How to remove AOL account from Android (w/Gingerbread updated OS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollectorNC

Super Freak
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove my AOL account from being connected to the "Email" icon on the main screen of my Samsung android. I clicked on "Email" yesterday and assumed it wasn't an all or nothing selection as I wanted to see if I wanted my AOL email on there or another account. Well now, it seems the AOL email is the default account... Reps at ATT said a hard factory reset is the only thing. I can't believe that is the ONLY way. What if people had other accounts, like I'm sure they do, and wanted to switch to those to be linked to the "Email" icon on the main screen? Any ideas or is factory reset the ONLY option. (Please no "you should have gotten an Iphone responses, please. :))

Thanks, Nam, but the problem is that I can't uncheck the AOL account after pressing the "Email" icon, in order to select another account or see a list of accounts. It just says "Default account must be set" when I try to uncheck the default setting for the AOL account. I'd think that with Google owning Android that it would give me the option of making my gmail account the default, but I'm stuck... The web searches I've made haven't been too helpful. Seems everyone's quick fix to anything is a factory reset which I can't believe is the only way, particularly when you read the link you sent me...

Thanks, Nam, but the problem is that I can't uncheck the AOL account after pressing the "Email" icon, in order to select another account or see a list of accounts. It just says "Default account must be set" when I try to uncheck the default setting for the AOL account. I'd think that with Google owning Android that it would give me the option of making my gmail account the default, but I'm stuck... The web searches I've made haven't been too helpful. Seems everyone's quick fix to anything is a factory reset which I can't believe is the only way, particularly when you read the link you sent me...

Have you tried adding another account? When I click on "Mail" it takes me to the account page and then after hitting settings, I have the option to "add account." Try adding another then using the settings to see if you can deselect AOL and select the other as your default? :huh

Have you tried adding another account? When I click on "Mail" it takes me to the account page and then after hitting settings, I have the option to "add account." Try adding another then using the settings to see if you can deselect AOL and select the other as your default? :huh

When I click "Email" icon it takes me directly into the AOL inbox. I have a damn technology background and I can't figure this out. :slap

Under "Accounts and Sync" which I assume is the only place to add an account I have under "Manage Accounts" just the Facebook one and the Gmail one. Sync is off, as is background data as I was trying to save battery and data while away from a wifi spot.

When I click "Email" icon it takes me directly into the AOL inbox. I have a damn technology background and I can't figure this out. :slap

Click settings there and see if you get an "account" prompt. Should look like 3 bars with a key. Press it and you should have "Add account," beneath that a Combined Inbox counter and beneath that your AOL account listed under Accounts.

Click settings there and see if you get an "account" prompt. Should look like 3 bars with a key. Press it and you should have "Add account," beneath that a Combined Inbox counter and beneath that your AOL account listed under Accounts.

Damn I wish I could take screen shots.

It's not intuitive at all on my phone. Do you have the gingerbread update? (not that that means it's much different.)

The weird thing under accounts I have a Facebook icon, but my aol address next to it. I click it, it just brings up the screen to manually sync accounts and calendars etc. I even removed it thinking it was the AOL one, but it was the FB one.

I don't see anything with 3 bars and a key....... I'm going to have to go to three bars if I can't figure this out

Problem is I don't know if you have a different version of android (some phones it's different). So in following some of the suggestions, I couldn't find some of the areas you were talking about. The fact that I can't uncheck the AOL, bothers me. It says I have to have a default. So that's the OS telling me that. But I have a google on on there as well and it doesn't give me an option to switch. Folks at ATT are so quick to say factory reset... There has to be a way to change accounts on a friggin android with the gingerbread OS update.

Problem is I don't know if you have a different version of android (some phones it's different). So in following some of the suggestions, I couldn't find some of the areas you were talking about. The fact that I can't uncheck the AOL, bothers me. It says I have to have a default. So that's the OS telling me that. But I have a google on on there as well and it doesn't give me an option to switch. Folks at ATT are so quick to say factory reset... There has to be a way to change accounts on a friggin android with the gingerbread OS update.

Is AOL a running ap? Maybe stop it and delete it? :dunno

I have a droid razr with the ice cream sandwich OS

Is AOL a running ap? Maybe stop it and delete it? :dunno

No, just checked. All I did was press the "Email" icon yesterday. It prompted me to enter in an email address and pw and then it's been there ever since.

There's only so many section and screens to go in. It's the oddest damn thing I've seen.

Yup. My computer was soooooooo much faster after I removed all the masks and BS programs they use.

Years ago when you had to pay for it, I was paying $27 a month. I got threw off of it (long story) and when they locked me out and took the program away, they also cleaned out things that I had on my hard drive. That's how I knew just how far it had gotten into my computer.

AOL mail looks like Yahoo anyway now. And AOL has changed so much that it's just a waste of time anyway. I used to really like their message boards and chatrooms. Those are all gone now.

Years ago when you had to pay for it, I was paying $27 a month. I got threw off of it (long story) and when they locked me out and took the program away, they also cleaned out things that I had on my hard drive. That's how I knew just how far it had gotten into my computer.

AOL mail looks like Yahoo anyway now. And AOL has changed so much that it's just a waste of time anyway. I used to really like their message boards and chatrooms. Those are all gone now.

:lol I ditched it when I switched to broadband for my business and had an AOL rep tell me that I still had to pay for broadband but also for AOL "broadband" even though all it was, was essentially a mask to cover whatever other company I went through. From that day on, cut everything to free accounts which I only access via their website. I even use Trillian for AIM. NEVER again. :nono :lol

Well, guys, I appreciate the help. I finally figured it out and not even two ATT "technicians" thought to suggest this. (Which I am not surprised.) It's hardly intuitive and after a f_____ day of playing around with a cell phone, I know why my Iphone friends tout Apple. (Either that, or they are just snobs ;))

Anyways... I had ONLY a Email icon on the home screen/unlock screen as I said above. There was no Email icon/app in the applications. But I got an idea about how some apps store defaults, hence the inability to not uncheck the default in the settings of the Email account. So I went into Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All and what do I see...the same email icon from the home screen. I clicked on Email in there and click on Clear Data and it's back to where it should be. I don't know why with all the menus for settings for accounts, it was not there, but I was hiding in Apps even though in my main Apps section there was no icon. Go figure...

Back