to TDK Batman. I would hate to see the suit rot away. It sucks to spend $100s of bucks for it rot eventually, when my $10 figures have been holding up fairly well in terms of looks and loose parts :lol.

Doesn't HT offer any methods for taking care of their figures?
Like I've said before, you should call Cinemaquette and ask about the powder they use for taking care of their silicone pieces.
Other than that, maybe, petroleum jelly would protect it. But, I can't see how the rubber would dissolve. Unless, it's being played with like a toy or being displayed in the sunlight.

Doesn't HT offer any methods for taking care of their figures?
Like I've said before, you should call Cinemaquette and ask about the powder they use for taking care of their silicone pieces.
Other than that, maybe, petroleum jelly would protect it. But, I can't see how the rubber would dissolve. Unless, it's being played with like a toy or being displayed in the sunlight.

It doesn't actually dissolve. Rubber hardens,dries up, and cracks with age.
I shudder when I think about my HT Batman years from now :monkey2

The original Yoda puppet from TESB disintegrated. I'm pretty sure it was constructed of some type of injected foam/latex. Also, most Kenner Star Wars Dagobah playsets have disintegrated swamp foam.These two instances don't bode well for my Dallas, Kane or Batmans.

You can preserve leather, which much like rubber, breathes so you're got to be able to preserve rubber. I'm guessing whatever that petroleum-based smell is when you open a figure is the key to keeping the rubber from becoming brittle. When you first pull a figure out of the box, it has that greasy feel to it. That's got to be the key, but what is that stuff or is it just a natural reaction of the rubber?

wait, is this gonna happen to my ht predators' dreads?
if my favorite figures start falling apart, i'll have no choice but to burn ht to the ground.

buy statues if you want it to last longer.
statues aren't posable, customizable, or made in a standard format.
all they do is weigh more, cost more, and collect dust.
and they're not any more durable than figures are. you're just trading posability for brittleness.
incidentally, this is a thread about figures.
I've written HT a few times asking if they have any recommendations on how to care for the figures, but no answer...
i'm guessing they'd lose money if they had to address all of their figure issues.

I've written HT a few times asking if they have any recommendations on how to care for the figures, but no answer...
Maybe if we bombarded them with emails threatening to not buy anymore rubber figs they'd stop making them? They seemed to have listened to us complain about the snapping limbs and loose ankles on the aliens.

Maybe if we bombarded them with emails threatening to not buy anymore rubber figs they'd stop making them? They seemed to have listened to us complain about the snapping limbs and loose ankles on the aliens.

I'm not sure if any threats like that would work :), but we can certainly try E-mailing them politely first. I just wrote them, hopefully they might reply. The last time I wrote to them they replied within two days, so hopefully it shouldn't take long.

But for some of us it's true. I'm not buying anymore rubber figs. My Dallas is packed in his box ready to go on eBay some day.

Back