how to stop the rubber on your Aliens and Predalien from dissolving

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But for some of us it's true. I'm not buying anymore rubber figs. My Dallas is packed in his box ready to go on eBay some day.

ditto. I think I might sell Kane and Dallas you know.
I hate the idea of it but every hot toys figure I buy seems to be going to rot. I want these things to last. :(

statues aren't posable, customizable, or made in a standard format.
all they do is weigh more, cost more, and collect dust.
and they're not any more durable than figures are. you're just trading posability for brittleness.
incidentally, this is a thread about figures.

i'm guessing they'd lose money if they had to address all of their figure issues.

Why would I want poseable? I dont play with toys, those days are long behind me.

I'd wager that polystone or resin is way more durable than plastic/rubber. Isn't that why this thread was started? Because your rubber figures are bound to deteriorate at a much faster rate than the paint on a polystone sculpted statue ever would.

it irratates me that Dutch's arms are rubber. I might change the body and keep his top on.
I think from now on with hot toys I'm not gonna buy anything unless its all plastic.
I know the predators dreads are rubber ( or something like that thats bound to rot ) but after pred 1 theres nothing more they can really tempt me with. I'm not interested in the lost preds in figure form and I'm unlikely to buy anything from anymore avp movies now.

Last edited:
Either they know their aliens won't last long and are simply avoiding the question, or they are in fact made of a silicone-like isotope and they're keeping it a "trade secret".

I personally at this moment in time would have a better time beliving they are just avoiding the question. You never know though with hot toys , they always suprise. :lol

I'm just grateful my marines aren't rubber !. :lol :rock

WORTH A TRY:
Two processes are of special importance in the preservation of rubber: oxidation, a chemical deterioration, and crystallization, a molecular restructuring that causes the material to loose its elasticity. Modern rubber, such as that found in NASM spacesuits, is highly susceptible to oxidation, and will slowly crystallize at room temperature.

Rubber can be preserved against oxidation by cold storage but only at the cost of consideraly accelerating crystallization. However, it was found that such low temperature crystallization is reversible through heating, and that crystallization occurring at sufficiently low temperatures will be completely reversed by returning the object to room temperature. This was found also to be valid for rubber that has already undergone appreciable chemical change through oxidation. Hence, cold storage provides an effective long-term preservation strategy for rubber.

Why would I want poseable? I dont play with toys, those days are long behind me.

I'd wager that polystone or resin is way more durable than plastic/rubber. Isn't that why this thread was started? Because your rubber figures are bound to deteriorate at a much faster rate than the paint on a polystone sculpted statue ever would.
i'd guess that you probably know this is a forum for collectors. so, i dunno where you're going with the whole "i'm too sophisticated for figures" angle.
anyway, i can agree to disagree about durability of figures vs statues. but, none of my figures are falling apart and i've had 2 statues break in shipping.
and just from personal experience, i get way more out of investing in lots of figures instead of a few statues.
Either they know their aliens won't last long and are simply avoiding the question, or they are in fact made of a silicone-like isotope and they're keeping it a "trade secret".
i'd be surprised if they knew, or cared about the long-term durability of their figures. they already got your money.

i'd be surprised if they knew, or cared about the long-term durability of their figures. they already got your money.

Brand loyalty comes to mind.
If they don't satisfy their loyal customers now, they won't have any in the future. Word gets around fairly quickly nowadays, so I suspect soon after they'll go the way of Palisades.

^ You read this Hot Toys?
Tell us what we want to know! :thwak ...... OR ELSE!

Thanks for the info. I've been googling info for this and found some links for patents of something regarding oxidation. So basically there's nothing you can really do, or spend a lot of money for a customized cold storage cabinet.

WORTH A TRY:
Two processes are of special importance in the preservation of rubber: oxidation, a chemical deterioration, and crystallization, a molecular restructuring that causes the material to loose its elasticity. Modern rubber, such as that found in NASM spacesuits, is highly susceptible to oxidation, and will slowly crystallize at room temperature.

Rubber can be preserved against oxidation by cold storage but only at the cost of consideraly accelerating crystallization. However, it was found that such low temperature crystallization is reversible through heating, and that crystallization occurring at sufficiently low temperatures will be completely reversed by returning the object to room temperature. This was found also to be valid for rubber that has already undergone appreciable chemical change through oxidation. Hence, cold storage provides an effective long-term preservation strategy for rubber.

Brand loyalty comes to mind.
If they don't satisfy their loyal customers now, they won't have any in the future. Word gets around fairly quickly nowadays, so I suspect soon after they'll go the way of Palisades.

^ You read this Hot Toys?
Tell us what we want to know! :thwak ...... OR ELSE!
that's why brand loyalty is bullcrap. my money goes to whoever makes what i want the best way possible.
as soon as someone makes better 1:6 scale aliens, i'll tell ht where to stick their over-priced flimsy figures.
the problem is they're the only ones making 1:6 aliens, period. there's no competition, or incentive to improve.
so, people will keep buying their sub-par products and continue to squeeze everyone else out of the market.

why are people so paranoid about their HT aliens rotting? :confused: I sometimes leave mine outside in the blistering sun for days :monkey4 One time I turned my oven on to preheat it and I forgot that I had stored some new HT aliens in it.:banghead After all this, they still look good as new. as you can see, this one is in perfect condition except that the body is a little out of shape, but it still displays well.

alien.jpg

Besides the rubber on the Ed-209 has any rubber on an HT figure rotted? I have BBi and Dragon figures from 10 years ago with rubber parts and so far no splitting, cracking or discoloration. Why panic before you have a reason too?

And telling HT to not use the material because it might be a problem some day? So instead you'd want figures that cost more and don't look as good because they just might, possibly, last a little longer?

Back